Solved Need help with "BrowserModifier:Win32/Suptab!blnk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have a Windows 7 OS on a computer I assembled from parts online to play games. It has rarely had problems, but can't boot into Safe Mode (whenever I try, it gets to the startup screen and then resets).

Yesterday morning (11/4/2016), when I started up my computer, Windows Defender Alert told me about "Potentially harmful software detected." When I clicked to review, I saw 2-3x copies of "BrowserModifier:Win32/Suptab!blnk". I took the following steps:

1. Windows Defender had "Disinfect" selected, and I just hit "Apply Actions" to run the disinfect.

2. That didn't work - a few seconds later, "Potentially harmful software detected" showed up again, and it was the same 2 copies of "BrowserModifier:Win32/Suptab!blnk". So then I hit the "Clean System" button.

3. That didn't stop the warning from coming back either. I thought I should try to enable safe mode again, so I followed the steps in the MalwareTips guide "Can’t boot into Safe Mode! – Virus Removal Guide". (Option 1) That included running:
-Combofix
-RogueKiller
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
-HitmanPro
-ESETSirefefCleaner.exe (Service Repair no longer exists)
-AdwCleaner

4. I couldn't enable safe mode. So then I followed the steps in the MalwareTips guide "Remove BrowserModifier:Win32/SupTab (Virus Removal Guide)". That included running:
-AdwCleaner
-Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
-HitmanPro
-Zemana AntiMalware
I haven't yet done the last step of the guide, "5. Reset your browser to default settings", because I really don't want to do that to my browser (I like the settings I have much more than the defaults), and because it's not clear to me how that can help when the first 4 scans/steps didn't even find anything.

5. None of the scans in the previous step found any malware or pup, so I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (which found nothing), and its fixdamage plugin.

6. In Windows Defender, I selected "Quarantine" and I hit "Apply Actions"

So far, nothing has worked. Every few seconds, Windows Defender Alert pops up with "Potentially harmful software detected." When I click to review, I still see the same 2-3x copies of "BrowserModifier:Win32/Suptab!blnk".

Can anyone help?

On a side note, in the instructions for making this post, it says "To make the malware removal process faster and easier, we need the AdwCleaner, FRST and aswMBR scan logs. These reports will provide useful information regarding the state of your computer, and the infected files on your machine. You can find the instructions and download links for these tools on this page: https://malwaretips.com/threads/malware-removal-assistance-how-to-get-help.20334/". However, "aswMBR scan log" isn't there. I don't know what that is, so I didn't include that log.

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    75.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Addition.txt
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: oyens

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

2873ryc.png

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
Files attached.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    76.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Addition.txt
    36.4 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please restart your computer manually.
  • Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on
    4zu6vb.jpg
    icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • The only left thing is to attach saved report in your next message.

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
Attached.

I also attached the other logs I got in case they help.

Attachments

• 2016.11.07-06.00.18-i0-t92-d0.txt
    806 bytes · Views: 1
  • combofix_log.txt
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
  • roguekiller_log.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
  • HitmanPro_20161104_2246.log
    29.5 KB · Views: 2

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Do you still have this problem?

FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition and Shortcut.txt options are checked.

w0rfqb.png

• Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce three logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt, Shortcut.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach them into your next reply.

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
Yes, I still have this problem. Why do you ask? I don't want to sound ungrateful. I'm just confused why I've been asked to run scans 4 times without any other response.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Addition.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Shortcut.txt
    46.7 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
I ask because I don't see any malware on your PC.

Can you go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application and start chrome.exe from there? Let me know if Microsoft still makes a detection?

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
Thanks for replying again!

I am still having this problem. I rebooted the computer and just let it sit a few minutes before starting Chrome (from its source folder, like you said to do). But even in that case - before Chrome opened, I still got the pups.

Kaleb2033

Nov 9, 2016
Hey, my mother's computer had the exact same issue. I ran a few scans and removed it when it came up. Then I reset the browser under advanced settings and restarted the computer and that seemingly fixed it.

Miryafa

Thread author
Nov 5, 2016
I reran the Zemana scan and have attached the results.

It found a couple things having to do with WebOfTrust, so I did the "next->clean" thing. But the SupTab pups still showed up almost immediately after doing that.

I'll try reseting the browser now.

Attachments

• 2016.11.09-12.15.16-i0-t92-d2.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 2

BFB2

Nov 11, 2016
[QUOTE="Potentially harmful software detected" showed up again, and it was the same 2 copies of "BrowserModifier:Win32/Suptab!blnk".
QUOTE]
This little devil has been driving everyone crazy for a few days now, because it just kept reappearing. Luckily it's an easy fix. It's a from an error in a recent Windows Defender definition update, which they have now corrected. All you have to do is check for updates, and once it downloads and installs, poof, that nasty red box turns to green, and stays that way. It's not your computer, it's Windows Defender.....

Reactions: Miryafa and Berny

BFB2

Nov 11, 2016
Can you choose remove/delete instead of quarantine when you get this detection?
Why would you bother doing that? Read the response right before yours. That you got the alert was due to an error by Defender which has been corrected. Update your Defender, and the error is gone. The 'problem' does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.