Advice Request Need recommendation for Chrome browser extension VPN

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
neon just to clarify chrome leaks webrtc even with ublock origin, block webrtc option selected or with addon webrtc prevent . On its own Tunnelo does sucessfully block webrtc so local ip address never shown.So easiest to use
Hoxx &Zenmate do not block webrtc but used with "webrtc network limiter" add on (option 5) it is blocked & local ip address not shown.
Ublock webrtc option does however work in ffox &with hoxx.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Some of my non financial/financial websites where I hold accounts only accept same country vpn servers, in my case UK. Zenmate no good to me as limited servers and none uk. Tunnelo vgood as lots international servers but only one uk. Hoxx even more servers & 10 Uk servers when I need to alternate them. I use both in chrome & hoxx works better for me in ffox. Both pass the IPLeak.Net test but i have Google Dns not isp one.
Whats the data limit in free version of Hoxx?

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I recommend Windscribe VPN
+1 for Windscribe

I've used most of the other free VPNs recommended here and Windscribe is clearly the best. You may want to install the desktop version too or instead of the extension. Whatever you choose, It's clean, light, nice UI, no crapware, pretty fast, p2p compatible, ipv6 leak and DNS leak protection, disconnect kill feature and no logging. You get 10GB free per month but look out for free offers for it in the Giveaway section such as the 50GB per month one @Rishi posted there recently.

Last edited:

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I read that but couldn't find the limited data i.e how limited per day or per month, MB allowed, etc...?
herewith response from Hoxx , I like free & fast & adequate limits for me & also use tunnelo free extn
"Our daily limit is 4 GB. Which makes ~120GB per month. This is usually enough for daily usage. But you can upgrade your account to premium to gain more speed and unlimited bandwidth."

D

Deleted member 2913

Testing with ipleak.net test shows webrtc not blocked by any means in chrome when using free extensions DOT , Hoxx etc , and Chrome extension web rtc leak prevent does not work .I use Hoxx free Vpn extension in Slimjet a browser itself that does block WebRTC, or Hoxx in Firefox where add on webrtc disable does block .I use Google or Open Dns to make DNS tracking difficult/impossible. Hoxx has 12 servers in Uk & many more worlwide and its free. I test with Ipleak test and my ip address & Webrtc never shown at all using these methods.
WebRTC only affects extensions or desktop installed VPN too?

Bryan Lam

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2015
Try surfeasy VPN bud.

If you want privacy for banking and such, i wouldn't recommend any VPN that's free because they all keep logs. I'd just go to a provider such as NordVPN. It's about $35 (USD) A year for no logs and a few hundred servers.

D

Deleted member 2913

I need to use VPN occasionally to unblock sites that are blocked here in India...so I dont need high speed/data And decent speed & 100-200 MB data monthly is good for me.

Browser extension - it will always load with the browser.
VPN install - atleast 1 service will always run.

What you think should I use?

Reactions: frogboy

simbelmayne

Level 3
Verified
Jul 4, 2016
I use Zenmate free version, and it works good enough for Russia, where half of all interesting websites are restricted. Don't see any reason to buy a full version.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
WebRTC only affects extensions or desktop installed VPN too?

I check with IP Leak Test & find on its own Tunnelo VPN extn does sucessfully block webrtc in Chrome so local ip address never shown.Very fast So easiest to use
Hoxx &Zenmate etc do not block webrtc in Chrome but used together with "webrtc network limiter" extension (& option 5) it is blocked & local ip address not shown.
Ublock Origin webrtc option does however work in Firefox &with Hoxx which has over 50 servers & 16 in UK (hence my choice in FFox ). Cyberghost free good desktop VPN has own Dns & doesn’t leak WebRTC but have to queue & delays to connect plus 3 hour usage limit.

Re DNS I have Open DNS /Google DNS so location my ISP cant be pinpointed. Hope this makes sense.

D

Deleted member 2913

I check with IP Leak Test & find on its own Tunnelo VPN extn does sucessfully block webrtc in Chrome so local ip address never shown.Very fast So easiest to use
I guess Tunnelo VPN successfully blocks webrtc coz it has an option block/disable webrtc & its enabled by default, right?

Vivaldi has an option to disable webrtc And it works good i.e ipleak shows VPN IP & not real IP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: broughie

Vanduss

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
+1 for Windscribe

I've used most of the other free VPNs recommended here and Windscribe is clearly the best. You may want to install the desktop version too or instead of the extension. Whatever you choose, It's clean, light, nice UI, no crapware, pretty fast, p2p compatible, ipv6 leak and DNS leak protection, disconnect kill feature and no logging. You get 10GB free per month but look out for free offers for it in the Giveaway section such as the 50GB per month one @Rishi posted there recently.
+1 for windscribe as well, been using the desktop version + extension and its the best, no ads either and free 50 gb is totally worth it. enter code: 50GBFREE (to get free gb)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
+1 for windscribe as well, been using the desktop version + extension and its the best, no ads either and free 50 gb is totally worth it. enter code: 50GBFREE (to get free gb)
Thanks. I'm going to try it now. ;)

Reactions: Vanduss
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.