Well-known
Oct 2, 2020

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I agree, most changes in last months were about their cloud management system and nothing much about desktop application itself. I guess that their application is stable enough and still effective at it's job.
And still they cannot afford licensing Avira engine? That was their justification at the time. I believe this should be their next step if it is still possible (because of NortonLifeLock acquisition).

Reactions: show-Zi and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
And still they cannot afford licensing Avira engine? That was their justification at the time. I believe this should be their next step if it is still possible (because of NortonLifeLock acquisition).
Maybe they want to wait until Avira is in a stable state again. It got passed around quite a lot lately. Let's see what the acquisition brings over time...

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Maybe they want to wait until Avira is in a stable state again. It got passed around quite a lot lately. Let's see what the acquisition brings over time...
You are right. Unfortunately, developing in-house engine is not an option for them (though they have one which is mainly focused on PUPs) for it demands manpower and much resources. Using BD engine is not a good choice and I have personally suffered when I used to play games while using Emsisoft. The ram usage is too high. Moreover, BD engine is not as good as it used to be. I know Emsisoft BB is very strong, but I do believe that blocking malware via signatures is a bit safer (in case of no internet connection which most BBs rely on, so having a signature is good at such cases).
I do like Emsisoft very much and I wish they keep improving.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
isn`t it exactly the opposite? BB is written in the code of the program, while the detections depend on the internet- cloud, streaming updates. :unsure:

Yes and No, for almost all AVs the most of BB first does lookup to cloud detection database for known hash of malware, however, Emsisoft has for sure one of the most effective BB to be able to block/detect suspicious files even in offline mode!

Minimalist

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I would also prefer for them to use Avira's engine if that is possible. Also I would like them to participate again in AV-Comapartives' tests.
Both things probably cost some money and they will most likely invest in either if they think it will bring back some revenue.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Without cloud whit-listing, a BB would might cause a high number of FPs.
Could be solved by keeping local list of known trusted vendors. Like how it's done in Comodo.

Sometimes things I see about security softwares are surprising me. The biggest one for example, how could WiseVector managed to make such a successfull product with arguably much less development budget than those big AV vendors?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Could be solved by keeping local list of known trusted vendors. Like how it's done in Comodo.
Well, I do not know how exactly Emsisoft’s BB works, but I am sure that internet connection is very essential for many products to work effectively. For example when I was using Kaspersky with TAM enabled, Kaspersky blocked many trusted applications when there was no internet (I had Trust digitally signed application unchecked).

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Emsisoft Need to Remove BugDefender Engine & change it with better one (or just it own) , I do't use Emsisoft because they do't pay attention to usres Ideas, I remember long year's ago I send an email address to F-Secure & just request them (about changing engine), after months they change it...
btw I do't mean Emsisoft it that 'bad one' but they can play better....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.