Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
My problem with Avast is their business practices. They don't have a multidevice protection offer, and even if you buy Avast Premier, which is their best suite, they're still gonna try to sell you their VPN, password manager or system cleaner which are included in some other suites.
Yes, that's true. It can be turned off via Settings, but it's simply idiotic in my eyes (why has it not been disabled by default). If I pay for product, I don't want to get advertisements. Still I know why they are there - average Joe will happily click and agree with what's offered (from time to time). So it's direct selling strategy which must be working.

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen

Prayag

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
i would not want a protection suite which comes with a warning :

Installation advice: This program may contain Potentially Unwanted software.

the purpose of protection is defeated if the protection suite contains a pua in itself.

nor would i be interested in any product of a vendor who tells me which browser to use :

image.jpg

i am paying Avast to protect my computer & they should do it irrespective of which browser i use.

i do not think other security software vendors promote a particular browser like Avast does. do they?
Qihoo recommends opera to be installed alongside it.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Qihoo recommends opera to be installed alongside it.

qihoo, who? oh you mean the chinese company which has absolutely no regards for any privacy laws.

are you aware that qihoo has bought opera?

source : Opera browser sold to a Chinese consortium for $600 million

avast does not own chrome nor is it affiliated to chrome in any manner whatsoever. do i need to say more?

are you also aware of the amount of credibility & users that opera has lost ever since it was acquired by qihoo?

source : Opera Browser still safe after being bought out by Qihoo 360 and other chinese companies | Norton Community

Prayag

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
qihoo, who? oh you mean the chinese company which has absolutely no regards for any privacy laws.

are you aware that qihoo has bought opera?

source : Opera browser sold to a Chinese consortium for $600 million

Avast does not own chrome nor is it affiliated to chrome in any manner whatsoever. do i need to say more?

are you also aware of the amount of credibility & users that opera has lost ever since it was acquired by qihoo?

source : Opera Browser still safe after being bought out by Qihoo 360 and other chinese companies | Norton Community
I knew this fact but I just mean to say that it is also come with bundled softwares.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
I knew this fact but I just mean to say that it is also come with bundled softwares.

for starters if you already knew this then your post about qihoo & opera was not needed.

did you see the image attached with my post? please do not divert this with bundled software etc.

Qihoo recommends opera to be installed alongside it

but of course they will, they paid for the opera browser & they have all right to promote the software they own.

avast on the other hand has nothing, i repeat nothing to do with chrome / google.

i know what bundled software is & that is not what i mentioned. stay on topic.

avast actually has it on their homepage that they want avast subscribers to use chrome.

avast is blatantly promoting chrome which is a whole different ball game & bundled software is way out of this league.

check this out : Product bundling - Wikipedia

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
for starters if you already knew this then your post about qihoo & opera was not needed.

did you see the image attached with my post? please do not divert this with bundled software etc.

but of course they will, they paid for the opera browser & they have all right to promote the software they own.

Avast on the other hand has nothing, i repeat nothing to do with chrome / google.

i know what bundled software is & that is not what i mentioned. stay on topic.

Avast actually has it on their homepage that they want Avast subscribers to use chrome.

Avast is blatantly promoting chrome which is a whole different ball game & bundled software is way out of this league.

check this out : Product bundling - Wikipedia
It used to be a lot worse:
Has the antivirus industry gone mad?

Reactions: ispx

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
@Arequire,

nice read, thank you.

what hit me the hardest in that article is : " When the product is free the real product is YOU "

in all fairness, i can understand avg & panda promoting their own software, kind of like cross selling.

but zone alarm installing the ask toolbar :eek:

getting ask / babylon toolbar in your computer was like getting bubble gum stuck in your hair ;)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
When the product is free the real product is YOU
Yep. AV companies may care about the security of their users but their existence depends on generating revenue, even if that means bundling PUPs or amassing and selling "non-personal" data to third parties.

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
I think its great idea to keep ransomware shield in paid versions it gives the user a reason to pay for something IMO :p.Before I don't even understand why people would even buy it since they bought safe banking to avast free as well! :)

W

WolfensteinXeen

@Arequire,

nice read, thank you.

what hit me the hardest in that article is : " When the product is free the real product is YOU "

in all fairness, i can understand AVG & panda promoting their own software, kind of like cross selling.

but zone alarm installing the ask toolbar :eek:

getting ask / babylon toolbar in your computer was like getting bubble gum stuck in your hair ;)

Man i didn't knew that ZoneAlarm installed the Ask toolbar. I consider any software that has this crap bundled as a PUP.

Thanks for the info ;)

mamamia

Level 3
Verified
Feb 27, 2016
Hi everyone,
new stable version 17.5.2302 has just been released.

What's new:

- New feature: Ransomware Shield (for Internet Security and Premier)

Avast Free without Ransomware Shield.... very dangerous.

W

WolfensteinXeen

Avast Free without Ransomware Shield.... very dangerous.

Why very dangerous ? It's not like Avast removed a feature from the free version. They added a Ransomware Shield to the paid versions, free users will still benefit from the same level protection as they have before.

Also i wouldn't consider using a computer without an anti-ransomeware as "very dangerous".

Orion

Level 2
Verified
Apr 8, 2016
Why very dangerous ? It's not like Avast removed a feature from the free version. They added a Ransomware Shield to the paid versions, free users will still benefit from the same level protection as they have before.

Also i wouldn't consider using a computer without an anti-ransomeware as "very dangerous".

So this was being discussed in a recent talk where i was involved too with avast developers over zoom app.So let me clarify it again,This shield is just a addtional layer for your files it doesn't mean avast free doesn't protect you against ransomware.

The name of this shield is what is making the confusions so we have suggested renaming the shield to avoid such confusions.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Not having an anti ransomware module doesn't mean the free users are less protected, it's like the paid versions of avast having a firewall, it has been like this for a long time.

There are plenty of free anti ransomware protection out there that should be just as effective as avast's ones (which honestly aren't very good at protecting against all ransomware)

Best way to keep safe is still to backup your data in case.

W

WolfensteinXeen

So this was being discussed in a recent talk where i was involved too with avast developers over zoom app.So let me clarify it again,This shield is just a addtional layer for your files it doesn't mean avast free doesn't protect you against ransomware.

The name of this shield is what is making the confusions so we have suggested renaming the shield to avoid such confusions.

I'm not really sure there was anything to clarify. If you read my post I've pretty much sum it up. Also it is my knowledge that you don't necessarily need an anti-ransomware to protect your from ransomeware as it can be blocked by file signature, BB or other components of an AV.

Thanks for the info anyway ;)

W

WolfensteinXeen

Not having an anti ransomware module doesn't mean the free users are less protected, it's like the paid versions of avast having a firewall, it has been like this for a long time.

There are plenty of free anti ransomware protection out there that should be just as effective as avast's ones (which honestly aren't very good at protecting against all ransomware)

Best way to keep safe is still to backup your data in case.

Yep totally agree with you. Nothing beats a backup ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.