Norton protection for Windows 7 once Microsoft ends its support

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Microsoft has formally announced the end of support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Your Norton products will continue to support Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

If you are on Windows 7, your Norton client security software will no longer receive the new software updates that the supported versions of Windows (Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7 Service Pack 1) will receive.

However, your Norton client security software will continue to receive the latest malware definitions by LiveUpdate, vulnerability updates, and compatibility fixes.

Be aware that in addition to running the most up-to-date security products, another important aspect of protecting your computer is to keep it current with the latest service pack and patches for the operating system.

As Microsoft announced, they will no longer publish patches for Windows 7, these computers may become targets for cyber criminals, particularly if new vulnerabilities are discovered in the operating system. Depending on the nature of the threats involved, Windows 7 may be susceptible to viruses and risks to which more recent iterations of Windows are immune. Due to this, we strongly recommend that you upgrade your Windows 7 computer to a supported operating system as soon as possible.

Frequently asked questions:

1. Will Windows 7 become less secure after Microsoft ends support on January 14, 2020?

Microsoft has stated, "If you continue to use Windows 7 after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses." The reason is that Microsoft is no longer providing technical assistance for users of Windows 7. Microsoft will stop producing any operating system updates required to close any vulnerabilities that are found in Windows 7. Here is the Microsoft announcement about the end of support for Windows 7.

2. Does NortonLifeLock recommend updating to another operating system?

Yes. If you have a Windows 7 computer, we strongly recommend that you upgrade to a more modern and supported operating system as soon as possible.

3. Does NortonLifeLock have recommendations if I continue to use Windows 7?

If you choose to continue using Windows 7, we recommend a combination of best practices:

• Ensure that your Windows 7 system is patched with the latest updates from Microsoft as available before January 14, 2020.
  • Migrate to applications that are supported with security updates and patches on Windows 7.
  • Ensure that your security software is up-to-date and actively supported by your security vendor on Windows 7.

4. If I am running the latest version of Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, or Norton Security, will I still receive updates and virus definitions on Windows 7?

At the time of this F.A.Q, the latest major version of these solutions is version 22.x. At this time, we support these solutions with the software updates and the virus definitions for all supported versions of Microsoft Windows (including Windows 7 SP1).

5. If I am running an older version of Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, or Norton Security, will I still receive software updates and virus definitions on Windows 7?

Versions of Norton solutions older than 22.x will be supported based on the following guidelines:

• We will provide virus definition updates for 3 years after the release of each major software version.
  • If you receive virus definition updates for an earlier version, you will continue to receive the definition sets that are compatible across all Windows platforms which your Norton solution supports.
  • If you require support for an earlier version, you may be required to update to the latest version of the solution during the support process.

6. Will NortonLifeLock support Windows 7 in its next major release of Norton-branded security solutions?

Our goal is to provide the best protection possible on the broadest set of operating systems that are used by our customers. Depending on security demands and development, future versions of Norton-branded security solutions may drop support for retired operating systems. As always, we will provide explicit system requirements in the documentation for every software update that we release.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
im waiting with pop-corn the next wave of infected Windows 7 machines LOL
That will depend on the users who are using the OS. I'm still sticking to Windows 7 on one of my desktops and I know that I will be safe from online threats as long as I have my basic common sense, my ESET and Edge updated. Most of the home PC's that are infected is usually the result of the end-user.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

That will depend on the users who are using the OS. I'm still sticking to Windows 7 on one of my desktops and I know that I will be safe from online threats as long as I have my basic common sense, my ESET and Edge updated.
That is expected from a security enthusiast/forum member...however Average Joe or Mr Noob...
Most people who are praising Win7 while disregarding the extra security afforded by Win10 are usually computer literate and security enthusiasts, and some of them tend to believe the rest of the world is as knowledgeable as them...

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
That is expected from a security enthusiast/forum member...however Average Joe or Mr Noob...
Most people who are praising Windows 7 while disregarding the extra security afforded by Windows 10 are usually computer literate and security enthusiasts, and some of them tend to believe the rest of the world is as knowledgeable as them...
Anyone who denies the fact that windows 10 is more secure than windows 7 is a fool. But at the same time, most of the home users get infected because of their fault. I've had many instances where in a fully updated Windows 10, the PC was infected simply because the user disabled the AV while running a crack or a trainer since the AV was detecting the crack as threat. If the user practices safe habits, Windows 7 vs Windows 10 becomes irrelevant.

Reactions: Outpost

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
As Microsoft announced, they will no longer publish patches for Windows 7, these computers may become targets for cyber criminals, particularly if new vulnerabilities are discovered in the operating system. Depending on the nature of the threats involved, Windows 7 may be susceptible to viruses and risks to which more recent iterations of Windows are immune. Due to this, we strongly recommend that you upgrade your Windows 7 computer to a supported operating system as soon as possible.

I think Norton here is excluding himself from the responsibility, of users who use W7.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

If the user practices safe habits, Windows 7 vs Windows 10 becomes irrelevant.
Indeed but sadly safe practices can't stop everything, if a legit software is replaced by a malicious one directly on the official site, as the Ccleaner or Linux Mint drama, you are done... and if the said compromised app focuses on a known OS vulnerability, then even with a dozen of security apps on Win7, you are double-done because your system isn't patched for it and you will probably allow the installer to run...
However on Win10, you have some chance that some built-in security features may kicks-in and eventually block or at least hamper the infection and or you may have a the vulnerability patched already.
This is why WinXP/7 are often targeted by exploits because easier to breach than Win8/10 and the former is used as bridge to infect the latter (example network kernel exploit).
This is that kind of scenario those no-skill paranoids don't understand, falsely believing their multiple tools are their best protection...

As i often say "a sword master doesn't need any armor, his skills are his armor"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.