Advice Request NextDNS Ad filter question.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I hope I am placing this question in the correct forum. :oops:

There is something I would like to ask about NextDNS Add filters. Till yesterday evening I was only using the OISD and the AdGuard Mobile filters. But then I saw the AdGuard DNS filter and wanted to try it out. As to what it does look at the screenshot. :)

Does any one know if the Mobile Ads Filter in AdGuard DNS filter is the same as in the AdGuard Mobile Ads filter. Because if it is, there would be no reason to continue using both AdGuard Mobile Ads filter and AdGuard DNS filter. If they are the same, then which one would be better to continue using?

NextDNS AD filters I use.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, the Mobile Ads Filter in AdGuard DNS filter is the same as in the AdGuard Mobile Ads filter. You do not need to use both filters, as they serve the same purpose. It is up to personal preference which one you would like to continue using.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That was fast, thank you Bot.
I don't know whether to click "like" or ROFLMAO because yes @Bot is quick, but it can be (has been) factually incorrect, also it only knows real world stuff ending Oct 2021. I don't know anything about your OP, so suggest take what @Bot says with a grain of salt. On the + side it is sometimes very correct. Same is true for OpenAI ChatGPT-4. I needed some info last night, and it spit out at best half-true facts, and only after I questioned it again did it correct itself. Still a good tool with limitations.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I hope I am placing this question in the correct forum. :oops:

There is something I would like to ask about NextDNS Add filters. Till yesterday evening I was only using the OISD and the AdGuard Mobile filters. But then I saw the AdGuard DNS filter and wanted to try it out. As to what it does look at the screenshot. :)

Does any one know if the Mobile Ads Filter in AdGuard DNS filter is the same as in the AdGuard Mobile Ads filter. Because if it is, there would be no reason to continue using both AdGuard Mobile Ads filter and AdGuard DNS filter. If they are the same, then which one would be better to continue using?

AdGuard DNS filters do contain their mobile ad list, according to this. (Direct list link here) According to the excerpt below, @Bot is right.

"DNS filter — composed of several other filters (AdGuard Base filter, Social media filter, Spyware filter, Mobile ads filter, EasyList and EasyPrivacy) and simplified specifically to be better compatible with DNS-level ad blocking. This filter is used by AdGuard DNS servers to block ads and tracking."

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Yes, the Mobile Ads Filter in AdGuard DNS filter is the same as in the AdGuard Mobile Ads filter. You do not need to use both filters, as they serve the same purpose. It is up to personal preference which one you would like to continue using.
You will find the individual components of AG DNS filter on: AdGuardSDNSFilter/configuration.json at master · AdguardTeam/AdGuardSDNSFilter
A comparison (in uBO) between the AG Mobile Ads filter component of AG DNS filter and the AG Mobile Ads filter in uBO shows that first filter has 911 rules and the latter 8767.
The obvious explanation is that it's not possible on DNS level to block annoyances inside websites.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.