Battle Norton Security or Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Compare list
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Norton Security
In-depth Comparison

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Hello guys. I'm stuck in a dilemma as to what I should choose for my family desktop. It still runs Windows 7 (please don't tell me to upgrade to 10 right now, I'll do it by the end of this year) and is used by my parents just to watch movies, listen to songs and for casual browsing. I have a license of SEP lying around with me but I'm a bit hesitant to Install it after hearing about the Broadcomm acquisition. Does it offer the same protection as before? Or should I switch to Norton Security (or maybe Kaspersky). I don't need the cloud backup feature of Norton tbh since I already have MEGA on the PC. So what are your suggestions? Stick with SEP or go with Norton/Kaspersky?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
In the Internet Security version the vault is not there anymore but yeah Mcafee scans only on execution. I didn't dig deep into the settings but the option is not easily to be seen. I'll let you know if I come across the option. But scanning on execution is not bad protection wise.
But I don't see any internet security version on their website. There's only Total Protection :unsure:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
But I don't see any internet security version on their website. There's only Total Protection :unsure:
That's strange. Then how come I got the 180 days trial of the Internet Security? Maybe it's just specially for me. :p:p
Mcafee.JPG

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
You lack one of my fav components - the CPU prioritiser/optimiser. Don't go too cheap, get McAfee Total protection from eBAY :)
I don't need those on this PC mate. This PC is just for viewing family photos, casual surfing and checking mails, watching movies and listening to songs and sometimes online banking. Besides I don't use this PC, only my parents use it.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does McAfee WebAdvisor work as a standalone program or extension for Chrome?

Yes, but it is restricted to certain search engines,e.g. Yahoo IIRC, which is why I don't like it. If you're not concerned about privacy, it's good. BDTL also checks search results, but that feature is optional. Or MBBG. All are good. It just depends .....

B

BVLon

Yes, but it is restricted to certain search engines,e.g. Yahoo IIRC, which is why I don't like it. If you're not concerned about privacy, it's good. BDTL also checks search results, but that feature is optional. Or MBBG. All are good. It just depends .....
It is not restricted to any search engines. It works with Google and it blocks any harmful website that comes up in the address bar, regardless of the search engine. The indicators next to a search results are disabled by default, but can be enabled in settings.
Also, McAfee is not a company that sells your data. McAfee now falls under GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act. They offer plethora of paid products (mostly for businesses) and don't need them pennies that your search history will generate.
McAfee is not Avast or Qihoo.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@BVLon Since you're trying out TM, I'm asking you this question. in Windows 7, after TM detects and removes infections, the file extensions are displayed automatically I know, but another major issue I found out that TM resets the UAC to Default Settings when it's set to ALWAYS NOTIFY. To be sure, I tested 4-5 times and the same thing happens every time. Do you notice this issue on your OS?

B

BVLon

@BVLon Since you're trying out TM, I'm asking you this question. in Windows 7, after TM detects and removes infections, the file extensions are displayed automatically I know, but another major issue I found out that TM resets the UAC to Default Settings when it's set to ALWAYS NOTIFY. To be sure, I tested 4-5 times and the same thing happens every time. Do you notice this issue on your OS?
That's something that TM needs to look into. My UAC is at the default level, so I haven't noticed, but I do know that TM uses threat correlation engine and damage cleanup engine + pattern to perform pre-described remediation routine. Users have no control over it whatsoever.

B

BVLon

I'm considering giving Norton another go on my Windows 10 system. Last time I tried McAfee internet security though I was pleasantly surprised. Still not the best but definitely improved.
It has been improved a lot, especially since January when they fixed the nuisance with their UI. Before they used to show scans and settings in a tiny window. You were supposed to manage the programs allowed to connect to the network for example, in a window that shows 3 items at a time. Now they utilise the whole large main window. It's also a lot lighter than before and detection is not that bad. At least you can compare it to others. Norton however is still a lot better.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Does McAfee WebAdvisor work as a standalone program or extension for Chrome? Then I'm thinking about using it with Trend Micro trial to see how well it goes. Else I'll try the McAfee Internet Security suite. I've got a trial license of 6 months through Facebook.
Yeah, if you type it in Google it will pop-up. Works with Chrome, FF, Edge and Chromium Edge. Alternatively, you can try MalwareBytes Browser Guard. I recommend that you use Browser Guard/Web Advisor + Popup Blocker Strict + uBlock. This combination is unbeatable.

Why do you need to add it? I admit McAfee webadvisor is decent but TM offers decent web protection.

I'm considering giving Norton another go on my Windows 10 system. Last time I tried McAfee internet security though I was pleasantly surprised. Still not the best but definitely improved.
I have a three-year license and I keep installing it every now and then to see the improvements. I really like McAfee.

Yes, it is very hard to find MIS on their website. I download it from my McAfee account portal. Anyway I have contacted McAfee support many times asking them to upgrade my MIS subscription to MTP by deducting some days (Bitdefender will gladly do that) but they refused and the only solution they gave is to discard MIS susbcription and buy a new subscription. Really? Anyway, you can purchase a three-year MIS subscription for 1 device for 5 bucks.

You lack one of my fav components - the CPU prioritiser/optimiser. Don't go too cheap, get McAfee Total protection from eBAY :)
It is included in the internet security version.

It has been improved a lot, especially since January when they fixed the nuisance with their UI. Before they used to show scans and settings in a tiny window. You were supposed to manage the programs allowed to connect to the network for example, in a window that shows 3 items at a time. Now they utilise the whole large main window. It's also a lot lighter than before and detection is not that bad. At least you can compare it to others. Norton however is still a lot better.
I have only one concern regarding McAfee. SOmetimes I download some malware samples to test McAfee. SOme of the samples were not detected by McAfee (neither by static detection nor on execution). Surprisingly, uploading the undetected samples to VT it shows that these samples are detected by McAfee Artemis (McAfee's cloud). I was like wt*. I do not know how McAfee operates but it sucks when you get infected by sth that should be detected.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I have only one concern regarding McAfee. SOmetimes I download some malware samples to test McAfee. SOme of the samples were not detected by McAfee (neither by static detection nor on execution). Surprisingly, uploading the undetected samples to VT it shows that these samples are detected by McAfee Artemis (McAfee's cloud). I was like wt*. I do not know how McAfee operates but it sucks when you get infected by sth that should be detected.

I get lots of 'free McAfee.' Work gives it to me free. Dell has given it to me 'free'. My ISP gives it to me 'free.'

I have a lot of computers in my household. But you will not find McAfee on any of them.

I think McAfee is just not very good.

If you look are how McAfee is often characterized here for over a full decade, the McAfee discussion point for those who use it is often the same. "It's improving." For years, people stated..."Now that Intel bought McAfee, it's gonna be good.."

But it just never seems to improve enough to be a good product. It's CrapAfee.

But hey.... if anybody likes it --- use it. We here at MT know enough about other supplementary products and hardening --- that you'll be fine.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I get lots of 'free McAfee.' Work gives it to me free. Dell has given it to me 'free'. My ISP gives it to me 'free.'

I have a lot of computers in my household. But you will not find McAfee on any of them.

I think McAfee is just not very good.

If you look are how McAfee is often characterized here for over a full decade, the McAfee discussion point for those who use it is often the same. "It's improving." For years, people stated..."Now that Intel bought McAfee, it's gonna be good.."

But it just never seems to improve enough to be a good product. It's CrapAfee.

But hey.... if anybody likes it --- use it. We here at MT know enough about other supplementary products and hardening --- that you'll be fine.
Well, I do agree with you but let's be a little fair. McAfee has improved a lot; it has become light (actually one of the lightest) and its protection is very good. That does not make it great in its current state, but it works for some.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
-ESET NOD32 Internet Security
-Trend Micro Internet Security
-Bitdefender Total Security
-Norton 360
-In addition to Cylance
But without browser protection
I really like the lightest of ESET and heuristics, but they still don't have a complete suite like BitDefender, Kaspersky, Norton or even Trend Micro.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I really like the lightest of ESET and heuristics, but they still don't have a complete suite like BitDefender, Kaspersky, Norton or even Trend Micro.
If you're talking about the ESET Smart Security Premium version then yes it lacks the cleanup utilities and vpn. Eset also has no plans to include a vpn into their product. But their internet security version has few extra features that most AVs lack that is Anti-theft (for laptops), Connected home monitor, SysInspector.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.