'No one wants to use your website' read ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
No one wants to use your website : on p27.us project 27 : http://p27.us/2014/03/no-one-wants-to-use-your-website/
There are a ton of exceptions, of course. But if you’re selling a product or a service, there’s a good chance your user has no desire to be there.
They aren’t excited to use your website, so stop trying to make them. They’re using your service because it reduces some headache and makes their life easier. The majority of your users are not power users. They don’t care about small tweaks and under-the-hood features and having tons of options and managing their accounts and all that. They just want to load up your site, do the thing your site helps them do, and then get on with their lives.
No one wants to register for an account.
The only reason they do is because you make them do it in order to continue using the site. Sometimes it’s necessary to have an account, but when it is, the process should be as simple as possible. Even things like email confirmations and typing passwords twice can often be eliminated—all they do is serve to raise the cost of entry into your site, and it’s another chance for your possible conversion to get annoyed or frustrated and turn away. You’re not a bank. You’re not the government. The user’s account really isn’t a big deal. You want their data; they want to continue using the service. Don’t make it any more complicated than that.
People hate forms.
Yes, they’re necessary, but not a single one of your users is going to be excited to sit down in front of your site and fill out a form. So place as much emphasis as you can on making it as painless as possible. Break it up into multiple sections to make it more digestible, eliminate as many fields as you can afford to, and give fields clear and accurate names (and, if the field needs it, a brief description). Validate inline wherever you can, autocomplete wherever you can (do you really need to know my timezone? Date().getTimezoneOffset(); is one line of javascript), and make sure required fields are clearly marked. Make it so your user can get through the form as quickly and effortlessly as they possibly can, because they don’t want to waste their time filling out your form. Your goal is to make them work as little as possible in order to continue using your product.
Perhaps most importantly, people hate thinking.
Yes, you want to cater to your power-users. Yes, you want to let people be as specific as they can. But the majority of users don’t care. And they don’t want to be forced into having to care. I signed up for a website the other day that asked me how I would prefer dates and times be formatted (dd-mm-yyyy, mm-dd-yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy &c.) and on the two page registration form I spent more time thinking about that one question than on any other part of the form. It’s nice to give your users options, but only when they ask for them. Default to what’s going to be best for the majority, and let the others change it later. Don’t force your users to make decisions that they don’t care about.
I’ve recently been doing UX revisions for University Niche with two non-technical co-founders. None of us have formal backgrounds in UI/UX, but we’ve made it our philosophy when working on the site to imagine our “ideal user” as someone who doesn’t care about the site and has no desire to be there. The only reason they’re using it because they have to use it; because it’s the best service out there to solve their specific problem (in this case, finding housing as a student or marketing properties to student renters). They’re not using it because they love looking for houses or because they love filling out details about the properties they have for rent. And designing with that in mind has really been an eye-opener for us.
So stop trying to force users to get excited about your site. They don’t want to be there, so make it as easy as possible for them to use it and then get on with their lives.

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
New and existing members can easily Log In to malwaretips.com with one-click using Facebook, Twitter or Google. ( http://malwaretips.com/login )

upload_2014-3-31_17-47-40.png

Easily manage your associated accounts. ( http://malwaretips.com/account/external-accounts )

upload_2014-3-31_17-50-14.png

Manage your Apps & Permissions from Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications ). Other services may differ. Access is limited to the basics.

upload_2014-3-31_17-55-48.png

upload_2014-3-31_17-51-49.png

I

illumination

I simply disagree with the OP post.. No one forces users to go to sites and use them. They do so because of need or necessity. In which case many will create an account to do so, and if not, they do not feel obligated by force to do so. This site for example, i have seen many people's introductions state they have lurking around for periods of long times and decided to join "mainly for benefits" such as giveaways ect, or they just plain like the site enough to finally join.

Anyone with half a load of sense will realize just browsing the site as opposed to entering it and socializing, will gain more knowledge and benefits with the latter.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There are a ton of exceptions
This is about the only statement I really agree with
The only reason they do is because you make them do it in order to continue using the site.
Well yeah?? Especially if it is a forum community
things like email confirmations and typing passwords twice can often be eliminated....You’re not a bank. You’re not the government. The user’s account really isn’t a big deal.
It's not a big deal to the author apparently but I am sure it is a big deal to the website owner making sure it is a real person.
do you really need to know my timezone?
I can't remember the last time I registered on a forum and toiled over this perplexing 2 second click.I want my own time zone since many members are from all over the world I really prefer not having to convert the time.
Perhaps most importantly, people hate thinking....... you want to cater to your power-users.But the majority of users don’t care
Glad the author can speak on behalf of all of us non power users ( did I just get refereed to as stupid?)
I signed up for a website the other day that asked me how I would prefer dates and times be formatted (dd-mm-yyyy, mm-dd-yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy &c.) and on the two page registration form I spent more time thinking about that one question than on any other part of the form.
All I can say on this one is,that if on page 2 of the registration form you were still thinking about the date format,welcome to the non power users group.
I’ve recently been doing UX revisions for University Niche with two non-technical co-founders. None of us have formal backgrounds in UI/UX, but we’ve made it our philosophy when working on the site to imagine our “ideal user” as someone who doesn’t care about the site and has no desire to be there.
:confused::eek::rolleyes::confused: I hope this isn't there college thesis

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, Huracan has made good point to emphasize this new possibilities on the forum here ..
- As an example of non indispensable 'facilities', I think ..
When I saw these buttons the first time I was horrified!
Then I calmed down, and after drinking a coffee, I meditated on the things in life that are totally superficial, not essential, that separate us from the important things .. in this case, surely it was not the intention of harming, this new invention, I realized .. Surely, but for me - this is totally missed.
Would it be really wise to getting rid of superficial things, and focus in essential, ex. listen to users sometimes ..
- Mmm, the lack of 'Edit' button is very annoying for me .. to correct my English .. remove or add things that I consider useful ..
- I can dream?

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
As for me, it's depends and yes there is always an exception, but if we are talking about forums, as for example this site, I don't mind being a registered member, and I didn't feel forced to do so,to be honest though I found this site about a 2 months ago, then I deciding to join simply because I think I could gain more benefit with that, I can socialize, asking questions, answering, sharing knowledge etc. When the first time I got warm welcome by fellow members here, just about a few days past I "Like" the page even both google and facebook. And no, I didn't do that for "Giveaway", I did it simply because I want to share it to my friends about this site, and I didn't feel forced at all. So my conclusion is..yes there is always an exception like OP said, and yes that's true especially if we are talking about forum community like Mr Exterminator said ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.