nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012
MAIN AV: ESET 5.2.9.1 with advanced configurations
MAIN FW: OAP
COMPANION AV: EAM 8.0
USB AV: USB Guardian
Backup: Crashplan + & LiveDrive (both online backup solution)
syncro: sugarsync (between 3 workstations)
keylog protection: KeyScramble
Virtual environment: VMWare Workstation 9
Virtualization: BufferZone
Software hardening: EMET 3.0
DNS: Comodo Secure DNS
secured folder: TrueCrypt
Firewall Hardware: Firewall server with ASTARO UTM 9. with double AV Scanner, webfiltering (with deny of downloading exe, cmd, bat,.... unless I approve manually), email filtering, network security, VPN Server

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Nick76's Config

Looks like a very solid. Can't think of anything you should add.
Keep up the good work. ;)

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

Do you think it's useful to add a Bitdefender engine (Auslogics, or Advanced System Care w AV) to my configuration?

Z

ZeroDay

I would think that your setup is tight enough without adding Bitdefenders engine. Nice setup.

D

Deleted member 178

lol, my CIS + EAM combo is finally not so alone in thre world ^^

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011

I have a laptop running CIS + EAM, and between your setup guide and Chiron's it runs pretty much bulletproof.

umbrapolaris said:
lol, my CIS + EAM combo is finally not so alone in thre world ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

No problems as CIS and EAM were been proved and tested for being safe combination and its compatibility with configuration tweaked.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011

nick76, do you still get updates on 8? I was under the impression you would need to upgrade to sophos 9?

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

for the time being Astaro is 8.203 fully update. By Sophos news, the upgrade to UTM 9 will be after the 15th of July...

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

there's a way to set into dragon browser an extension to block every site except the one I use for ebanking?

D

Deleted member 178

If you really worry about safebanking maybe you should try Online Armor Premium (Emsisoft), its banking mode is quite efficient. you can allow/protect the bank websites; it does exactly what you looking for (cut all connections of your browser to sites not whitelisted by you)

http://www.online-armor.com/products-online-armor-premium.php

it is what im using now.

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

that's right, but between OA and Comodo firewall, I prefer the second one because of better firewall and HIPS software... I could install OA Premium and disable the firewall but I think I will have some stability problems.

D

Deleted member 178

OAP has an HIPS too that is as effcient as Comodo's one. they score both 340/340 at comodo leak test

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

I used OA free for a year and then I read some reviews (matousec, this forum and others) that suggest comodo firewall instead of OA.

D

Deleted member 178

hahaha, dont believe matousec !

Matousec has an issue with the former owner of OA/OAP (Tall Emu) because they sold OA to emsisoft, then matousec ask to Emsi to pay for the past tests of OA owned at that time by Tall Emu...so they stopped testing OA and says CIS is better... :D

before that issue OA & CIS were equal in the tests (100%)

OAP is better than OA free, don't mix the two.

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

OK, thank you for your tips. Another question. Due to the fact that my Comodo already has included Firewall, do you think, disabling it will however interfere with OA premium?

D

Deleted member 178

yes ! a firewall needs to install drivers,and those with HIPS at the kernel so i strongly suggest you to choose wich one you will keep, OAP or CIS, since i do banking as you, i opted for OAP (the banking mode is effective, it has web filter and anti-keylogger) and its firewall is strong enough for my usage.

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

Added:
Software hardening: EMET
DNS: OpenDNS
Rollback: Shadow Defender

nick76

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 2, 2012

I'm studying the possibility to move
  • MAIN AV: GData
  • MAIN FW: OAP
  • COMPANION AV: EAM

ON a VM with win 7 x64 I've tried the configuration and seems as good as CIS + EAM (even better, at least as detection ratio).

Nick

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.