Status
Not open for further replies.

ttto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Norton Security has been awarded the best computer protection software, based in test and comparison of components of brands software for all the devices, including support!
Sin_t_tulo.jpg

Considerations of the test:

In addition to test results, we consider the software's feature sets, which vary according to the operating system you use the software on. The most complete feature sets are in the Windows components of multiplatform computer protection software.

Antiphishing is now just as important as antimalware. Fortunately, all of the products include it in their Windows components. Furthermore, most of the products we reviewed can detect threats that attempt to infiltrate via emails and instant messages. All of the products that we reviewed can automatically check for threats to Windows that try to move in when you attach removable storage such as a USB thumb drive.

The Macintosh component feature lists are usually not as extensive as those of the Windows component. Most of the products in our review support antiphishing on Mac machines. It is not by coincidence that the three products at the bottom of our ranking do not protect Macs from malicious websites.

The features you can expect to find in the Android component of the products we reviewed include antitheft features, call blocking and message filtering. Many of the mobile products also protect you from malicious websites. Some of them include parental controls and backup utilities. Each product we reviewed has an application advisor that warns you if an app demands permissions that might threaten your privacy.

One of the most important functions to consider with computer protection software that supports multiple operating systems is how well you can manage preferences and subscriptions from a single console. In our experience with these products, all of them provide excellent centralized account management. The ones that stand out and deserve the slightly better ease-of-use scores go a step further, giving you some ability to perform scans on various device installations from a central console so that you are not limited to performing the actions from a specific device.

Final veredict:

The convenience of multiplatform computer protection software is becoming apparent as many of us acquire more and more computing devices. Furthermore, we are entrusting ever-younger children in our families with computing devices. Older children are bringing the Windows vs. Mac and Android vs. iOS debates into the home, which means that households wind up with lots of different devices to protect.

Which of the winning products is right for you depends on your situation. Among our Gold, Silver and Bronze Award winners, each one is missing features that you might require, so examine our side-by-side comparison. You'll find that when you consider multiplatform security essentials, they all achieve excellence. Whether on Windows, Mac or Android, they scan malware effectively, tread lightly on system resources, demonstrate accuracy in discerning safe files from infected ones and protect you from malicious websites. Also, the publishers respond to support requests with live operators 18 to 24 hours per day.

Each of the top three products excels in different areas, and you might not require your security software to bundle features that you have already taken care of with alternative applications and utilities. For example, Bitdefender provides 2GB of online backup, whereas Norton provides 25GB and Kaspersky doesn't offer backup at all. This is something to consider if you haven't backed up your data online with another application.

Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky all include parental controls to protect and monitor your children online on Windows. Only Kaspersky extends parental controls to Mac, but it excludes them from Android and iOS. What to choose depends on what devices you and the others in your home use. Our recommendation is to examine our matrix closely and, armed with this information, find the best computer protection software for your household.

ttto

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I agree with you guys that these websites are not the best sites to trust, but I quite like the way the features are compared, I found it very useful to find the software that more suits to your needs.:)

koko

Level 5
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 28, 2013
I'm thinking of getting Norton. So what is your best? KIS, BIS...?

1. Kasperksy -> Lot's of advanced customisable security options, only take this AV if you wan't to fine tune your security :)
2. Norton -> Install and forget, good for novice users :)
3. Bitdefender -> Good overall protection.

EDIT: This is my top 3 and my reasons, watch youtube reviews and decide for yourself, only take my opion as a guideline :)

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Found this on Spiceworks and Symantec in general:

IMHO, Symantec can never be considered a contender after the company as a whole had a corporate policy of basically lying to their customers about the gross bloat ware and other problems that were allowed to develop between 2004-2008. How can you ever trust a security company that was caught lying and clearly had no care for the SMB market

The 10 best antivirus solutions of 2016 reviewed by IT pros

Reactions: ZeroDay and Evandro

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm thinking of getting Norton. So what is your best? KIS, BIS...?
Definitly the three of them will give you a solid hard protection. If you know what you do, and you have the basic knowledge of what to click, how to not-run suspicious executables, then any of them will be suitable for you. Norton would be the lightest, so if your system lacks of RAM or processor, i'd choose it. Kaspersky would be the strongest, with its Application Control and lots of modules. BitDefender is as well another great option, for years it has lead the market because of its great real time protection and detection ratio, but still, it demands good hardware. It's up to you. I'd go Kaspersky if i can run it, or Norton.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Found this on Spiceworks and Symantec in general:

IMHO, Symantec can never be considered a contender after the company as a whole had a corporate policy of basically lying to their customers about the gross bloat ware and other problems that were allowed to develop between 2004-2008. How can you ever trust a security company that was caught lying and clearly had no care for the SMB market

The 10 best antivirus solutions of 2016 reviewed by IT pros
About normal software it is possible to define objective tests from which it is possible to establish an objective ranking. In the case of antivirus, the issue is much more complex, because the quality of the final product depends not only on the ability to effectively identify known malware, but above all on the detection of new malware.

This is a crucial element. It will be always a time-window between the time that the malware appears in the net and the antivirus will be able to detect the threat and block it.
The malware should be identified, analyzed, and finally encoded because the scan engine can detect it.
It is a time-consuming process that requires a team composed of competent staff that works on the new signatures and, above all, on the constant implementation of behavior technology, SONAR in the case of Symantec.

From my point of view this is the most important quality, but it's hard to test it objectively. However, there is an indirect way to analyze the work of analysis team, so I personally test AV products and I've also tested Norton for many time.
Symantec has one of the biggest signatures database, and one of the best behavioural blocker.

The rest of the story from the above source or their policies, in my view does not affect the technical quality of the product.

Just my opinion :)

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
In my opinion
I think norton has improved in the last years in its quality and dynamical however this means that a common user can feel calm with the great network and database that has, but still there are things to improve.
In addition, many of these comparatives and reports come with profits and preferences for a particular product, without being inparcial to others, so they lose their value. :)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In my opinion
I think norton has improved in the last years in its quality and dynamical however this means that a common user can feel calm with the great network and database that has, but still there are things to improve.
In addition, many of these comparatives and reports come with profits and preferences for a particular product, without being inparcial to others, so they lose their value. :)
I must agree here. Lots of comparatives removed Symantec's products from their reviews and now Norton is one of the most solid protection software out there. Back when i tested it around 2012, the product was:

• Unstable
  • Buggy
  • Heavy
  • RAM and CPU consumer
  • A pain to uninstall

Earlier this year i downloaded a trial to "give it a try" and i was so amazed. To start with, the GUI was so different. More attractive and modern. The second thing that amazed me the most was how light to the system it was. It actually consumed less than 60MB RAM. My system felt light and i never had performance issues, even when set to the maximum protection. As well, the real time protection was really accurate when blocking pishing sites/malware sites. As always lately, the detection rate was one of the best. But here's what i loved the most: you could have control over it. Wether it's more an "install & forget" you could actually set the product the way you want, configuring its modules and firewall to fit your knowledge level. And the support i had was really quick, efficient and clear. Still, i must highlight two disadvantages the software still has:

• Buggy GUI: despite the system was light, opening the GUI was slow and it usually went white (not responding). Sometimes it even crashed with no reason.
  • Uninstalling problems: uninstalling Norton broke my system once again, as the old times.
But without hesitating i would recommend this software to anyone who actually looks for good protection & support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.