Status
Not open for further replies.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Hi! you can a https everywhere and privacy badger to your browser extensionlist , hitman pro alert is NOT an on demand scanner , unless you mean hitman pro. I would replace webroot for something else ( norton or emsisoft ) if I where you when the subscription runs out. webroot is sort of mediocre ( without starting a flaming discussion here ;) ) thanks forsharing your config with us :)

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Hi Trickster thanks for the advice. I know HitmanPro.alert is not an on demand scanner, but its the same scanner there is in Hitman Pro, and I assumed people knew that. Oh well.I probably change to only use Zemana free and MBAM free when my HMP.alert runs out.

Reactions: hd35

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Hi, what I would suggest you doing is:
  • Add another second opinion scanner, like Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Norton Power Eraser.
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere
  • As Trickster suggested, switch to a different AV when your Webroot subscription ends. They don't have the best detection rate in independent tests, and it takes them some time to rollback malicious actions. For a good, light AV, I would suggest Trend Micro or ESET. (But if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of performance Kaspersky is better)
Thanks for sharing your config! :)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
nice real-time protection you got there;)
I tried Webroot before the only problem I found was about some FP and not very good heuristics analysis..anyway its good or at least it's the lightest av in the world:rolleyes::p
I guess HPA will cover the Webroot weaknesses.
if you like You can add a free sandbox to this setup and surf the web into the sandbox.
thnx for sharing:)

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Thanks for the answers. I know Webroot dont belong in the top, but still it have kept me clean of malware over 7 years. I love it is so light. I dont know, maybe I have just been lucky. That was the reason I added HMP.alert. But I think the end of it will be that I switch too Emsisoft, so I have one application that run the fortress.I feel reasonably sure with both WSA and HMP.alert together, but I think I can just as well use one good app.

Last edited:

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Ugh this is spooky. Today I installed Emsisoft Malware and I am shocked. Just to try my security with some tests, I took 3 tests at Stackhackr Barkly, and only Webroot responded on the 3 test. Emsisoft ate all 3. It seems it was good I picked a new antimalware product.Its not especially heavy either.
I chose Emsisoft Malware, because I have a NAT router together with Windows firewall, so I think my firewalls should be adequate. But damn, those test learned me a lesson.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Please update any changes made by editing your config.

Reactions: Nevi and JM Safe

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Thank you.
Done and done.:)

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I tried to install HTTPS Everywhere, but I had to uninstall it again, because half (or more) of the sites I tried to get into was blocked by HTTPS E. because my connection was not private.I have an extension called Stumpleupon that I use alot. That also became totally unsuable. Damn software.

Last edited:

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
I am not using Stumbleupon but have never issues with HTTPS everywhere, no matter if on chrome, firefox or vivaldi...

I don't know what happend to your browser but perhaps there is an issue with other installed extensions...

Reactions: Nevi

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Its okay I live with it. I think I´m pretty safe with Emsi and HMP (paid).

Last edited:
Reactions: Glashouse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.