Battle Norton 360 or Bitdefender Total Security?

Compare list
Norton 360
Bitdefender Total Security
In-depth Comparison

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Ive honestly never liked bitdefender, both for the fact that it has one of the highest resource usage and its performance impact isnt as low as it claims to have, but also for the fact it has a registry cleaner and is also buggy when it comes to detecting threats, a lot of the times it takes a while to actually detect threats, but it takes even longer to remove any,
The only good thing I ever found about them was the fact its free version had no Upgrade window/ad, but I retract that statement now when they do.
I would go with Norton anytime.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Norton is probably now my fave AV & took the place of KIS - This is a new build but over the weekend did a few tests to see which AV allowed the PC to boot the fastest & Norton was the fastest out of around 5 AV's - My issue with Bitfefender is I really dislike the GUI which is just a personal thing, I like the ease of use of Norton's firewall & how easy the whole thing is to setup - Can't remember the last time any AV blocked a virus so can't comment on that.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Norton is probably now my fave AV & took the place of KIS - This is a new build but over the weekend did a few tests to see which AV allowed the PC to boot the fastest & Norton was the fastest out of around 5 AV's - My issue with Bitfefender is I really dislike the GUI which is just a personal thing, I like the ease of use of Norton's firewall & how easy the whole thing is to setup - Can't remember the last time any AV blocked a virus so can't comment on that.
About a suite thing I think the only who can compete with Kaspersky is indeed Norton, since it has a lot of features like backup, VPN, password manager, granular settings, better firewall/network protection, etc.

Bitdefender has little settings and this annoys me.

Although, the thing that I miss on Norton is some ransomware remediation engine like Bitdefender and Kaspersky has it. Never tried Norton remediation capabilities.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have an old pc where Bitdefender is installed. It does feel slow sometimes but I never suspected Bitdefender. May be it is the reason. I will try Norton once on the same. How is the real-time protection for Norton?
Hard to say on this PC as it's a new build but on my last one Norton seemed very low on resources, but as others will say too give it a try on your system before you buy anything as each PC is almost unique with hardware/software combination - Worth it in Norton setting to set SONAR to aggressive when you are familiar with it - I have for some time with no issues...

Norton.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Half a gigabyte of ram is not light on resources.
This is not the experience for everybody. I’ve never seen it go over 300MB while scanning and averages 150MB. So it may be worth trying for someone else to see if they have your issue. Also a lot of people run 16GB systems and have plenty of ram even if that is the case for them.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
This is not the experience for everybody. I’ve never seen it go over 300MB while scanning and averages 150MB. So it may be worth trying for someone else to see if they have your issue. Also a lot of people run 16GB systems and have plenty of ram even if that is the case for them.
Try process hacker or process explorer and youll see different, more accurate, results-

Reactions: Cortex and KonradPL

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This is the typical comment I have been hearing for the past 5 centuries. Many members said that the product is light. I myself used it for months and have not experienced any performance impact whatsoever. Many member also said, and it is confirmed, that high ram usage does not mean the product is heavy.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
This is the typical comment I have been hearing for the past 5 centuries. Many members said that the product is light. I myself used it for months and have not experienced any performance impact whatsoever. Many member also said, and it is confirmed, that high ram usage does not mean the product is heavy.
Ive personally seen the heaviest products to be the most resource intensive ones, like bitdefender and malwarebytes.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Hard to say on this PC as it's a new build but on my last one Norton seemed very low on resources, but as others will say too give it a try on your system before you buy anything as each PC is almost unique with hardware/software combination - Worth it in Norton setting to set SONAR to aggressive when you are familiar with it - I have for some time with no issues...

View attachment 244995
You don't have data protector? 🤔

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I would caution on using memory usage as the only indicator of system impact. I find people put too much emphasis on memory usage and ignore everything else.

In all honesty 500mb really isn't that much for most modern computers. Most computers sold within the last few years and going forward are coming with atleast 8gb standard, with many coming with even more.

Not saying to ignore it completely, because computers with 2 to 4gb of ram, it will be more of an issue for sure. However, cpu and hard disk usage will have far bigger impacts on system performance than memory usage in most cases.

As a comparison, most modern web browsers use 1gb easy, and can use even more depending on how many tabs and extensions you are running. Yet, people look at Chrome and Edge and say they are light and fast, despite their tendency to use a lot of ram (depending on how one is browsing).;)

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
I would caution on using memory usage as the only indicator of system impact. I find people put too much emphasis on memory usage and ignore everything else.

In all honesty 500mb really isn't that much for most modern computers. Most computers sold within the last few years and going forward are coming with atleast 8gb standard, with many coming with even more.

Not saying to ignore it completely, because computers with 2 to 4gb of ram, it will be more of an issue for sure. However, cpu and hard disk usage will have far bigger impacts on system performance than memory usage in most cases.

As a comparison, most modern web browsers use 1gb easy, and can use even more depending on how many tabs and extensions you are running. Yet, people look at Chrome and Edge and say they are light and fast, despite their tendency to use a lot of ram (depending on how one is browsing).;)
I have noticed a pattern actually, take firefox, it uses a lot more memory than chrome and is slower, the same goes for malwarebytes and bitdefender, they are a lot heavier than windows defender, kaspersky, eset, etc, and they use less memory.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.