New Windows 10 Updates Causing Serious Problems

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Screenshot-2016-04-23-at-15.08.56-1200x382.png

Windows 10 has been getting a lot right lately. After infuriating many with forceful and increasingly sneaky upgrade tactics, Microsoft MSFT -7.22%’s massive Windows 10 ‘Anniversary Update’ restored some faith with a lorry load of great new features. But now problems have struck again after two new Windows 10 automatic updates began causing serious errors…

April updates ‘KB3147461’ and ‘KB3147458’ are at the centre of the controversy. Just after their release Microsoft started an official thread for users to give feedback on the pair and it has since been flooded by nearly 900 responses spread across 88 pages.

Users cite a huge range of issues since installing the updates, including:
-Continuous crash loops (PCs installing the updates, restarting, reinstalling them and restarting..)
-Broken apps (Windows Store, Calculator, Photo Gallery, Messaging, Alarms, Solitaire, etc)
-Star Menu crashes
-‘Critical Error’ pop-ups
-Bluescreens of death

At this stage it remains unclear which of the updates is the bigger problem (it may be both), but I would strongly advise all Windows 10 users pass the word around and sit them out until Microsoft works out where the problems lie. Here are some tips for stopping automatic updates.

All in all this development comes at a bad time for Microsoft. Windows 10 market share is growing, stability has been relatively good during 2016 and the company has demonstrated that it is prepared to continually upgrade the operating system with a steady flow of new features and functionality.

But forced automatic updates never were and never will be a good idea…

READ THE FULL ARTICLE: New Windows 10 Updates Causing Serious Problems

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Had a problem with a security update a few weeks ago. Caused USB controllers to stop functions which effectively meant I get to use my computer for an hour then I have to restart to get back USB port access. Seems to have been fixed (or was a problem with something I had set up - a conflict of sorts).

As for current updates, I've had no problems (thankfully). Regardless, I don't like the new update system. Not being able to pick and choose what updates to install based on what they do is a big downside to Windows 10. Defer isn't really good enough. Correct me if I'm wrong but cumulative updates are still forced on defer however standard updates (to fix a problem for example) are off set. Typically cumulative updates cause the problems for many (including me).

With the way Windows 10 is, having a backup is a must. I'm just waiting for a botched update to ruin my system entirely.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Had to remove the last block from the group policy for the windows store to get rid of two error messages when running the group policy editor.
Else everything seems to run fine with KB3147458

I had more troubles with WU's stupid forced device driver search feature, that is something MS needs to get rid of instead of just giving the wushowhide workaround, if a hardware device has a driver installed MS should keep their paws away instead of trying to force a wrong driver to install.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Compared to Apple or Android apps, Windows apps suck. I uninstalled all the apps, including the Store itself.

I set it up so that I have to manually search for updates. I really dislike Win10 force updating.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Compared to Apple or Android apps, Windows apps suck. I uninstalled all the apps, including the Store itself.

I set it up so that I have to manually search for updates. I really dislike Win10 force updating.
Windows apps sucks opinions have nothing in common with Windows 10 Updates...

Does setting WU to manual remove driver update searching though?
I got mine set to announce when updates are available instead of downloading them directly, it still downloads them pesky drivers though.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Just being honest and if no one else has told you, because you practically have nothing good to say about Windows OS. Instead of complaining and being childish about how Windows operates, format and switch to another OS.

H

hjlbx

You can uninstall all Windows Apps using Windows 10 Privacy or Toggle Tweaker; basically turn Windows 10 Home into a corporate version without any "fluff."

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good to see that I've activated metered connection since my connection here is ridiculous because of data capping.

Since I've upgraded to Windows 10, all updates did not experience any bad issues. One thing happen lately is where Eagleget (old version on my system) create BSOD on the new build of OS.

Other than that, everything seems fine.

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
I have't had any problems after the fresh install of Windows 10, which I did a couple of months ago. When I was using it after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 I did have some problems, but now it works just fine. I had one freeze, but that was from a broken software and some screwed nVidia drivers. Some of my friends reported a couple of problems, but mainly do to their poor configuration and installation of Windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.