Advice Request Norton Security - Web Guard: Is it any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
yea well when you're using BD sigs, you better have a dedicated team doing sigs for yourself else your AV will have to handle a lot of stuff dynamically.
With the last malware test , G-Data had the definitions faster than Norton ;) When i wanted to test with Norton it crashed again, so i uninstalled it.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
And so who was one of the first AV's , Norton, right ? they have unlimited funds , right? what I am gearing here is that they are now scum bags? as far as I know they make many other things besides an AV. Imaging software, remote connect software ect ect. Even though I was one of their first beta testers back in the 90's I would not down talk them for their AV solution alone.
First let them make a stable AV and not a buggy one. They pull so many updates from releasing because of bugs.

Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

With the last malware test , G-Data had the definitions faster than Norton ;) When i wanted to test with Norton it crashed again, so i uninstalled it.

I have tested g-data and found viper to be better. Now you are makin me want to test Norton again after all these years.

Reactions: L0ckJaw

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I have tested g-data and found viper to be better. Now you are makin me want to test Norton again after all these years.
last I tried Vipre half of the dynamic features were broken or never seen.
I would rank Norton way higher than GData, I have never had any of these issues people mentioned during my period of Norton testing, could be different in an actual production enviroment.
also Vipre as a company gets thrown around like a foster child.

Reactions: ZeroDay and L0ckJaw
I

illumination

And so who was one of the first AV's , Norton, right ? they have unlimited funds , right? what I am gearing here is that they are now scum bags? as far as I know they make many other things besides an AV. Imaging software, remote connect software ect ect. Even though I was one of their first beta testers back in the 90's I would not down talk them for their AV solution alone. while beta testing their products, they always sent a shiny new box for free of their software and sometimes items like a shiny new letter opener.
Those of us that have found and seen the bugs present in Norton, have also seen them in just about every thing on the market. They all have issues of one sort or another. These "issues" can be quite severe, creating a larger attack surface. This is why they are discussed, and users pass on using these products.

I mentioned Norton being a big company and well funded, because there are some products that have very small companies, staff/developers, and manage to continually improve their products, Norton really has no excuse at this point.

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
Hi, gdata much too heavy on the system and no personal cloud I have norton on my machine and so far no infection I use pro hitman as second scanner and I can tell you that everything is ok:):):):):):):):)

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
[QUOTE = "ForgottenSeer 58943, post: 728165, membre: 58943"] Norton a des bugs .. Beaucoup de bugs.

La notification / détection retardée est ridicule. Par exemple, dans les tests, je le frapperais avec 3 morceaux de malware. Il montrerait un popup pour un, puis rien .. Environ 15 minutes plus tard un autre .. Encore 5 minutes, le troisième .. Sérieusement. Il a montré le même comportement sur Web Blocking, prenant parfois une demi-heure pour notifier.

Mais les bugs sont précieux .. Par exemple, il est bien connu que Norton au hasard ne s'enregistrera pas après l'installation. Des centaines de discussions à ce sujet et le support peut prendre jusqu'à 3 heures pour le résoudre en essayant une grande variété de correctifs. Ce bug remonte à une demi-décennie!

Ensuite, ajoutez aux retours sur les mises à jour régulières .. Norton a tellement de potentiel, mais ils semblent être juste paresseux .. Je courrais Norton en une seconde comme mon AV primaire si elle n'était pas si boguée (ou si je pouvais même l'enregistrer), et ils n'ont pas continué à faire des erreurs stupides. [/ QUOTE]
salut, des bugs ben pas pour moi alors tout est fonctionnel et je t'assure il remplit parfaitement bien SA MISSION:):):):):):):):)

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
Norton has bugs.. Lots of bugs.

Delayed notification/detection is ridiculous. For example in testing I would hit it with 3 pieces of malware. It would show a popup for one, then nothing.. About 15 minutes later another.. Another 5 minutes, the third one.. Seriously. It exhibited the same behavior on Web Blocking, sometimes taking a half hour to notify.

But the bugs are precious.. For example it is well known that randomly Norton simply won't register itself after installation. Hundreds of threads regarding this and support can take up to 3 hours to resolve it trying a wide variety of fixes. That bug goes back half a decade!

Then add to the consistent rollbacks on updates lately.. Norton has so much potential, but they seem to be just lazy.. I'd run Norton in a second as my primary AV if it wasn't so buggy (or if I could even register it), and they didn't keep making stupid mistakes.
Hi, bugs well not for me then everything is functional and I assure you it fulfills perfectly HIS MISSION:):):):)

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Hi, gdata much too heavy on the system and no personal cloud I have norton on my machine and so far no infection I use pro hitman as second scanner and I can tell you that everything is ok:):):):):):):):)
Heavy on System ? Then you haven't tested it ;)

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
[QUOTE = "L0ckJaw, post: 728362, membre: 70130"] Lourd sur le système? Alors vous ne l'avez pas testé ;)[/ QUOTE]
I've seen on videos it takes more ram than norton

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
Here is an example on my machine

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 324
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.