Q&A Norton Family Plus installed. Should I also buy HitmanPro.Alert?

Discussion in 'Norton (Symantec)' started by brod2, Oct 4, 2017.

1. brod2

brod2 New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    liverpool merseyside united kingdom
    Windows 10
    Norton
    #1 brod2, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
    I have Norton Family Plus, the free version SuperAntiSpyware and Ihave been using HitmanPro on a free trial but it will run out soon. I am thinking of buying HitmanPro.Alert, should I do this or not? What are the pros and cons?

bribon77 likes this.
  2. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    HitmanPro Alert is able to detect and neutralize almost all of the new malware, banking trojan or ransomware. The program indeed, is able to determine when key features of the operating system are required or modified by third party programs, especially if they are not reliable.

If I well remember HPA uses the hardware registers (MSR) made available in Intel CPU (Core i3, i5 and i7 processors from the second generation and beyond) in order to perform Control Flow Integrity (CFI) analysis, supported in hardware.
    The CFI analysis allows you to prevent operations that are not foreseen in the original application and lock the ROP (Return-oriented programming) attacks.
    Such attacks generally take advantage of portions of legitimate code, already present on the system, to perform malicious actions.

It is a great piece of software according to my POV :)

3. bribon77

bribon77 Level 10

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Yes you can and your pocket allows it YES.

tim one and Transhumana like this.
  4. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Dang, you got me convinced too!

tim one, mlnevese and Transhumana like this.
  5. Telos

Telos Level 8

Jan 29, 2017
    Baana
    Alternately, you could contact Norton and upgrade to Norton Security Premium which contains all the family features you now have and adds malware protection.

6. L S

L S Level 5

Jul 16, 2014
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Yes, ....... and if you can replace Super AntiSpyware Free with Malwarebytes Free - I recommend it !!! (y)

tim one and Transhumana like this.
  7. Transhumana

Transhumana Level 5

Jul 6, 2017
    Croatia
    Windows 10
    HitmanPro.Alert is a great piece of anti-exploit software and if it works with other security software that you use and if your budget allows you, I'd go for it.
    I also like that you can check if all components work correctly on your PC by running the test tool which is, I believe, still available for download on their website. :)

tim one, L S and frogboy like this.