Battle NIS 2011 vs KIS 2012 vs G-Data IS 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Hi between the 3 which do you all like the most.

Kaspersky and Norton both now have cloud scanning where G Data does not. However it has the benefits of avast 5 and bitdefender engines as well as a screen saver that scans. G data and Norton are both very fast in virus scanning. Norton would use the least amount of ram followed by Gdata. Kasperskys web page anti banner is very nice and saves alot of popups. Me personally I cannot decide between the 3

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Web browsers have pop-up blockers and add-ons/extensions are available for you to block Ads and Flash Ads.
Personally, I don't want my security software to block ads. Haha.

IMO, screen-saver scanning would be same as scanning on Idle. Why waste resources when you can put your PC into power-saving mode (ie. Sleep/Hibernation) instead? :)

I voted Norton, simply because it's a no-brainer from what I've seen. You can up the heuristics to aggressive (fp may occur), even though you said prefer default settings.

GabiCRX

Level 8
Verified
Jun 24, 2011
Now i'm using NIS 2011 and I can say that it is very light, and and offers very good protection.
As for Kaspersky and G Data, they eat a lot of resources, but they offer very good protection.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i vote Norton IS.
low on system resources and high detection rate, easy to use for all users.
i really likes Norton feature; SONAR and file insight :)

Lindows

Aug 19, 2011
i have voted for KIS.... Because I like it from the beginning. And maybe be now they are out of form a bit but soon I think they will pick up!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
Web browsers have pop-up blockers and add-ons/extensions are available for you to block Ads and Flash Ads.
Personally, I don't want my security software to block ads. Haha.

Agreed. I've always felt this was the realm of the browser, not my security software.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Surprisingly, Symantec included adblocking in NIS up until version 2007.

My breakdown on the matter:

Protection: KIS > NIS > G-data
System performance: NIS > G-data > KIS
Usabilty: NIS > G-data > KIS

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
It would have to be NIS 2011 for me, although I have only had limited experience with Kaspersky [and recently Kaspersky CBE] and none with G-DATA.

NIS 2011 is extremely light, offers great protection in sleek and accomplished package. I really respect the painstaking effort spent on making the product so coherent and so intrinsically streamlined, the usability is great, there are heaps of settings you can tweak, but they are easily accessible and you never feel like you're lost.

A great combination of protection features that work so seamlessly and quietly together, sometimes you wonder whether NIS is running at all. And isn't that what we all want from our security solution - strong and confident, but unobtrusive, silent and respectful protection?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
All 3 are great suites which deserve their money :

G-data 2012 - great detection rate
KIS 2012 - great prevention and with a ton of features
NIS - great on detection and prevention

KIS 2012 ... my personal favorite due to its features .... One of the best (and badly used) HIPS (Application Control) ..... Sandbox , firewall , behavior blocker, anti-banner , anti-spam and a ton of other features which aren't enabled by default but in the hands of a good user will increase dramatically the security level of a system.
The main complaint from its users .... the resource usage..While on my system seems to be working fine...I've read some reports from users complaining about its resource usage.

G-DATA IS 2012- 2 top-notch antivirus engines (Avast + Bitdefender) , great webguard and a good behavior blocker ..... with the 2012 built Gdata also managed to make this suite light which made this suite a very serious candidate in this race.

NIS 2011 is most likely the winner .... the lightest suite of the three , with a very good antivirus engine & behavior blocker and with the Insight technology which is really amazing

Voted for KIS 2012 but the winner in my opinion is NIS 2011.

Videos :

All videos were uploaded by MrXidus

GDATA Internet Security 2012

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

Norton Internet Security 2011

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Agree, the only will differ is how performance does. Like in RAM usage, affects with other application in boot time and more.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
Been using Kaspersky for a day and cannot seem to feel a slow down, ram usuage is only really high when you run a full scan, but if you tweak the setting to scan only new files the scan is over in a few minutes. Like the sand box in Kaspersky :) I vote for Kaspersky

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.