Macrium Reflect 7

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Nano defender has already nano defender integration, so the nano defender extension isnt needed. Same with the ublock, you can just setup it to use nano defender integration without needing to install the extension.

Ublock origin just has faster update cycle

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Nano defender has already nano defender integration, so the nano defender extension isnt needed. Same with the ublock, you can just setup it to use nano defender integration without needing to install the extension.

Ublock origin just has faster update cycle

You are wrong there, with Nano Adblocker you don't need to enable some filter lists or change some things like you need with ublock origin, but you still need to install the stand-alone Nano Defender to filter some elements.

Nano Adblocker has a faster stable release cycle too ...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You are wrong there, with Nano Adblocker you don't need to enable some filter lists or change some things like you need with ublock origin, but you still need to install the stand-alone Nano Defender to filter some elements.

Basically you only need easyprivacy + easy list in medium mode, i just meant that your adblock wont be detected without defender

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Sorry, i want to correct but..without defender some of the videos will not be playing, even browserleak is saying the adblocker isnt detected...but i installed the defender and now the video will play, without having to need disable adblocker on that site.

So defender isnt useless, it seems to be effective
I was just wrong about it, i was relying on browserleak too much

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

I found this to be true and it makes using Edge nice and simple (though without the Defender add-on). Gosh, am I turning into a MS shill?

Reactions: Nightwalker

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
This looks very solid. And pretty efficient too.

Now I'll have to look these three things up to determine if I 'need' them too...
Decentraleyes
Stylus
Enhancer for Youtube

I can see why you didn't pick the MBAM Browser Extension Beta... as you have that covered.

But as good as that extension is 'right out of the box' -- it got my attention.

Good set-up.

Your Buddy,

-Big Burrito

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This looks very solid. And pretty efficient too.

Now I'll have to look these three things up to determine if I 'need' them too...
Decentraleyes
Stylus
Enhancer for Youtube

I can see why you didn't pick the MBAM Browser Extension Beta... as you have that covered.

But as good as that extension is 'right out of the box' -- it got my attention.

Good set-up.

Your Buddy,

-Big Burrito

Thanks my friend, your insight is always very much appreciated.

I think you dont "need" any of those extensions, but Stylus and Enhancer for Youtube really add some quality of life while using the Web.

About Decentraleyes:
Decentraleyes looks into the returned HTML data. It replaces external requests to CDNs if it discovers a known JavaScript library. This way the CDN never receives the request. It actually may increase the speed of some websites, yet the main benefit is increased privacy.

It isnt vital, especially if there is a good adblocker installed, but it has its uses for sure.

MBAM web protection (extension or paid software) is a keeper; I am fascinated by its protection, it makes the web browsing much more confortable and safer.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Update 2018-08-29

Removed: Real-time Web & Malware Protection - Windows Defender, NoVirus Thanks OSArmor.
Extensions: - Netcraft, Decentraleyes.

Added:
VirusTotal Windows Uploader (alternative to Windows Defender legacy malware protection)

Its was time to trim the bloat in my new setup, while there was no perceptible system performance hit or conflicts I saw no reason to have some overlapping protections (the law of diminishing returns).

Novirus Thanks OSArmor is great, but considering how deep I went with Sysharderner and considering Malwarebytes Anti Exploit protection, I simple dont see the reason to keep it running.

I removed Windows Defender to reduce system impact, considering my habits I dont consider it a loss in protection.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
MBAM web protection (extension or paid software) is a keeper; I am fascinated by its protection, it makes the web browsing much more comfortable and safer.

Nightwalker -- I'm sure you know about what I'm going to paste below --- as you have a broad awareness of the security software landscape. It's pretty evident that you spend time looking around and assessing different capabilities.

For others though, there are apparently a few different and/or additional things that the 'MBAM Browser Extension Beta' may protect against in addition to the capabilities of MBAM Pro. They recommend that we run both.

From mod exile360 at the MBAM Forums:

The browser extension has several behavior-based blocking components and additional heuristics which are not built into the Malwarebytes 3 Web Protection component (they can't be because they must be able to access the pages/content from "inside" the browser to see it/detect it and the Web Protection component operates from the network stack at the same level as the Windows Firewall) so there will definitely be cases where sites are blocked by the browser extension that are not currently in the Malwarebytes 3 Web Protection database(s).

So if you identify a site being blocked by the browser extension(s) that is not blocked by Web Protection alone (and of course assuming it is not a false positive) then yes, you may report it to the Research team so that they may look into adding it to the MB3 Web Protection block list/black list.

This is one of the big advantages of this new technology. It provides additional blocking capabilities and works hand in hand with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3, enhancing what it can do (though it's not required to have both, though more malicious content is blocked if you do have both obviously).
...the extensions rely more on signature-less behavior-based detection, so they are able to block new/unknown malicious sites that Web Protection won't until the Research team becomes aware of them. It also blocks certain categories, such as some ads and tracking servers that aren't targeted by the Web Protection component in MB3. The extensions are designed to work in tandem with the Web Protection in MB3, however, they can also function separately without it. When used with it, they can speed up browsing when web blocks from MB3 occur because they act sort of like a local server, speeding up the lookup (you'll often notice a delay in your browser when a site is blocked by MB3; this delay practically vanishes when using the browser plugins if the block was triggered by your browser and the block page tends to load much more quickly). So the browser extensions are standalone tools that serve a somewhat similar purpose but accomplish it in a very different way which makes them more proactive, at least against specific types of sites such as tech support scam sites, clickbait sites and certain other categories of threats, plus their targeting of additional items not normally blocked by M, malicious C&C servers or just sites that are hosting malware binaries or exploits but are structurally/behaviorally no different from any normal/safe site). B3. At the same time, other malicious sites that can't really be blocked behaviorally because they're not obviously different in any meaningful way (other than hosting malware, obviously) from normal websites need to be included in a database/block list like the tech in MB3's Web Protection component (for example, malicious C&C servers or just sites that are hosting malware binaries or exploits but are structurally/behaviorally no different from any normal/safe site).

And.... Thanks for the explanations of the other apps.

I've never taken the time to look at Stylus and Enhancer... but with a little more reading, I'm going to try one or both.

-Humongo Burrito

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Update 2018-10-27

Realtime Protection:
ESET Internet Security 12 + NoVirusThanks OSArmor + NovirusThanks SysHardener

Browser + Extensions:
Firefox Quantum + uBlock Origin (Medium Mode) + Malwarebytes Browser Extension

So far so good ...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Seems overkill :unsure:

SysHarderner doesnt have any system impact, it even doesnt run at real time and OSArmor is very light and doesnt have any conflict with ESET, but yeah, seems to be a little overkill, a suite like ESET is enough.

I may remove OSArmor to keep things simple and less conflict prone ...

Reasoning to use OSArmor and Sysharderner together:

SysHardener: Harden Windows Settings

Ps: IMO every home user should run SysHarderner or @Andy Ful 's Hard_Configurator because Windows by default has so many useless and potential dangerous features.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You are right. For the average user (no help from advanced one) the Eset alone is OK (recommended).
System hardening (even with SysHardener) is for the users who understand what are the potential consequences and know how to apply Windows default settings. Many MT members probably do not know how to apply Windows Default settings when using SysHardener.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Update 2018-10-28
Realtime Protection:
ESET Internet Security 12 + NovirusThanks SysHardener
Removed - NoVirusThanks OSArmor
Added- Special ESET's rules for better protection against ransomware (Configure HIPS rules for ESET business products to protect against ransomware)

Browser + Extensions:
Firefox Quantum + uBlock Origin (Medium Mode)
Removed - Malwarebytes Browser Extension

I thought better of it and decided to remove some redundancy/complexity of the setup; OSArmor and MBAM browser extension are superb tools, but they arent needed in my setup, so to keep things simple and lean they have to go.

I think I will roll with this setup for sometime, I am done with testing.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
System hardening (even with SysHardener) is for the users who understand what are the potential consequences and know how to apply Windows default settings. Many MT members probably do not know how to apply Windows Default settings when using SysHardener.

I'm always interested in trying out SysHardener.... but I'm not an expert. And warnings like this always make me change my mind about trying it.

As far as I know, I do know how to apply Windows default settings.

Or... maybe it's more complicated than I realize.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I'm always interested in trying out SysHardener.... but I'm not an expert. And warnings like this always make me change my mind about trying it.

As far as I know, I do know how to apply Windows default settings.

Or... maybe it's more complicated than I realize.

SysHarderner default tweak settings are pretty safe for most users, but anything beyond default can have negative impact on user experience, so the rule is to change only things that you are confortable with.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.