Battle Norton 360 or Bitdefender Total Security?

Compare list
Norton 360
Bitdefender Total Security
In-depth Comparison

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I have noticed a pattern actually, take firefox, it uses a lot more memory than chrome and is slower, the same goes for malwarebytes and bitdefender, they are a lot heavier than windows defender, kaspersky, eset, etc, and they use less memory.
That's totally fair!

I guess a few questions in those cases would be, does your system have less than 8gb of ram? Also has their been any changes to the amount of cpu and hard disk usage than before?

Not saying your wrong by any means, ram usage to a degree will have an impact on system performance. We just have to be mindful that there may be more factors than just memory usage.

Afaik, chrome and edge are pretty good at off loading some of their work to the GPU, where as firefox is still working on this part afaik. That too may also be a factor. ;)

My main point though, is one needs to look at the whole picture to see what's really going on. Many people just look at one metric and go thats the reason, when really there may be more than one reason.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
I prefer an antivirus that loads updates true RAM...better then using CPU that's why I prefer ESET, Kaspersky, F-Secure, Dr. Web...RAM is not an indicator of heavy software. It's all about management and for me RAM usage it's better for my battery on laptop then using CPU, I prefer 10 hours of usage then 5.(just a comparison )

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I prefer an antivirus that loads updates true RAM...better then using CPU that's why I prefer ESET, Kaspersky, F-Secure, Dr. Web...RAM is not an indicator of heavy software. It's all about management and for me RAM usage it's better for my battery on laptop then using CPU, I prefer 10 hours of usage then 5.(just a comparison )

Thats the thing, ram is there to be used and when used properly, it actually makes things perform better, as the system is able to access it faster. It reallt only becomes an issue when the amount of ram you have is esentially maxed out, if not, more than likely there should be too much of an issue.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I have noticed a pattern actually, take firefox, it uses a lot more memory than chrome and is slower, the same goes for malwarebytes and bitdefender, they are a lot heavier than windows defender, kaspersky, eset, etc, and they use less memory.
Bitdefender, at least at my PCs, uses less CPU than Kaspersky, for example.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Thats the thing, ram is there to be used and when used properly, it actually makes things perform better, as the system is able to access it faster. It reallt only becomes an issue when the amount of ram you have is esentially maxed out, if not, more than likely there should be too much of an issue.
My issue with people negatively talking about software that uses resources is that it can be misleading. With 16GB of ram I can have all the game launchers I have open and play a game and not run out of memory using Bitdefender. And it is no slower than Microsoft Defender, in fact it’s faster in some cases. It can also depend on RAM speed and CPU. Some AVs have been shown to be universally slow, others depend on the user. And that’s where I wouldn’t want to deter someone from trying something that may work for them because of a couple anecdotes.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Talking about Bitdefender, on my 5 years old not so fast laptop, after turning on the PC, Bitdefender causes extremely high 100% disk usage with 30 odd CPU for almost 5 minutes sometimes. This is when Bitdefender updates itself after startup and my system behaves slowly till the process is finished. This happens even with Bitdefender free. Any Bitdefender user check the disk & CPU usage after turning on your PC in the morning and let me know how it behaves on your PC.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Talking about Bitdefender, on my 5 years old not so fast laptop, after turning on the PC, Bitdefender causes extremely high 100% disk usage with 30 odd CPU for almost 5 minutes sometimes. This is when Bitdefender updates itself after startup and my system behaves slowly till the process is finished. This happens even with Bitdefender free. Any Bitdefender user check the disk & CPU usage after turning on your PC in the morning and let me know how it behaves on your PC.
Mine usually sleeps overnight to run backups. I’ll check next time I turn it on, but it’s not as old and has a decently fast ssd.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
There is users complaining on their forum support that update after start up is over.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Last edited:

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I would caution on using memory usage as the only indicator of system impact. I find people put too much emphasis on memory usage and ignore everything else.

In all honesty 500mb really isn't that much for most modern computers. Most computers sold within the last few years and going forward are coming with atleast 8gb standard, with many coming with even more.

Not saying to ignore it completely, because computers with 2 to 4gb of ram, it will be more of an issue for sure. However, cpu and hard disk usage will have far bigger impacts on system performance than memory usage in most cases.

As a comparison, most modern web browsers use 1gb easy, and can use even more depending on how many tabs and extensions you are running. Yet, people look at Chrome and Edge and say they are light and fast, despite their tendency to use a lot of ram (depending on how one is browsing).;)
Ain't this the truth. 500MB is nothing, especially when compared to your typical browser with several tabs open. Heck, maybe even with one or two tabs open. Most people I know run 8-16GB RAM anyway, so 500MB doesn't even register. I honestly notice no impact on my system with BTS on my 16GB machine or on my two 8GBs. Neither do I know how much RAM BTS uses or even care. I can't imagine it would remain popular if it was some sort of known system throttler. All I know is I don't even think about it most of the time. It just works. That's all I can ask of it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.