Advice Request NextDNS thoughts and experiences?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
NextDNS went CPU crazy today while testing phishing links and I had to uninstall it. I don't know if the client got overloaded or what ... :unsure:

Went back to Quad9 since I prefer not to install a DNS client.
Why do you have to use the client at all, or any DNS client software for that matter. Both Firefox and Chrome support DoH. If you're using a VPN, most support third-party DNS server. Just add them so that you don't also use the VPN DNS, and you'll be good to go.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
New in NextDNS:

1644439387700.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I mean you have option to choose two dns in firefox doh settings wich are cloudflare & nextdns, do you know if nextdns has public dns address?
When creating your account you get your unique Configuration ID that you can just copy from your NextDNS dashboard into the costum Firefox DoH field

Screenshot 2022-02-10 143612.png.

The public adresses don't have any filtering, so it's not really a good alternative to Quad9 in this case.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
A little addition: it means that the DNS traffic isn't secured by HTTPS, but all other settings (incl. filterlists) just work as usual.
Maybe I got you wrong, but the public DNS servers don't offer any filtering as they aren't linked to a specific config. If you choose the "NextDNS" option in Firefox you get the NextDNS without filtering (public DNS servers) but with DoH. If you choose to create an account you get your own unique Configuration ID that you have to use everytime you set up NextDNS on a new device. So that your previously chosen blocklists and filter settings from your dashboard are also applied to the new device. You can either choose DoH, DoT / DoQ or no encryption at all.

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
If you choose to create an account you get your own unique Configuration ID that you have to use everytime you set up NextDNS on a new device. So that your previously chosen blocklists and filter settings from your dashboard are also applied to the new device. You can either choose DoH, DoT / DoQ or no encryption at all.
Now I understand what you mean. This quote shows what I meant.

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
You can set it up on the main page of your dashboard.

View attachment 264209

Sorry to harp on this, but I am curious. After signing up an no-ip, I assume you put that domain in your VPN client as an alternate DNS. Is that right? If that's the case I can't do it this way, because mullvad only supports ipv4 custom dns addresses. I wonder is the same method can be done using Win11 DoH.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
sORRY TO HA

Sorry to harp on this, but I am curious. After signing up an no-ip, I assume you put that domain in your VPN client as an alternate DNS. Is that right? If that's the case I can't do it this way, because mullvad only supports ipv4 custom dns addresses. I wonder is the same method can be done using Win11 DoH.
I am not using DDNS so I am not really sure. As far as I know @Shadowra set up his VPN on router level. Routerns normally have a DDNS tab on their configuration page where you can set it up.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I've found a solution that works for Windows 11 DoH. There was a powershell script that does everything for you, after you alter the settings to adjusst to you (ID, device name, and adapter name). It works, based on NextDNS analytics.

#requires -RunAsAdministrator

$id = Read-Host "NextDNS ID"
$device = Read-Host "Device Name (Leave empty if annonymous)"
$template = "https://dns.nextdns.io/" + $id + "/" + $device

$ipv6a = "2a07:a8c0::" + $id.substring(0,2) + ":" + $id.substring(2,4)
$ipv6b = "2a07:a8c1::" + $id.substring(0,2) + ":" + $id.substring(2,4)

Write-Host Adding DOH servers... -ForegroundColor Green
Remove-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 45.90.30.129, 45.90.28.129, $ipv6a, $ipv6b -Erroraction Ignore | Out-Null
Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 45.90.28.129 -DohTemplate $template -AllowFallbackToUdp $False -AutoUpgrade $True
Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress 45.90.30.129 -DohTemplate $template -AllowFallbackToUdp $False -AutoUpgrade $True
Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress $ipv6a -DohTemplate $template -AllowFallbackToUdp $False -AutoUpgrade $True
Add-DnsClientDohServerAddress -ServerAddress $ipv6b -DohTemplate $template -AllowFallbackToUdp $False -AutoUpgrade $True

Write-Host Redirect DNS to DOH... -ForegroundColor Green
Get-NetIPConfiguration | where InterfaceAlias -match "^Mine|^Ethernet" | ForEach { ($_).InterfaceIndex } | ForEach { Set-DnsClientServerAddress -InterfaceIndex $_ -ServerAddresses 45.90.28.129, 45.90.30.129, $ipv6a, $ipv6b }
Now I have system-wide nextdns without the need for DDNS or YogaDNS. I hope that helps anyone with the same issue.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I've found a solution that works for Windows 11 DoH. There was a powershell script that does everything for you, after you alter the settings to adjusst to you (ID, device name, and adapter name). It works, based on NextDNS analytics.

Now I have system-wide nextdns without the need for DDNS or YogaDNS. I hope that helps anyone with the same issue.

If you would have used No-ip's DUC software, you would have done it yourself :) (I just did it to my mother, her box has a dynamic IP)

DUC needs a check every 5min and update NextDNS, since you have to point the domain in your configuration 😉

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Except that wasn't possible for me. My VPN only allows for ipv4 dns address and there are no settings on my router for that. Also Windows 11 didn't like domains, and only accepted ipv4 addresses as well so no-ip was out of the question for me on a system-wide-level. So, I'll just have to link the IPs. After a few days it'll be a non-issue.

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.