• NOD32 + Comodo

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • NOD32 + Tinywall

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other + Comodo

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other + Tinywall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internet security suite instead? (e.g., SS, KIS, et cetera)

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koxxi

Thread author
Aug 21, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking to "microsoft-proof" my windows installation, for the most part. Right now I'm just using defender + windows firewall + peerblock. I've been without an actual antivirus for a long time now, so I'm a bit out of the loop, so I guess I'm curious if NOD32 as a super-light base with either Tinywall or Comodo firewall on top (I plan to block everything then whitelist as needed) is still considered a good combination? Back when I was still very active with security software NOD32 + Comodo firewall was considered the holy grail of all combinations. I was also looking in to KAV/KIS 2016 but from what I've read, they're having trouble with getting everything working properly in Windows 10.

I'll make a poll at the top for people who don't have time / initiative to leave a response but still have an opinion.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If you are already going for NOD32 why not go for their smart security option where they include a firewall together with their antivirus which will make it smoother rather than trying to combine 2 different products and trying to make them work together :p

If you really want to use another firewall I would think that comodo has a more comprehensive protection than tinywall since it has a significantly larger consumption in memory and such. Also Comodo has a few features that you might find helpful such as sandboxing and such that tinywall lacks.

However if you want to make your setup as light as possible tinywall is obviously the way to go since it barely has a GUI and it has no other bulkware, it's just a straight up firewall program, a decent one!

S

SkyJP

Windows Firewall is enough IMO, there's no need to go for full firewall software if Windows already has one built in (and has advanced options already) then you have your router firewall being the front soldier... unless you plan on using all of the features like sandboxing and behaviour blocking.

I use Kaspersky 2016 with Windows 10 and it works completely fine (surprisingly lighter, with TAM enabled) however there are certain limitations in its modules that do not stand up to Kaspersky's prior reputation. These limitations will be fixed with a patch within the first week of September.

ESET NOD32 + Windows Firewall is solid enough but Comodo Firewall is a better option if you plan on optimising its capabilities.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You may go for Avast Free which you can tweak more the settings which makes it better and not totally relying on signatures + Tinywall or Bininsoft WFC for enhancement tool to improve Windows Firewall.

Or

Go to purely protection status like Avira or Panda Cloud + Comodo Firewall on its strong tweaks. Just be aware on user interaction pop-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.