RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm on a dilemma here. Was planning to leave Avast Free behind and choose from a paid suite.
  1. Norton Security Standard (lastest version)
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security (lastest version)

What would you recommend for home use and advanced knowledge? Thanks! :)

Aditional notes:

• Chosen product will be on max settings
  • Will use the suite firewall (on max settings)
  • Will be used along with VodooShield and HitmanPro.Alert

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My recent experience with Kaspersky:

• Installed along with HitmanPro.Alert and VodooShield
  • Installed Internet Security 2017 Version
  • Installed on Windows 10 64 Bits
  • Hardware is i5 4th Generation, 8GB RAM laptop

After installing it i rebooted the system and noticed really change on the boot time comparing to Avast. My SSD booted on 6 seconds or less, and now it booted on 15/20s. After loading all software, Chrome took around 15 seconds to open, when while having a SSD i used to open in in 2 seconds. First hint that may be incompatible with installed security software.
Immediatly after, i tweaked KIS settings to achieve max security through App Control, Firewall and its modules. This was the worst experience ever trying an antivirus. RAM consuming reached 160mb and CPU usage went to 18% and never dropped.

I highly think problem may be with VodooShield and/or HitmanPro.Alert, or maybe because i didn't install it on a clean OS. When i leave the farm and have decent internet connection will try again and verify this. Rolled back and back with Avast.

D

Deleted member 2913

RoboMan,

If you are going to test with VS & HPA uninstalled, try this -
Install KIS & restart the system (first restart may take time)
Tweak the settings you want And disable options/features/modules you dont need or use)
Do a full scan (KIS full scan completes in app 30 mins here on HDD, C - System Partition - 50/100 Gb full, D - Data Partition - 100/350 GB full)
Uninstall Kaspersky Secure Connection through Programs & Features on you system, KSC separate uninstall entry is there (Uninstall KSC if you dont need or use)
Restart the system & notice boot, browsing, etc...
Restart the system again & notice boot, browsing, etc...

I do the above mentioned stuffs, etc to give any security software a fair chance on my system.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
RoboMan,

Tweak the settings you want And disable options/features/modules you dont need or use)
Do a full scan (KIS full scan completes in app 30 mins here on HDD, C - System Partition - 50/100 Gb full, D - Data Partition - 100/350 GB full)
Uninstall Kaspersky Secure Connection through Programs & Features on you system, KSC separate uninstall entry is there (Uninstall KSC if you dont need or use)

I do the above mentioned stuffs, etc to give any security software a fair chance on my system.
Definitly gonna try, thank you very much. Help is appreciated.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
RoboMan,

Good advice there Yash Khan.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Kaspersky products are way above Symantec's ones if you ask me. I've also used Kaspersky Internet Security for years and it never failed me, while Symantec failed me plenty of times before (when I was younger). I still deal with Symantec products on some computers I work on, and I don't see them improving at all.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
KIS maybe very slow on a few first boots but after that it will perform better
The reason is it has to collect caches of files in the system, caches for signature and the data for its application control,...
moreover, the smart mode in file protection is horrible, it slows everything down
and the option: concede resource for other... should be turned on

M

MalwareBlockerYT

The reason is it has to collect caches of files in the system, caches for signature and the data for its application control,...
moreover, the smart mode in file protection is horrible, it slows everything down
Where can you find the Concede resource setting? I cannot find it. I have just changed my File AV from Smart Mode to On Access.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

It's in Performance settings: Concede resources to other applications
Are you sure it isn't called "Release resources"? That's the closest thing I can find to what you are talking about...

upload_2016-12-2_18-29-47.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Are you sure it isn't called "Release resources"? That's the closest thing I can find to what you are talking about...

View attachment 125714
sorry they removed the option, I don't have KIS now so I cannot find where it is. It was there the last time I used
I read on kaspersky support page for the older version, I guess they changed it into: Postpone computer scan tasks...
Code:
Concede resources to other applications. Computer scan tasks will be postponed when the CPU and disk systems are at high load.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Did you run the Norton at all? Just curious.

I'm a previous Norton user.

Would you mind sharing with a good strong configuration for this product that doesn't slow my PC as it did?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

sorry they removed the option, I don't have KIS now so I cannot find where it is. It was there the last time I used
I read on kaspersky support page for the older version, I guess they changed it into: Postpone computer scan tasks...
Code:
Concede resources to other applications. Computer scan tasks will be postponed when the CPU and disk systems are at high load.
Thanks yeah it must be.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

Would you mind sharing with a good strong configuration for this product that doesn't slow my PC as it did?
this is the guide from @harlan4096, he has a quite similar config to mine. It's old but still applicable
PC: SECURE - harlan4096's config
My settings, a bit different from him, normal format may mean either I don't use or disable, the difference is in Bold, Red means I also recommend it:
*Settings -> General -> Tick Perform recommended actions automatically.

* Settings -> Protection -> File Anti-Virus -> Advanced Settings:
Files types: By format.
Heur Analysis: light.
Scan Mode: On access and modification. <--- highly recommended, or you can choose On access but less secure

* Application Control:
Untick Trust Digitally signed applications.
Change trust group for unknown applications: High Restricted.
Change trust group for applications started before start-up of Kaspersky: Low Restrict/High Restricted.

* Private Browsing:
Block detected requests -> Untick allow data collections of websites of Kaspersky.

* Web Anti-Virus: Recommend Security Level.
Advanced Settings:
Configure Kaspersky URL Advisor: check all website categories.

* FireWall: check the 5 check boxes.
NetWorks -> Your network device/network connection -> Trusted Type. Edit it and tick the 3 check boxes notifications on the right. Set Your
default printer also.

* System Changes Control: On. Enable check boxes 1,2 & 3.

* Anti-Spam: High Security Level.

* Anti-Banner: On. <-- I turned off this one. Quite useless and problematic

* Performance:
Gaming Profile: off. <-- On
Concede resources to operating system...: off.
Concede resources to others applications: on. (Now it is "Postpone...")

* Scan: High Security Level.
Advanced Settings -> Quick Scan settings -> Additional Settings -> Scan of compound files: tick the 1st 4 check boxes.

* Settings -> Additional -> Secure Data Input: edit both categories and check all the check boxes.

* Settings -> Additional -> Threats and Exclusions: tick -> Detect other software that can...

* Settings -> Additional -> NetWork:
Monitor all network ports. <-- I prefer the default option, not this one. It caused problems to my browsers
Encrypted connections scanning: check 3rd radio button. Close all browsers -> Advanced Settings -> Install Certificate.

* Additional Tools -> Trusted Application Mode -> ENABLE (be a bit patient here until scan is finished). <-- I don't use TAM

Last edited:

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

I would be happy to. Very close to default. With NO browser extensions added, Identity Safe turned off,And AntiSpam disabled, SafeWeb also disabled. I am only running the AV version, because Windows firewall seems to work fine.
All other settings are left alone

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Norton doesn't get much love it seems, I was just testing it and while not the best protection, customization and UI, it is very light and hardly uses any RAM and CPU. I would consider it if you still have 6 months left and Kaspersky slows your PC down. or VM it and test everything.

Edit and update: The scans are about 30 minutes and the detection shows 2 FP i believe, VirusTotal showed 0/55 for both files.

3.png
4.png

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
For those experiencing issues with KIS being heavy, especially when browsing, you can try doing the following until some of the issues are resolved, hopefully in the 2018 release:
Kaspersky Settings > Protection > disable Private Browsing > clear browser cache > reboot
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Do not scan encrypted connections
Kaspersky > Settings > Additional > Network > Traffic Processing > uncheck Inject Script

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.