Advice Request Need Security add-on's for Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
I know this is not in the topic, but can you list the best extensions in the security category for FireFox?

Mod Edit: Thread Split.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I know this is not in the topic, but can you list the best extensions in the security category for FireFox?
Tor Browser uses NoScript and HTTPSEverywhere. uBlock and similar are also good but Tor doesn't want it for reasons that websites will ban Tor browsers more. Essentially, usability issue at scale.
@Evjl's Rain I'm sorry this had to be done.
dims.gif

Reactions: BugCode and frogboy

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Better to stick to a few blocklists which are actively maintained (e.g. Peter Low, Adguard, Disconnect), meaning old obsolete entries are removed (problem with community lists is that many people add new entries, but few remove obsolete rules).

Example uB0 with
- easy list + privacy = over 45K rules, go to a few websites, e.g. forbes it shows 15 (out of 23) domains connected
- Peter Low's + Adguard privacy = less than 7.5K rules, same forbes website shows 16 (out of 27) domains connected (on firefox in stead of Peter Low's list you can also use Disconnect Malvertising filter which includes Peter Low's list, but adds 2.5K rules for latest malvertising links).

You will see simular results on popular (Alexa top 1000) websites.

When you visit that website with Chrome and the Avari Safe Browsing extension installed, you will see that it blocked 12 ad and tracker networks (which is pretty close to uB0 score with < 7.5K rules). Advantage of Avira Safe Browsing it does a better job than a uB0 with many filter lists enabled (see Evjl's rain video) and triggers less adblock-wall's.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Better to stick to a few blocklists which are actively maintained (e.g. Peter Low, Adguard, Disconnect), meaning old obsolete entries are removed (problem with community lists is that many people add new entries, but few remove obsolete rules).

Example uB0 with
- easy list + privacy = over 45K rules, go to a few websites, e.g. forbes it shows 15 (out of 23) domains connected
- Peter Low's + Adguard privacy = less than 7.5K rules, same forbes website shows 16 (out of 27) domains connected (on firefox in stead of Peter Low's list you can also use Disconnect Malvertising filter which includes Peter Low's list, but adds 2.5K rules for latest malvertising links).

You will see simular results on popular (Alexa top 1000) websites.

When you visit that website with Chrome and the Avari Safe Browsing extension installed, you will see that it blocked 12 ad and tracker networks (which is pretty close to uB0 score with < 7.5K rules). Advantage of Avira Safe Browsing it does a better job than a uB0 with many filter lists enabled (see Evjl's rain video) and triggers less adblock-wall's.
Quite unlucky thing you got there probably because you don't browse purely English sites.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Quite unlucky thing you got there probably because you don't browse purely English sites.
Forbes is not Dutch, in fact except for 5 Dutch sites all other websites in my bookmarks are all US+UK+AU+CA based (okay and one Österreich = AV-Comparatives and one from Deutschland = AV-test). Canada is at the moment number one, because I am planning to vsit it this year (Canada 150)

Have a look at this test: 10 Ad Blocking Extensions Tested for Best Performance • Raymond.CC - Page 2

Ghostery with around 4500 rules performs neraly as good as uBlock origin with many more rules (in default mode 66k network and 43k cosmetic rules). uBlock0 has a more efficient filter engine.

uBlock0 with say 10.000 rules (Malvertising of Disconnect and Privacy of Adguard) will even put less strain on your CPU (with 10% of the rules 90% of the result and way less irritating adblock walls telling you to whitelist this website).

Tested Forbes with my own rules set which I use on my Asus Transformer with uB0 (5210 rules + 6 rules of UB0 expiremental). Only 4 (out of 17) domains connected. Also tried CNN also only 4 domains connected, HuffingtonPost 10 connected

Attachments

• ublock-my-static-filters.txt
    147.1 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Ghostery doesn't block youtube ads here and Ghostery and the other popular tracking extensions are already WebExtensions.
Aren't many of the ad rules in Easylist cosmetics? Besides, I doubt all the rules are enacted upon when you visit a site so the difference between the two won't be proportional. I also found uBlock Filters and Adguard English counters some anti-adblock, blocking inline scripts counters some.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I have Ublock origin using ads , privacy & malware filters. Also have Vtzilla extension which I use to security check all progs/apps "Before" downloading them, a most useful facility not available in chrome browsers.Plus use it to scan any suspect sites visited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.