Battle NIS 2011 vs KIS 2012 vs G-Data IS 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Hi between the 3 which do you all like the most.

Kaspersky and Norton both now have cloud scanning where G Data does not. However it has the benefits of avast 5 and bitdefender engines as well as a screen saver that scans. G data and Norton are both very fast in virus scanning. Norton would use the least amount of ram followed by Gdata. Kasperskys web page anti banner is very nice and saves alot of popups. Me personally I cannot decide between the 3

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
It seems that everyone hates G-Data, why not replace it with Avira Premium Security Suite, to make the "fight" more interesting !

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
GabiCRX said:
It seems that everyone hates G-Data, why not replace it with Avira Premium Security Suite, to make the "fight" more interesting !

I wouldn't say it's hate, G-DATA is a great example of how to utilize the power of a licensed AV engine [BitDefender] better than its developer. But their business model is fairly low key - they rarely rely on promotions and giveaways to generate/increase market awareness and in my opinion mostly expect the outstanding results in various AV tests to speak loud enough for people to look at their product.

G-DATA puts a good fight with the other competitors in this comparison, which the poll results don't necessarily reflect - it's got excellent protection, the usability isn't too bad either, performance may be something they still need to look at [but using 2 engines it will always be hard].

As much as I've relied on Avira in the past, it will be soundly beaten in this company, I'm afraid.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Avira has its own behaviour blocker and very high signatures to boot. Saw a behaviour blocker from Kaspersky this morning, very nice. Might change my main setup to Kaspersky from Norton

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion, probably long time they tried their own engine and its was difficult to catch up for the latest threats, then they decided to borrow two engines since they found out that it was an award winning engines.

But who knows?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
yes. i hope, their uses own engine and own database. for getting more gdata users.
i thought ,use 2 engines same with lot usage of ram.
such as; coranti using 4 engines (BitDefender, F-Prot, Norman and Lavasoft). it's huge ram usage and slow down system.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
win7holic said:
Gdata not make slow system at all. but, i don't like their uses 2 engines. why their not use own database and own engine?

Its not easy not develop a good antivirus engine ...and then their's the fact that you need to maintain and update him all the time. And lets not forget that a lot of people know Avast and Bitdefender and think that two antivirus engine put together are better than one. :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Simply if Gdata found out that the performance is still good and detection rates are very high they will stick the engines. I remember before older Gdata uses Kasperksy and Avast.

I

illumination

darkelixa said:
Really a hard choice between Norton and Kaspersky. Its a shame that Safe run does not work fully on x64 bit

I have recently place KIS 2012 on my 64bit system, the desk top safe run will not work, but you can still run your default browser in safe run. It is a small problem i can deal with.. The over all protection of Kaspersky is great even without safe run.

I

illumination

darkelixa said:
Safe run does not work on 64 bit due to windows kernal i beleive

it's because of various limitations imposed by microsoft's patchguard.. The safe run for websites still works on 64 bit..

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
IMO, both are excellent packages... My friend recently purchased NIS 2011 and offered me an opportunity as a "User"... If he had purchased KIS 2012 I would have gladly accepted...

Free is Good... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.