Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

NEW Avast Version 21.8 (September 2021)

Hi, all. Please welcome the newest version of Avast AV: 21.8 (21.8.2487)

Major public announcement:
  • A new logo for Avast! — As the digital world changes, we change with it. We’re proud to unveil a new expression of our identity, reflecting our continued commitment to protecting people’s digital freedom
Other notable improvements in the release:
  • Sign in more securely — We're now using OpenID, a more secure sign-in standard, to sign you in to your Avast Account
  • Improved exceptions — It's now possible to add exceptions solely for Behavior Shield
  • Fixed a tray icon bug — Our system tray icon now shows the proper status of shields after a PC restart
  • Password Protection update - we're now protecting newly created backup files of passwords stored in the browser
  • Firewall tweaks - We're now blocking switching to public profile when RDP is used
As usual a big thanks goes to the team for yet another successful release!

How to install:

1. Update from your existing Avast version via Settings -> Update -> Update program

2. Or you can download and install files:

Online installers (recommended):
Offline installers:

(In case the hyperlink here wouldn't work in your browser, just paste and copy the URL to the browser address bar)

With best Regards
Mops21

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
added firewalls to the free version.

Screenshot_3.jpgScreenshot_4.jpgScreenshot_5.jpgScreenshot_6.jpgScreenshot_7.jpgScreenshot_8.jpgScreenshot_9.jpgScreenshot_10.jpgScreenshot_11.jpgScreenshot_12.jpg

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm running same build as images on post #2 above but firewall isn't even an installable component let alone one you can choose to enable or not! (Perhaps it's only available in certain regions at this time?)
Yeah, it's not fully available yet. It didn't appear in the installer for me for a couple of times. I had to remove temp and dnscache multiple times for it to make appear in the installer.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I'm running same build as images on post #2 above but firewall isn't even an installable component let alone one you can choose to enable or not! (Perhaps it's only available in certain regions at this time?)
Perhaps now Avast is in the process of gradually expanding its use of firewalls.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
With the launch of Avast One & searches for Avast Free being redirected to Avast One Essential it's only a question of time before Avast Free is discontinued which is a shame because it's so customisable & has hardened mode. Not sure whether to stick with Free until it dies, switch to Avast One with all its dumbed down bloat or finally move to Defender combined with a few of Andy Ful's hardening tools... decisions, decisions :)

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
With the launch of Avast One & searches for Avast Free being redirected to Avast One Essential it's only a question of time before Avast Free is discontinued which is a shame because it's so customisable & has hardened mode. Not sure whether to stick with Free until it dies, switch to Avast One with all its dumbed down bloat or finally move to Defender combined with a few of Andy Ful's hardening tools... decisions, decisions :)
Actually it isn't redirecting to me yet to Avast free essential when I search for it or directly download the free version from their website :unsure: But yeah I guess they'll slowly move it towards Avast One. The main thing they need to do with Avast One is to give users the ability to not install bloatware. I'm looking forward to their next update to see if they enable that option for the users.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Certainly redirects to and download links are for Avast One in the UK but then isn't it initially being launched/targeted in US, UK, Canada, and Australia? I'm sure I read that somewhere. The ability to remove the bloat would certainly improve it.

Last edited:

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
The use of more (smaller) processes are not a bad thing. I have more problems with the redesign of the software.

Reactions: KonradPL

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
Has Avast One replaced Avast Ultimate? I couldn't find the Ultimate bundle on the official website.

gonza

Level 2
Sep 10, 2019
The use of more (smaller) processes are not a bad thing. I have more problems with the redesign of the software.
You are right! More processes is not a bad thing per se, but it's bloatware when you are forced to install a VPN, a pc cleaner, an optimizer, a process booster, a driver updater, etc. Avast was one of the few security suites that you could choose what to install and that was great. Someone could argue that this new installer is for non techie people and I think that's a good thing. But it was under advanced options, so you had to click and select it only if you wanted. So I really don't understand this trend to give less and less options (I'm looking at you, Windows 11)

Pd: I'm trying my best to write in english.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.