Advice Request Norton vs Avast (paid versions)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Avast or Norton?

• Norton Security

Votes: 63 63.6%
  • Avast Pro/Suite/Premier

Votes: 36 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My Norton suscription is about to run out and i was thinking if i should renew my Norton license for another year or if i should go for Avast Internet Security, as i find the firewall a must. I use to set up the firewalls to a maximum level so it notifies me about everything and let me choose.

What do you think?

Y

yigido

I do not like both but..if I were you. I pick up Norton for SONAR factor.
I do not want to pay for Avast to get same protection, if you will pay for Avast you will just get extra features, they are not core security components..use Avast free instead of paying it.

L

Lucent Warrior

You can not go wrong with Norton, its layers are pretty solid, and that is @ default settings. Im not a fan of Avast, and have seen here lately, it could use some work even if i was. Norton on the other hand, i tested for a long period in the Hub here, and can say, it is pretty solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For paid security stay with Norton Security. It's behaviour blocker, SONAR is powerful at preventing malicious or unwanted software actions.

As an Avast Premier user, Avast Free provides the same level of protection without the features.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Not a fan of Norton but that goes way back to when Norton was impossible to remove and messed up many a machine.It has obviously come a long way since then.
Norton does provide solid security.
If your looking for a free alternative Avast Free would be my choice.
I do like Avast IS however I am also a creature of habit and like to stick with what has served me well.
Since you seem to have not had a problem with Norton,and if your willing to pay for a new subscription,I would stick with Norton.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Any other software you'd recommend instead of Norton (or Avast)? Thanks for the replies so far

Hardware:

Intel i5 4th gen (laptop)
integrated graphic card
8GB RAM
Windows 10

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Kaspersky Internet Security 2017
ESET Smart Security(New version due out soon I would wait)
Emsisoft Internet Security

Then there is also other ways to go such as Windows 10 built in security(UAC,smartscreen,defender,Windows firewall) with some other programs such as Appguard and VoodooShield.

The best advice is to try some out and see what works best for you based on your level of experience and needs.

You can also look here Security Configuration Wizard
There are some staff configs as well as trusted member configs to give you some ideas of things you might want to try.
There are many different configs with many different layers of security.

If Norton has kept you infection free and causes you no performance problems I think I might stay with that.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For the two available above it's like you are choosing a complex and straightforward product based on preferences.

Norton - install and forget, overall cloud functionality based where does not rely very much on signatures ; SONAR actively detects suspicious threats accurately.

Avast - jam packed features that you can explore and tweak; their Safezone/Sandbox is helpful for any isolation operation.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Any other software you'd recommend instead of Norton (or Avast)? Thanks for the replies so far

Hardware:

Intel i5 4th gen (laptop)
integrated graphic card
8GB RAM
Windows 10
Q360 Total security is a very good option for free software, well it's better than a lot of paid software. But if you're going to pay I'd recommend Kaspersky Internet Security and perhaps Voodooshield.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I voted for avast (but free).
For free, yes i would recommend Avast as i do to my colleagues & friends. It is light on the system, have custom install & provides very good security if configured right. As for Norton paid, i wouldn't recommend it.
But if you are comparing paid, i'll say, no extra points in using avast paid IMO. Between the two, if you insist on buying only one of them, i would say Avast.

Off-topic, Generally for paid antivirus, i recommend Kaspersky or ESET. The best thing is trying out these programs yourself on your system so that you can make informed decision.
Even the things i said above are based on my experience on my system. So its all up to you.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
No reason to pay for avast.
If you want to go free route, then yes avast and others are equal.
If you want to go paid route: Norton does it job perfectly fine for day to day user. You can switch to other solutions but those will net you pretty much the same result give or take.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I agree with most of the people here. I used both product in the past, both are great, but my vote goes to Norton. It isn't the slow and low detection product it was many years ago. Now it's a very good suite to protect you. It's light, although I feel that the last versions are a bit more resource heavy than some months ago. The main reason why I would choose Norton is it's SONAR detection. It's better than Avast's zero day components I think.
Avast imo is not worth the money. You get a firewall and other not needed 'things that improve your detection' in the pro, so if you don't want to spend money on a security product, Avast free is a good choice. And if you want more than the free avast, you still can add other free products like a firewall or anti-exe.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thanks everybody for your kind and fast replies. Just to let you know, i decided to migrate to free software, at least for a while, see how my system takes this and afterwards, decide for Avast or Norton.

So far, i uninstalled Norton 2016 from my system. Windows broke after the installation and i had to restore it. I decided to give a clean Windows 10 re-install and install Avast Free Antivirus + TinyWall Free Firewall, which gives me a very nice and customizable protection layer. Will be probably adding Zemana AntiLogger Free if i feel it necessary. Still have my portable software (antimalware, antispyware, cleaners, and system optimizers).

By now, i noticed a clear system performance increase, less random lags, and even better internet speed.

Will keep you updated on how my system behaves. Thanks again.

siren05

Level 2
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Both are equally good. With Norton, you need little to no interaction. You can install and forget about it. Just make sure to add ondemand scanners like MBAM or hitman pro. You should be good

If im gonna install for myself, i would choose avast. If you are installing in a pc for someone who isnt tech savvy, i suggest norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.