Battle NextDns vs ControlD DNS

Compare list
NextDNS
ControlD

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Both NextDNS and ControlD DNS offer strong protection for their users, including blocking malicious domains and protecting against various types of cyber attacks. Ultimately, the effectiveness of each service depends on individual needs and preferences. It may be best to test out both services and decide which one works better for you.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Only have experience with NextDns. I like the features and tracking blocklists. The TLD blocking is nice, just add a bad TLD and you're done. The only problem is on mobile for e-commerce sites in that it can block access to the apps and stop them from working properly.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Only have experience with NextDns. I like the features and tracking blocklists. The TLD blocking is nice, just add a bad TLD and you're done. The only problem is on mobile for e-commerce sites in that it can block access to the apps and stop them from working properly.
Actually ControlD has very similar features. TLD blocking also. It has its own ads and tracking filter maintained by itself which works very effectively , blocking all and whitelisting all the required ones. But falls short in terms of the heuristic engines that NextDns has.

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
have you also used NextDns? If yes, Which one do you find better? And , 'good' in terms of what?
They are different services. NextDNS free is the same of the paid version but has the query limit.
With ControlD free you cannot tinker anything but there are pre configured blocking lists and no query limits.
I have no needs of configurations so I live fine with ControlD Malware + Ads & Tracking block.

Reactions: simmerskool

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
They are different services. NextDNS free is the same of the paid version but has the query limit.
With ControlD free you cannot tinker anything but there are pre configured blocking lists and no query limits.
If their paid versions is considered, which one would you prefer to pay for?

Reactions: Dave Russo

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I prefer NextDNS mostly for security and some privacy at the moment, but ControlD is progressing rapidly, unlike Adguard, so I might give it another try/test a few months later.
NextDNS free is the same of the paid version but has the query limit.
That limit is very lenient, you can use one email per device, but I use it for 2 PCs and 2 phones and hardly reach 200k.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I prefer NextDNS mostly for security and some privacy at the moment, but ControlD is progressing rapidly, unlike Adguard, so I might give it another try/test a few months later.

That limit is very lenient, you can use one email per device, but I use it for 2 PCs and 2 phones and hardly reach 200k.
I also felt that. Controld is progressing rapidly. So do you think it would be better than Nextdns soon? Especially after it releases its own AI in this month?

Reactions: Idanox

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I noticed it was the same, but NextDNS offers more choices in configuration.
I even made a system with No-IP + NextDNS at my work and it works very well (because the IP address is dynamic there)

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
Out of them two options I prefer Nextdns nicer UI and more setting to play with, at the moment am using AdGuardHome running in the cloud so works at home and outside on mobile data.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Both NextDNS and ControlD DNS offer strong protection for their users, including blocking malicious domains and protecting against various types of cyber attacks. Ultimately, the effectiveness of each service depends on individual needs and preferences. It may be best to test out both services and decide which one works better for you.
Is NextDNS better than ControlD DNS at blocking malicious domains?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Is NextDNS better than ControlD DNS at blocking malicious domains?
Both NextDNS and ControlD DNS are known for their ability to block malicious domains effectively. However, the specific effectiveness of each service may vary depending on the type and frequency of malicious domains that are being blocked. It may be best to test out both services and determine which one works better for you in terms of blocking malicious domains.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Ohk....but could you elaborate on why exactly?
dns0 blocks

- Newly registered domains
- New active domains
- Domain generation algothrithms
- IDN homographs
- phishing sites
- DNS rebinding
- Dynamic DNSES
- Cryptojacking
- Parked domains
- High risk top level domains

so does NextDNS aswell

ControlD blocks
- new domains
- phishing
- malware

DNS wide, dns0 & NextDNS blocks much more categories than ControlD does. Also nextdns has more companies as friend and thats why nextdns & dns0 gets ai & better malware filtering

1679163725612.png

1679163739021.png

I still recommend you to trial both DNS resolvers and find the one that fits for you best

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
dns0 blocks

- Newly registered domains
- New active domains
- Domain generation algothrithms
- IDN homographs
- phishing sites
- DNS rebinding
- Dynamic DNSES
- Cryptojacking
- Parked domains
- High risk top level domains

so does NextDNS aswell

ControlD blocks
- new domains
- phishing
- malware

DNS wide, dns0 & NextDNS blocks much more categories than ControlD does. Also nextdns has more companies as friend and thats why nextdns & dns0 gets ai & better malware filtering

View attachment 273711

View attachment 273712

I still recommend you to trial both DNS resolvers and find the one that fits for you best
That's the thing here , those partners provide threat intel for dns0 but do they do so for Nextdns? Because in the above list Nextdns is mentioned as a partner uniquely of dns0.

Also, if read the blog of ControlD vs Nextdns as told by ControlD, there its mentioned that most of those types of malicious domains are blocked by their malware filter only.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
That's the thing here , those partners provide threat intel for dns0 but do they do so for Nextdns? Because in the above list Nextdns is mentioned as a partner uniquely of dns0.

Also, if read the blog of ControlD vs Nextdns as told by ControlD, there its mentioned that most of those types of malicious domains are blocked by their malware filter only.
Thats a good blog post.

I have tested dns0 with zero and Controld free with phishing + malware filter enabled against phishtank & urlhaus and dns0 zero blocks more than ControlD does.

Its my personal opinion but i think NextDNS needs to be tweaked to '' maximium' to meet same level of protection than dns0 zero does
And my personal opinion is that NextDNS is better than ControlD

Do you use antivirus?

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Thats a good blog post.

I have tested dns0 with zero and Controld free with phishing + malware filter enabled against phishtank & urlhaus and dns0 zero blocks more than ControlD does.

Its my personal opinion but i think NextDNS needs to be tweaked to '' maximium' to meet same level of protection than dns0 zero does
And my personal opinion is that NextDNS is better than ControlD

Do you use antivirus?
Yes I use AV. Why?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.