Battle Norton Deluxe vs AVG Unlimited vs Kaspersky Total Security?

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hey

I have a need to buy an IS package for the whole family for PCs with windows and androids.

I need the package to offer great protection, be lightweight, have a customizable firewall (although to a small extent).
As for the androids, I need functions such as website filtering (firefox), device location and remote reset / blocking.

At the moment I am thinking about:

Norton, Kaspersky`m, AVG

I will be grateful for your help

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I think Kaspersky is superb but I also like Norton & have it on this PC - it has a really good firewall & also & not unimportant a very configurable firewall. This can be useful for a non geek, on the Norton site with Deluxe they promise: '100% Virus Protection Promise: From the moment you subscribe, a Norton expert is available to help keep your devices virus-free, or give you a refund' - I've never needed that or will never need it as I image regularly but may be useful for some.

Norton has done well on a few You Tube tests & in AV-Comparatives. However I think most AV solutions are pretty much the same nowadays as regards protection unlike the past. You can't be uninstalling & running to another product because someone has had a bad experience with product X - You will be changing your AV for ever if you do that.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I've been not liking what Avast/AVG have been doing but I got to admit AVG's Unlimited deals on Ebay are unreal and I had to try it (2 years of protection for around 13USD, reputable seller).

While properly configured it is silent, no outstanding telemetry is sent and it simply works. Plus it has come long way from being mediocre to actually working against everything (even fileless malware). I've recently tested it with some 10's of samples and their Behavior Shield really is working a lot more actively than ever before.
+ all the cloud tech in program's disposal (y)
+ it includes Ransomware shield which I have not yet managed to bypass with any of the ransomware I've thrown at it.

So overall I find it quite good contender - "unlimited" devices, lightweight, A+ protection and overall good software. I'm starting to like it again :)

There is no 100% protection but I consider AVG Unlimited to be enough for average Joe.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Norton Deluxe is totally useless. If you want to use a Symantec products at all costs you should to opt SEP (Symantec Endpoint Protection) otherwise Kaspersky. Do not listen to those who say: “Kasperspy” and other bullshits. There is no evidence that they spy users, and Kaspersky is also opening the first transparency center and is launching many campaigns on awareness and the importance of privacy. They estimate that by the end of 2019 they will be able to decentralize their data centers in Switzerland (neutral).
You can find more here: Kaspersky Lab Transparency Center | Kaspersky Lab
P.S. If you have Norton Deluxe license use it, don't spend other moneys.
P.P.S. Tips: The best way to understand if an antivirus is good or not is to try it. Both give the trial.
Totally Useless and in the end you say, if you have a license use it. This post of you is based on nothing.
Norton Deluxe is very good and i would suggest people to try it. This post of your's in not really reliable.

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Totally Useless and in the end you say, if you have a license use it. This post of you is based on nothing.
Norton Deluxe is very good and i would suggest people to try it. This post of your's in not really reliable.
Because if you have already a license why you need to spend other moneys for change the AV? If you don't feel comfortable with the product you can change it, otherwise it does not make sense to change. Just wait until the license expires.

Cavehomme

Level 1
Verified
Apr 16, 2014
Too many issues with Kasperky. It's high protection, but impacts upon computer use. Norton is the easiest to use in a family context, but you should also consider Sophos Home, you can manage everyone remotely via a web interface.

Personally for me, I use Windows Defender plus Malwarebytes Premium, it's more than enough to protect 99.9% of users and it does not get in the way, you forget it's there.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I've used Norton for many years, nevar had a problem. Works flawlessly in all OS that I have it (windows, android, macOS). Probably it does not offer the best protection, but is strong enough for home use, light, and perfect if you want an "install and forget" product. We have 7 devices in the family protected by Norton, and in my country I can get the Premium version quite cheap every year.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Could anybody share some AVG tweaks for better performance? Similar to the tweaks of Avast from @Evjl's Rain :)
Avg ultimate or free? Difference between those is just that internet security/ ultimate has more bloat and the firewall wich is just average

Ultimate is 79 usd a year, you can get avg free + some other free security sws to have same protection

In my opinion AVG is just simple mode of AVAST, wich has more tweaks ( well atleast the agressive mode) and people have been telling that the paid avast is just free with bloat

You can opt datamining out in free versions, so only thing that would bother you is ads in avast, but theyre blockable with firewall settings

So there isnt much to tweak in avg, probably mess up with firewall settings, but you can find tools doing same things without paying

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I gave AVG a try a couple of months ago when KIS was close to expiring. It was years since I tried it & that was the free version, this was the pay version & I was very impressed with the GUI & test reports: I would probably have used it were it not for difficulty in unblocking the firewall to allow streaming video to my SONY TV & esp. my hi-Fi music streamer, eventually I gave up after it working some of the time, I had the same issue with G-Data.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Could anybody share some AVG tweaks for better performance? Similar to the tweaks of Avast from @Evjl's Rain :)
VG is just simple mode of AVAST, wich has more tweaks ( well atleast the agressive mode) and people have been telling that th
basically, they are the same, AVG = avast without hardened mode and a few terminological changes
settings -> protection -> troubleshoot -> open old settings -> perform my avast's tweaks like normal
however, I recently tried the new version of avast 2019, I felt disappointed because I think performance is worse than last year and the setting UI is not easy to use like before

I switched to Kaspersky cloud free with all performance tweaks. I think it's even lighter than avast except web filter feels a bit heavy than avast's web filter
kaspersky installs a WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) driver to monitor network. Every traffic is scanned by kaspersky even if you disable Web anti-virus

plus change Behavior shield to always ask or the second option

Last edited:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I switch for a little test period from eset nod32 ( lack of behavior blocker) to AVG free.
I see less ads and pop ups in the avg free version than in the bloated avast free version (y)

I wanna make the combo with OSArmor. Until now, the AVG free runs smooth on my system....no slowdown or issues.

@Evjl's Rain I have used the kaspersky antivirus 2017 (paid version), and I was not happy with it...changed the security level to low for less impact.
But I think that cannot be the sense to castrate the best antivirus on the market for better performance.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
basically, they are the same, AVG = avast without hardened mode and a few terminological changes
settings -> protection -> troubleshoot -> open old settings -> perform my avast's tweaks like normal
however, I recently tried the new version of avast 2019, I felt disappointed because I think performance is worse than last year and the setting UI is not easy to use like before

I switched to Kaspersky cloud free with all performance tweaks. I think it's even lighter than avast except web filter feels a bit heavy than avast's web filter
kaspersky installs a WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) driver to monitor network. Every traffic is scanned by kaspersky even if you disable Web anti-virus

plus change Behavior shield to always ask or the second option

On my system i don t see difference to performance. But the settings is very dificult and with my language.

Reactions: Weebarra and Nestor

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.