New beta version of Windscribe v1.82

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Just got an update for a new beta version of Windscribe.

ScreenHunter_109 Jun. 26 10.02.jpg

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I read somewhere that the beta version of Windscribe has the IKEv2 protocol which seems to have solved most speed issues that users had.
Have you noticed any speed improvements?
IKEv2 has been available since the release of 1.81 in February and is used as the default protocol.
Speed's a lot better than it was before IKEv2 was introduced but temper your expectations.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
I read somewhere that the beta version of Windscribe has the IKEv2 protocol which seems to have solved most speed issues that users had.
Have you noticed any speed improvements?

I get good speeds even connecting to the UK. one thing I noticed is if I select uk checking best location does not wok anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Uuh, free Server in Germany! What's the speed like? With ProtonVPN I get usually 50Mbps, though it is Netherlands, USA and Japan only. :/
EDIT: Omg... this is amazing! The options you have! You can even disable the Windscripe Ethernet adapter and it still works because it uses a WAN miniport! And it is very fast! (With low country-network usage due to late-ness of time-stuff) I need to write in its actual thread...

Anyway: I clicked Beta channel, but it doesn't update. Do I just have to wait? :emoji_grimacing:

EDIT: Ok this is practically "its thread". :D
I love it! It is the best I tried so far. And I tried ProtonVPN, ExpressVPN, RandomVPN and OtherVPN! (I know I tested more than two so the last two are placeholders. :D)
Pros:
- Right now it is as fast as can be. (That is 100Mbps down and 6Mbps up) Yes, it is quite late, but still...
- You get ALL the options!
- Seriously! This is like daytime coming from Proton- and ExpressVPN!
- The 2GB-if-you-don't-register-with-your-email thing is easily circumvented if you have enough emails. Just use one that you usually get spammed-to-death on! :ROFLMAO:
- Up to 15GB per month for free!
- An actually working "kill-switch"! Even when you fully close the Program you'll have no internet access! Nice. (How that works together with my Firewall ... I don't know. I use Simplewall. So far no obvious issues)
- You can mine Monero coins by haveing a page on their site open, in order to redeem points for things like: Reset Bandwidth, 1 month pro for free and such!! Super great!

Cons:
- At connection reset the settings I made in the WAN miniport are also reset. I don't like that since it has IPv6, File and Printer Sharing and Client For Microsoft Networks on by default.
- The IPv4 socket also has NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP by default. :emoji_sob: (Not sure if that is necessary, but I would like to)
- If you try to reconnect it to disable NetBIOS, it just resets all the settings. :emoji_sob:
- The WAN miniport disappers when you close the program. (Settings reset)

- Only 10GB per month for free if you don't tweet about them.
- Only 15GB max for free... (yes it can be both.) Since I use about 400-500GB per month this does not go very far. :D:emoji_sob:

In facto traffic ProtonVPN beats this, but that provider has on of these non-working Kill-switches. (As well as expressVPN and the others I tested)

Does anyone know how to change the behavior I mentioned in the bolded section? Is there a settings file, maybe? Please don't tell me that is set in the command that creates this WAN miniport, which is somewhere deep in the executable. :/
EDIT: I asked them about it with a support ticket.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
The 2GB-if-you-don't-register-with-your-email thing is easily circumvented if you have enough emails.

The option I received was 1 gig free and 10 gigs free if you give email addy. I don't run full time so 10 gigs is plenty for me. I just got an offer today for unlimited at half off but may have deleted the email

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I received an answer from their support regarding WAN Miniport setting resets after every reconnect. :(
The guy said they'll "see what they can do in future releases". There is no way, AS FAR AS THEY KNOW. :giggle: :LOL:
But if you deactivate this Service: "Remote Access Connection Manager", Windscribe is no longer able to create its WAN Miniports and falls back to using the Ethernet Adapter it created. :ROFLMAO: (It didn't use the ethernet adapter before. You could just disable it. So this is intended as a fail-safe mechanism.)
Its firewall and therefore Kill-Switch function still works. Can't see any draw back so far. (y)

Since this disables NetBios over TCP/IP and other stuff listening on this port, security has increased.:p (I guess:unsure:)

I'm now mining away to get me more gigs per month. You can even let several machines mine at the same time. Neat! (Including mobile)
Unfortunately all my machines are f... slow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::X3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.