Nikos' Config

P

Plexx

Nikos said:
Just tell me how to remove this, iam not in mood for googling that. it captures 400 MBs of mh hdd.

As you wish. Disclaimer: none of us nor MalwareTips will be liable for any damage caused. You fully accept the responsibility for your actions.

Take Ownership

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Thanks i found it here before you posted:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-take-ownership-of-a-folderfile-in-windows-7/

It have deleted lot of files and subfolder except too sub-folders. i cant understand why thos etwo remained intact.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Nikos said:
Just tell me how to remove this, iam not in mood for googling that.

Then... Here's the link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ download the .reg file, and activate it (admin privileges required), take ownership of the files inside the folder, then delete them.

Disclaimer:
I nor anyone on the MalwareTips forums will be held liable for your actions. Damages that occur to your personal property are solely the actions of the user.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Comodo and Microsoft folders could not be deleted. I closed CIS and then was able to remove the comodo folder, i opened it again and i saw comodo was writing files there.

But that is a backup folder comodos installation its not there but in 'Program Files" directory.

What the heck?

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Dont tell me that that was a part of Windows System!! OMG it was!

I though only Program Files was a part of Window System.

Iam a PC-Tech btw and amateur Perl/Python Programmer.

I just didnt happen to know this. So ProgramData folder was something like %appdata% and i have almost deleteed it?

No wonder why almost all startmenu shortcuts are gone....Oh my!

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
I better download and install this tool:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

I beleive you will agree.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Nikos said:

I just didnt happen to know this. So ProgramData folder was something like %appdata% and i have almost deleteed it?

Yes I told you you weren't suppose to delete program data. And why Biozfear asked what your computer knowledge is. And why biozfear told you to backup your data. And why we both gave you a disclaimer.

Try this it may help get you back SOME data and files http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Or try system restore in safe mode but not sure if it will work.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Tip:
Always image or completely backup your system before playing with malware and associated tools.

P

Plexx

Nikos said:

Now you understand why I warned you.

There is a lot of basics that you will need to learn. Not saying you shouldn't try but at least attempt to do such changes in a virtual machine. Grab VirtualBox for it. There is more than that you don't know according to your posts. Nevertheless, you will learn but never try it on your host...

My suggestion: backup all your programs and reinstall windows 7 clean. That is the safest option... By now your system is already damaged whether you like it or not, I am afraid...

NSG001 said:
Tip:
Always image or completely backup your system before playing with malware and associated tools.

That is what I told him a few pages ago or on another thread.

Could be worse.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Nikos only thing i would recommend at the moment is to save all your personal stuff and repair or reinstall windows before it crashes or starts giving you BSOD since you have made your windows unstable
Thanks

P

Plexx

loveboy_lion said:
Nikos only thing i would recommend at the moment is to save all your personal stuff and repair or reinstall windows before it crashes or starts giving you BSOD since you have made your windows unstable
Thanks

Suggested that already but perhaps he would listen to you.

Even if he can repaid the folder, damage is done.

Let's not forget the possible infection he had previously when he tested on his host...

Starting from fresh sometimes is a better idea...

Let's see.

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:

That doesn't mean anything...programming is another field than doing maintenance/repairing computer. i remembered fixing the infected computer of an computer engineer...

i agree with Biozfear said, you are good to go for a reformating/reinstallation of Windows

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I personally think that he should reinstall his windows since even if he tries to repair his current windows it will never be the same again since he may have deleted lot of stuffs related to windows and softwares that he is using or had installed whatever and they may cause BSOD in the future
Anyways lets wait and see what Nikos think of actually doing at this moment hope he is not getting BSOD already
Thanks

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Apart of missing shortcuts and missing settings of some applications which i reconfigured i run Repair Windows ALL in one just in case and all seems to work as expected for the time being.

P

Plexx

Nikos said:
Apart of missing shortcuts and missing settings of some applications which i reconfigured i run Repair Windows ALL in one just in case and all seems to work as expected for the time being.

That is only a temporary fix Nikos. It is strongly advised at this point to create a backup of your programs (installers that is), pictures, documents, bookmarks and other personal stuff into an external hard disk or dvd's and then re-install windows 7 from scratch.

Once that is done, update Windows 7 and the drivers. Then create a backup.

Next step would be starting to install the applications, restart and then backup once again.

At this stage you have two backups, one fully updated with Windows 7 Clean, the other one with the same but with your applications installed.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Why you mention 2 backups and not only on with Windows 7 and the drivers but also with the applications as well?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I ran on a broken Windows 7 OS for ~6 months. Soon the missing features started to bother me so I installed Windows 8 RP, which got corrupted some how..
So last month I reverted to Windows 7, and now I have a clean system image for backup. :biggrin:

P

Plexx

Nikos said:
Why you mention 2 backups and not only on with Windows 7 and the drivers but also with the applications as well?

Reason behind is simple.

1st backup is a clean updated backup.

2nd backup is an updated backup with tools already installed but if you ever need to remove half of it or whatever, simply restore the clean backup. Restore 2nd backup if you feel necessary.

Keep rest of personal docs etc backed up on another source, saving you the hassle of copy pasting, as well as increasing the size of your backup.

Can't be more simpler than this.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If I had learn the situation right Nikos had infected his pc few days back while testing malware on host and he have Comodoon his system which unable to block the threat?
Am I right or not?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.