Nokia 5310 (2020) - The Dumbest Phone to Date (4 out of 10 stars)

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

Recently I posted a thread asking about which Dumb Phone or Basic Phone has certain features likes Note-Taking, Audio Recording, Converter, and Call Recording.

Cheap Chinese Basic Phones have these features, except for note-taking. Nokia and Samsung lack some of these.

I bought Nokia 5310 (2020). It has note-taking and Converter, but does not have Audio Recording and Call Recording. Little do I know that the older Nokia 3310 (2017) has Audio Recording, but no Call Recording.

After two days of usage, I could say that I was robbed of money, even though I was able to buy it with 25% discount. I bought an original and brand new, no doubt about it. I checked the IMEIs.

It has full of bugs -- software bugs:

1) Sometimes call do not function. You have to restart it. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.
2) Sometimes you cannot search on Contacts. Restart it. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.
3) It cannot determine that the numbers +639123456789 and 09123456789 are the same number. So you have to save them both, as two different Contacts. Because I receive a call using the +63 prefix, and SMS by 0 prefix. Cannot add both number prefixes on the same contact because the "+" sign cannot be entered, and there's no option to "add to existing contact". No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones, as they can recognize that both are the same number.
4) "Detected new time zone, update time?" prompt everytime I receive a text. So disable auto update of time. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.
5) Boxes often appear on some prompts and items, like "Unlock". GUI flaws. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.
6) Occasional restarts and crashes. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.
7) SMS - the phone hangs when you scroll on a threaded conversation, even if it is still a short conversation.
8) Contacts - Sometimes it will show only 1 contact, in infinite loop! Then the system will restart itself. No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones.

Hardware issues:

1) Poor build. Extra care is needed to make it to last for a year. Oh, the "K" silver at the back has been removed, even though I'm a careful user. "NO IA"
2) Battery life is mediocre. Could barely last up to 2 days with light usage.
3) Speaker and Loudspeaker volume too low. "Loudspeaker" Volume set to highest is still quite low during calls. (Even by having Dual Front Speakers). No such issue in cheap Chinese basic phones, as often they have loud speakers, but quality is lower.

Not bugs, but:

1) I wish we have the option to remove the Trial Games.
2) Typing experience is very, very bad. English Dictionary contains very few words to recognize. And no option to remove other languages, so scrolling for input methods is annoying.
3) Music Player is very basic. Cannot even display songs by Artist, Album, etc.

So my question is, how could those YouTubers cannot find these issues? Many of them praise this product after a week of use? REALLY? Maybe they are not using these dumb phones for texting and calling at all, which are the supposed functions of the phone.

I am highly disappointed with this product. And I could not return it or sell it, as no one will be interested. This is the worst phone I have ever used, and, it has the NOKIA branding. My old 3310 from year 2000 was much much better. It also has Tagalog predictive typing. I could text fast even if I do not look.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
My oneplus 5t broken, so im using my old nokia 6 wich is working perfectly. The clean android is so much worth it even the newest nokias are overpriced

You should check Nokia 6300 4G if its any good?

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
My oneplus 5t broken, so im using my old nokia 6 wich is working perfectly. The clean android is so much worth it even the newest nokias are overpriced

You should check Nokia 6300 4G if its any good?
Thanks for the suggestion... but I'm not after 4G, not even after VolTe calls.

I would rather choose cheap Chinese Basic Phones than Nokia basic phones. Nokia quality today is terrible.

Nov 1, 2022
I bought Nokia 5310 (2020). It has note-taking and Converter, but does not have Audio Recording and Call Recording. Little do I know that the older Nokia 3310 (2017) has Audio Recording, but no Call Recording.

After two days of usage, I could say that I was robbed of money, even though I was able to buy it with 25% discount. I bought an original and brand new, no doubt about it. I checked the IMEIs.

So my question is, how could those YouTubers cannot find these issues? Many of them praise this product after a week of use? REALLY? Maybe they are not using these dumb phones for texting and calling at all, which are the supposed functions of the phone.

I am highly disappointed with this product. And I could not return it or sell it, as no one will be interested. This is the worst phone I have ever used, and, it has the NOKIA branding. My old 3310 from year 2000 was much much better. It also has Tagalog predictive typing. I could text fast even if I do not look.
Hey, thanks for the info! I've been looking for 'dumb phones' for taking notes and recordings, since my boss tasked me to find reliable ones so she could get one for every employee (most of us are travel agents and can't always get a good reception so we end up making notes and audio files). The Nokia 5310 was one of the first items that appeared on my Google search lol, and since it's cheap (though the boss also has a discount like you that she got via a qr code), I was thinking of getting like 20 of these at once for Black Friday. Buut, since you listed issues that warrant a hard restart even when combing through your contacts (?!), then I'll have to pass :)

So, is there another model that you've tested and had a better time with (aside from the Nokia 3310)? What about the most similar ones like the Nokia 6310 or the 150 (even if it's ugly)? Tell me if I'm relying on your goodwill too much with this ;) Alas, I'd prefer to get Nokias than the cheapest Chinese ones...

Last edited:

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hey, thanks for the info! I've been looking for 'dumb phones' for taking notes and recordings, since my boss tasked me to find reliable ones so she could get one for every employee (most of us are travel agents and can't always get a good reception so we end up making notes and audio files). The Nokia 5310 was one of the first items that appeared on my Google search lol, and since it's cheap (though the boss also has a discount like you that she got via a qr code), I was thinking of getting like 20 of these at once for Black Friday. Buut, since you listed issues that warrant a hard restart even when combing through your contacts (?!), then I'll have to pass :)

So, is there another model that you've tested and had a better time with (aside from the Nokia 3310)? What about the most similar ones like the Nokia 6310 or the 150 (even if it's ugly)? Tell me if I'm relying on your goodwill too much with this ;) Alas, I'd prefer to get Nokias than the cheapest Chinese ones...
Hello,

My friend suggested that, even though my purchased Nokia 5310 (2020) is an original one, it could be defective. But for me, even if it's not defective, I will still be not fully satisfied, for I am only after basic use: texting, calling, audio recording, call recording, music player, maybe FM Radio, note-taking, calendar, calculator, converter, alarm and stopwatch. And, a long-lasting battery. 5310 does not support call recording and note-taking.

I could not post a comment for 6310 or 150, as I was disappointed with Nokia. Also, I am not after 4G capabilities, not even after VolTe calling.

What I purchased recently that satisfied me? ITEL 5260. It is a Chinese basic feature phone, with 1900mAh battery that could last me 5-7 days with moderate to heavy use. Plus, it has JAVA, so I could install apps, like Bible apps and Dictionary and Note-Taking. And the game Tetris. Call quality is good, the loudspeaker is clear (80%) and loud (100%). I am satisfied. There is call recording and audio recording, calendar, calculator, and alarm. Only the screen can be scratched easily, and has no stopwatch and converter.

Thank you!

Reactions: spiritedawaymadmax

Eyyy

Apr 4, 2023
Hello,

My friend suggested that, even though my purchased Nokia 5310 (2020) is an original one, it could be defective. But for me, even if it's not defective, I will still be not fully satisfied, for I am only after basic use: texting, calling, audio recording, call recording, music player, maybe FM Radio, note-taking, calendar, calculator, converter, alarm and stopwatch. And, a long-lasting battery. 5310 does not support call recording and note-taking.

I could not post a comment for 6310 or 150, as I was disappointed with Nokia. Also, I am not after 4G capabilities, not even after VolTe calling.

What I purchased recently that satisfied me? ITEL 5260. It is a Chinese basic feature phone, with 1900mAh battery that could last me 5-7 days with moderate to heavy use. Plus, it has JAVA, so I could install apps, like Bible apps and Dictionary and Note-Taking. And the game Tetris. Call quality is good, the loudspeaker is clear (80%) and loud (100%). I am satisfied. There is call recording and audio recording, calendar, calculator, and alarm. Only the screen can be scratched easily, and has no stopwatch and converter.

Thank you!
Thanks for this, ill probably buy the itel 5260, since im also looking for a basic phone with audio recording

Eyyy

Apr 4, 2023
Hello,

Thank you!
Thanks for this, ill probably buy the itel 5260, since im also looking for a basic phone with audio recording

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.