Newby question Windows 10 home or pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi guys i catch a Windows 10 pro licence, now i have Windows 10 home on my pc did i have to upgrade? what advantajes i will see?

Reactions: AtlBo

Hi guys i catch a Windows 10 pro licence, now i have Windows 10 home on my pc did i have to upgrade? what advantajes i will see?

Difference Between Windows 10 Home And Pro

There are two primary advantages to Pro:
  • Delay Windows Updates
  • Group Policy Editor
There are other features in Pro, like Hyper-V and BitLocker, but very few people use these additional features

Encrypting your drive using BitLocker is not without problems; you will have to disable BitLocker to update programs, changes that BitLocker detects can lock you out of the system, etc

Pro is very over-priced for what you get

It depends - for me, because I use my system for work, it is worth it to have the option to delay Windows Updates - even though it costs $99 for an upgrade from Home to Pro

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I think the only thing who are valuable is deelay updates . The other option is useless if i are the onlyone who use this Computer rigth?

Reactions: AtlBo and Kuttz

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I gather you get lots of Microsoft featured apps/adverts in the home edition, but Ive never seen any on my Windows 10 Pro.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I prefer the Pro version however that is because I make use of the Pro features.
Most of the differences are security and compatability features as Jeff said above.
If you have a Pro license already then the upgrade is easy and no cost.
If I had a Home version installed and no Pro license on hand then I do not think it is worth the upgrade price.
The majority of users will find the Home Edition meets their needs.
Most all new machines come with Windows 10 Home and if they do come with Pro you are paying for that in the price of the machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul123 and AtlBo
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Delay Windows Updates is the most useful option for me

Group Policy - meh - it's there but I don't use it as I have yet to find any need of it
Home is fine for me & when I want to delay updates I just disable the Windows Update service for a while then re-enable it later - it does work. Home is completely fine for most people but for some Pro is preferred for the reasons already mentioned.

For what one gets in W10 Pro (only BitLocker, Group Policy, Hyper-V - and no longer any AppLocker) nowadays, the cost is unjustified for the vast majority of typical home users. There's nothing particularly special about it, unless you have a specific need for a particular feature.

A cheap license - well, it's OK only if the license is a valid one - and that's always a risky affair. W10 Pro licenses are the most abused, manipulated WIndows licenses available on the market.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
The only other thing that comes to mind is Remote Desktop, which needs a Pro client on one end. I use it regularly, but then there's always free versions of VNC/Teamviewer/AnyDesk etc. as alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.