Battle Norton Deluxe vs AVG Unlimited vs Kaspersky Total Security?

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hey

I have a need to buy an IS package for the whole family for PCs with windows and androids.

I need the package to offer great protection, be lightweight, have a customizable firewall (although to a small extent).
As for the androids, I need functions such as website filtering (firefox), device location and remote reset / blocking.

At the moment I am thinking about:

Norton, Kaspersky`m, AVG

I will be grateful for your help

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
:giggle:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/mixed-threats-14-04-05-2018.82928/#post-733440 infected
https://malwaretips.com/threads/11-05-2018-16.83335/#post-735349 not clean
https://malwaretips.com/threads/7-05-2018-15.83037/#post-734150 infected
https://malwaretips.com/threads/05-01-2018-13.78719/#post-702703 infected
https://malwaretips.com/threads/super-pack-32-08-12-2017.77936/#post-695686 infected

i found these 5 links of norton in 1 year in the hub. norton was infected 4 times and had malware on the PC after the 5th test.
i did not find even 1 time in which norton was clean.
i would like to know why members think norton is good.
First 3 are Symantec Endpoint protection and not Norton. The other 2 are old tests

Reactions: stefanos

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
First 3 are Symantec Endpoint protection and not Norton. The other 2 are old tests

Yeah. What LOckJaw and others do in The Hub is really interesting. And one can draw some conclusions from it.

But... the sample sets are very small. And there are ways to conduct testing that produce more accurate results... i.e. using the AMTSO standards.

While the Hub is interesting, it's possibly better to draw serious conclusions from professional testers. I'd advise starting with MRG and SE Labs.

Reactions: L0ckJaw

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Definition of Bricking. “Bricking” essentially means a device has turned into a brick. It may be an electronic device worth hundreds of dollars, but it's now as useful as a brick (or perhaps a paperweight). A bricked device won't power on and function normally.
if you tried to power your computer on and it didn’t work properly at all, making it impossible to install an operating system, you could consider the computer bricked.
What Does “Bricking” a Device Mean?
if the average person messed up their PC, they probably could not fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burrito

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I guarantee norton is one of the worst AVs I have ever used. I have seen many users in my country heavily infected with norton and it's the only AV which made my PC infected in the past (realtime protection missed it but right-click scan detected it!!!). Norton seems to be weak against malwares in asian countries
surprisingly, I don't see people using avast and kaspersky got infected by malwares, but only PUPs
norton has weak/non-existent USB protection and download insight is too aggressive that causes many FPs

symantec is better than norton and much less buggy
I have used many norton versions but unfixed bugs and bugs throughout these versions made me put it into my blacklist

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Thank for replies :)
I Test Norton now. I`m impressed of clean GUI, no impact for system and features for android. Weeb filtering is very good in both cases.
I like firewall of Norton for windows.
I`ll try Kaspersky and make at decision.
Guys what about avast? its good for simple user

I didn't know Norton has this Weeb filtering to filter out weeaboo contents.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
I guarantee norton is one of the worst AVs I have ever used. I have seen many users in my country heavily infected with norton and it's the only AV which made my PC infected in the past (realtime protection missed it but right-click scan detected it!!!). Norton seems to be weak against malwares in asian countries
surprisingly, I don't see people using avast and kaspersky got infected by malwares, but only PUPs
norton has weak/non-existent USB protection and download insight is too aggressive that causes many FPs

symantec is better than norton and much less buggy
I have used many norton versions but unfixed bugs and bugs throughout these versions made me put it into my blacklist

I`m suprised yours opinion.
In Poland is one of the most popular AV.
When I tested in the past it had a very good detecion. Ok Norton did some mistakes few times but in the all tests from av test, av comparatives or avlab it is presents good protection now.
On other hand Avast Premier/IS even on max setting offered only good static detection but many malware infected my tested PC, adware, pup, malware, change registry etc....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchy

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
to be honest then how you write is already made decisions.
I am also from Poland, but I do not have any restrictions on Russian programs.
in my opinion, the best is:
Kaspersky
I use it myself, and so far I have no problems with it and I'm not suggesting that he spies something there, because every program of that sort collects there - data about us.
in any event, choose the one that suits you best.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I`m suprised yours opinion.
In Poland is one of the most popular AV.
When I tested in the past it had a very good detecion. Ok Norton did some mistakes few times but in the all tests from av test, av comparatives or avlab it is presents good protection now.
On other hand Avast Premier/IS even on max setting offered only good static detection but many malware infected my tested PC, adware, pup, malware, change registry etc....
I know norton has great detection rate but it's inconsistent. In test labs, it performs great
however, in real life, it's bad, really bad. in my country and it's almost exitinct
everyone is using kaspersky, avast free and WD, some use ESET

I have disinfected many PCs protected by norton. They can block very sophisticated malwares but can fail agaisnt simple ones
moreover, in my country, many many people use a download manager, which intentionally bypasses norton download insight (one of the best modules in norton) => infected
also, norton heavily relies on cloud. The offline signatures are very weak

USB protection is non-existent although it is present in norton's settings
I performed a test myself, throwing a malware in my USB drive, plugged it in and norton was completely silent after several minutes. It destroyed the tested PC

it's the most unpredictable AV I have ever seen

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
to be honest then how you write is already made decisions.
I am also from Poland, but I do not have any restrictions on Russian programs.
in my opinion, the best is:
Kaspersky
I use it myself, and so far I have no problems with it and I'm not suggesting that he spies something there, because every program of that sort collects there - data about us.
in any event, choose the one that suits you best.

I'm not a opponent of Kaspersky.
I'm just writing about my feelings.
I respect their results, do not check the level of protection.

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
I know norton has great detection rate but it's inconsistent. In test labs, it performs great
however, in real life, it's bad, really bad. in my country and it's almost exitinct

I have disinfected many PCs protected by norton. They can block very sophisticated malwares but can fail agaisnt simple ones
moreover, in my country, many many people use a download manager, which intentionally bypasses norton download insight (one of the best modules in norton) => infected

I performed a test myself, throwing a malware in my USB drive, plugged it in and norton was completely silent after several minutes. It destroyed the tested PC

it`s good to know that. And I respect Your opinion.
That's why I asked forum members to opinions about this software :)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017

SiMilar conclusions..It behaves differently in a variety of situations.
For ex: Norton kNows Url is comproMised ..But yeah we don block at network level But only upon download?
Secondly trashing their virus analysts every 6 moNths ..Like a round loop!
Symantec what I have seen is in finaNicial crisis ..
The thing I hated is why Symantec is tying up with fortinet for web detection and prevention.? So now if relies on Fortjener
They have huge user data and data base...Really hated that move ..Now but happily relies on Fortinet for signatures and web protection
May be better to use fortinet free

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
SiMilar conclusions..It behaves differently in a variety of situations.
For ex: Norton kNows Url is comproMised ..But yeah we don block at network level But only upon download?
Secondly trashing their virus analysts every 6 moNths ..Like a round loop!
Symantec what I have seen is in finaNicial crisis ..
The thing I hated is why Symantec is tying up with fortinet for web detection and prevention.? So now if relies on Fortjener
They have huge user data and data base...Really hated that move ..Now but happily relies on Fortinet for signatures and web protection
May be better to use fortinet free
norton doesn't have a web filter on system level but instead, they install Norton safe web extension for chrome and firefox => this becomes their only web filter. We know norton safe web is close to be abandoned
hey also have Download Insight. After a file is completely downloaded by your browser (not download manager), it will be checked with the cloud and if it has low reputation or low number of users (<100), it will be blocked => too many false positives
this works very similarly to Windows smartscreen

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
norton doesn't have a web filter on system level but instead, they install Norton safe web extension for chrome and firefox => this becomes their only web filter. We know norton safe web is close to be abandoned
hey also have Download Insight. After a file is completely downloaded by your browser (not download manager), it will be checked with the cloud and if it has low reputation or low number of users (<100), it will be blocked => too many false positives
this works very similarly to Windows smartscreen

every AV has strengths and weaknesses, and every AV once forgets something.
As for FP, this is not a problem for me because I like to have as few third party programs as possible. I use only certain and tested programs.
But every information from MT users is valuable and I have to think about it.
Unfortunately, there is no ideal product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.