Norton 2021 Release Notes

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Norton Security 22.21.1.151 update is now available via LiveUpdate. As with our previous updates, this version is being released in a phased manner. This update is available in all supported languages. To download it, simply run LiveUpdate through Norton user interface.

This update is available for the following Norton products:

• New Norton 360
  • Norton Antivirus Plus
  • Norton Security
  • Norton Internet Security
  • Norton 360
  • Norton Antivirus
  • Norton Security Online
To verify you have the update for Norton Security, launch the Main User Interface, click on Help, and select About.

22.21.1.151.jpg

Below FAQs addresses some common questions:

1. What is the version number for this patch?

Norton Security 22.21.1.151

2. When will I receive the patch?

As is our standard practice, we are deploying the patch in a phased manner. We have released the patch to randomly selected customers, and will then monitor our telemetry, as well as this forum, for any problems or issues. Once we have confirmed the effectiveness of the patch, we will make it available to all customers. We will post an update on the Norton Community when we make the patch available to all customers.

3. How can I manually install these patches?

This patch is ONLY available via LiveUpdate, and is being released in a phased manner. You may need to run LiveUpdate and reboot a few times before your product is completely updated to the latest version.

4. What's new in Norton 22.21.1.151?

• Smart Scan
    Smart Scan helps user identify security, performance, and network issues, and provides solutions to keep your digital life secured. It performs a virus and malware scan on your device, network scan to detect network vulnerabilities, and advanced issues scans that detect privacy issues and performance issues of your computer. NortonLifeLock recommends that you run the Smart Scan immediately after you install Device Security.
Smart Scan runs through multiple categories and performs the following scans:

• Virus and Malware scan: Scans the areas in your computer that are most vulnerable to threats and eliminates the threats
  • Network scan:Scans for network vulnerabilities which include:
    • Weak Wi-Fi password
    • Weak Wi-Fi network encryption
    • Unprotected Wi-Fi network
    • Man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks
  • Advanced Issues scan:Scans for performance and privacy issues and notifies you with recommendations
    • Performance issues:Helps boost the performance of your computer by detecting:
      • Internet junk files
      • Windows junk files
      • Programs consuming significant CPU
      • Programs consuming significant memory
      • Startup programs
    • Privacy issues:Helps protect your online privacy issues by detecting:
      • Exposure of your geographic location
      • Exposure of your IP address when connected to a public Wi-Fi or unprotected network

• After Smart Scan completes each category of the scan, user can identify the security status based on the following:
    • A green status indicates that your device and personal information are secure.
    • An orange status indicates that there are some issues that require your attention.
    • A red status indicates that there are some urgent issues against your protection that require immediate resolution.
Note:

• Not all issues can be addressed by Smart Scan. Some of the fixes may involve getting additional entitlements that are not part of your current subscription plan.
  • The Smart Scan feature is currently available only in the U.S.
  • The release of this feature is throttled.
image003_3.png

image004_3.jpg

• Alerts:
    Norton will continuously monitor and show appropriate alert as and when detected
    • Performance Alerts:
      Notifying the customers when there is a slowdown of PC's performance and Providing Options to Fix it.
    • Network Alerts (Un-secure or Compromised Network / Location):
      Warn the customer whenever they connect to a public WIFI or Vulnerable Network and Providing options to fix it
      • Weak protocol selected when connecting to a network
      • No passwords configured
      • Weak Passwords configured
    • Banking Protection Alerts:
      This alert is displayed when there is a possible risk of personal information exposure while visiting banking websites
    • Location Alerts:
      This alert is displayed to inform customer when there is risk of geo location exposure.
    • Smart Scan Alerts:
      Highlights findings from the previous smart scan and enables customers to know more about the findings and view results of the scan.
  • Bug fixes:
    • Text overlap in Performance Alert notification - Thread
    • Unable to change blockage time for IPS - Thread
    • ‘Cannot connect to Norton Server’ error message when customer tries to sign in or activate Norton - Thread
    • Repeated SafeCam alerts each time an application starts - Thread
    • Backed up files don’t have green check marks - Thread
    • Fix for issue wherein sometimes Norton UI fails to open with/without error.
    • Other minor bug fixes
  • Performance improvements
Source: Norton Security 22.21.1.151 for Windows is now available!

F 4 E

Level 3
Verified
Jan 27, 2019
Like bjm_ I used to be a Norton user, but their marketing behaviour and constant pop ups and difficulty of getting rid of it, turned me off Norton forever.

I will never use them again. There are better and more user friendly options around.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
'As is our standard practice, we are deploying the patch in a phased manner. We have released the patch to randomly selected customers, and will then monitor our telemetry, as well as this forum, for any problems or issues' :p:p What telemetry?

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
A little disappointed. I hope to see an update which can increase the level of protection. In terms of enhancing protection, the newly introduced Smart Scan feature seems to be of little benefit.

The following are areas where Norton should improve:
  1. Improve detection ratio for script malware.
  2. Improve the overall detection ratio by combining the Avira engine with the current one. Or even replace the current engine with Avira engine, which seems to performs better and has less false positives.
  3. Improve SONAR. According to Wikipedia (Sonar - Wikipedia (Symantec)), the latest SONAR is the 4th generation, which was released in 2012 and appears to be obsolete.
  4. Reduce the amount of time it takes to process a threat.
  5. Using Avira Protection Cloud and Symantec Cloud Protection (if possible) to tackle new viruses.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
There was a small update yesterday. Nothing related to protection, but the version for gamers now has a resource optimizer for games. At least it is now somewhat different from the standard version. :)

Maybe Norton bought Bullguard for this? :) (although I still don't know if they bought it or not.)

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Harputlu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2016
There was a small update yesterday. Nothing related to protection, but the version for gamers now has a resource optimizer for games. At least it is now somewhat different from the standard version. :)

Maybe Norton bought Bullguard for this? :) (although I still don't know if they bought it or not.)
yes norton bought bullguard 2 month ago

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

Yes, another boring update for me....
Norton also bought Avira. I am waiting for Norton to use Avira's engine as it is better than Symantec's engine. :)

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.