App Review Norton vs Kaspersky Prevention and Detection Test (safe1st)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

safe1st,

Liked the test.

IMO both are good products & both did well.

Norton has PUP detection enabled by default. Kaspersky have PUP disabled by default. You have to enable it under additional protection or settings. Ondemand scanners detected PUP. So I guess Kaspersky would have detected those if PUP detection was enabled.

But it was a test at default settings & good.

I think will special request you to test Kaspersky Endpoint as I use KES & there are no test available. So If you accept my special request to test KES will PM you little details on install, settings, etc..

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
safe1st,

Liked the test.

IMO both are good products & both did well.

Norton has PUP detection enabled by default. Kaspersky have PUP disabled by default. You have to enable it under additional protection or settings. Ondemand scanners detected PUP. So I guess Kaspersky would have detected those if PUP detection was enabled.

But it was a test at default settings & good.

I think will special request you to test Kaspersky Endpoint as I use KES & there are no test available. So If you accept my special request to test KES will PM you little details on install, settings, etc..

Actually some people want me to use default settings.
But you said earlier on other detection test battle, I need to change to 'delete' (only that)

I think so, maybe Kaspersky would have detected those

D

Deleted member 2913

Actually some people want me to use default settings.
But you said earlier on other detection test battle, I need to change to 'delete' (only that)

I think so, maybe Kaspersky would have detected those
I too like default settings test.
And your test is correct.

I just mentioned about the PUP option for the info.

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Friend makes more tests with ESET, like seeing your tests, I use ESET and would like to see him doing tests with him :D

ESET Smart securiy vs Kaspersky Internet Security

ESET Smart Security vs. Norton

Reactions: mal1
D

Deleted member 2913

I think single AV test is good.

The v/s test is time consuming & also kind of repetitive test for the AVs i.e Norton v/s Kaspersky, Eset v/s Kaspersky, etc... So Kaspersky tested twice, etc..., etc...

He tests often so good to see many AVs tested.

Offcoz time to time v/s tests is good too. And he is doing that too.

And offcoz no probs with the request.

And offcoz no offense to anyone, just my 2 cents...

scoob95

Level 1
Verified
Feb 1, 2016
Kaspersky are failing in many test these days.I wonder that KIS have the largest nummber of components but still they fail

Here is my comparison between NS and KIS

UI : Tie
Features: KIS, it can be tweaked a lot compared to Norton
Responsiveness and System Impact: NS, Norton is very light while KIS uses the maximum amount of CPU and other resources , slows down other apps
Url/Link Protection and Anti Phishing : Tie
File Antivirus/Signature based detection rate: KIS
USB Drive Scanning : KIS
PUP Detection : NS
Firewall : NS ,Norton Firewall is the best in the market , i have never seen KIS firewall in action
Cloud based protection : NS ,
Zero day : Norton SONAR much ahead of KIS HIPS
Exploit/Vulnerability protection : NS
Boot time protection : At least at maximum settings NS offers better boot time protection than KIS
Malware action Rollback feature : Both has this feature but Norton's implementation is much much better
Privacy policy : NS

Norton X factor : Norton power Eraser , which is offered by NS sometimes

Thus NS quite ahead of KIS at present in 2016, till 2014 it was totally opposite

KIS loads up late (yes also in the latest ver. compared to other suites

I also don't know why System watcher module loads later than File Antivirus,Web Antivirus and blah blah blah . This module should start earlier just after application control and firewall (you can see which modules loads when in KIS UI's reports section) . I think signature based detection is not that important these days

D

Deleted member 2913

I have tried Norton Security & currently running KES (Kaspersky Endpoint) on Win 10 64 Home Edition

I find both good & kinda equal in quite a few aspects like GUI, signs, web protection, cleaning, etc...

NS loads quick i.e I can see the icon on the tray on reaching desktop but if I click NS tray icon it doesn't open & take few secs to appear.
KES loads little later i.e tray icon appears on reaching desktop little late but once it appears clicking on it KES appears instant. And though it appears little late on tray the services are already there as per taskmanager.
So kinda for me this aspect is also kinda tie.

Firewall - I find this aspect kinda same too. I have noticed Norton Firewall alerts for quite a url/intrusion, etc... blocks that other security products web protection blocks. So its kind of impression that FW blocks more. Offcoz it blocks stuffs & good FW & this was just my 2 cent.
Kaspersky FW I too have not seen alerts. Dont know how it works. Whatever little I could gather reading few things on Kaspersky FW is that something like Application Rules also applies to Firewall. Like if an application is under a restricted category, restrictions also applies to FW & other modules also helps FW & may be more but dont know much.
But Yes whatever visible I have noticed in FW functions, I could say Norton has little edge.

Zeroday protection for me kinda same for both. If I say Norton has little edge but that comes with FPs. And yes FPs for popular programs too. Kaspersky FPs are low. Mostly programs will be in low restricted & works fine. Offline protection Kaspersky is little better than Norton & I could agree online protection Norton is little better than Kaspersky.

For system response & boot, etc... both were same on my Win 10 64.

I am not an expert. Above are personal experience, at times I use to do tests for personal thingy, etc...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well, I could agree in some affirmations about KIS<>NS said in previous posts, but with others I do not agree at all... anyway this is not the best place to start a discussion :)

About FW of KIS... it seems its operation is not really understood here. It's not a classic FW of course, it is closely integrated with Application Control (HIPS). WhiteLisintg/KSN rules (also Trusting digitally signed applications, but You can disable) are used to permit traffic to trusted applications in general, and in Auto Mode (by Default), that's why You usually will not see many FW notifications.

Change KIS2016 to Interactive Mode, and place an application which uses network traffic in one of the restriction groups (different than Trusted) and You will see FW notifications. Also You can change general network Trusted group rules to get notifications. As it was said before, KIS can be tweaked to strengthen its default protection.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I didn't know Norton has Malware action Rollback feature.
Little detail plzz...

Behavioral Policy Enforcement (BPE) Signatures
Being able to evolve with the continually changing threat landscape is the essential part of our SONAR technology and our protection is expanded with the ability to target tomorrow’s threats as well. When a new family of threats is seen, such as a new rootkit, Trojan, FakeAV or other type of malware, we can now create new behavioral signatures in order to detect a new family of threats and release them without having to do code updates to the product. These are called SONAR Behavioral Policy Enforcement signatures. These signatures are fast to write, test, and deploy and they give SONAR the flexibility and adaptability to respond to certain classes of emerging threats with a very low false-positive rate. We have many SONAR BPE signatures targeting FakeAV misleading apps to specific malware threats and rootkits like Graybird, Tidserv, ZeroAccess and Gammima.

So how do the BPE Signatures work?

Let’s take a look at an application that gets executed.
  • It drops certain components in the windows temp directory
  • It adds a bunch of registry entries
  • It changes the hosts file
  • It doesn’t have a user interface
  • And it opens up communications on high ports
Any one of these behaviors alone may not be “bad”, but taken as a whole the behavioral profile is bad. Our STAR analyst creates a rule that says if we see this sequence of behaviors with executables with certain Insight Reputation characteristics, then we should stop the process from executing and roll-back the changes – SONAR has the ability to implement a virtual sandbox around the infected but legitimate application and by doing so can prevent the infected application from taking any malicious actions that might harm a user’s computer. This is quite a new paradigm in endpoint security protection by leveraging what the application does and how it behaves rather than what it looks like.
Automation Remediation of malicious files with sandboxing
Real-time behavioral protection engine monitors and sandboxes applications, process and events as they are happening instead of statically. System changes can be rolled-back to prevent the malicious activity from impacting the system.

STAR Malware Protection Technologies | Symantec

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
All I can say is that any computer I have seen over the years that had Norton on it and was infected was remedied by installing Kaspersky. Even when Norton could detect the infection it was not good at disinfection. It would say it was removing infections, but on reboot they were still there. IMO, and IME, I would never use Norton over Kaspersky, but that is just me. I would constantly be in a state of worry or lack of confidence if I had Norton in use. See how Norton does against rootkits.

"Sonar could not automatically remove all security risks. Go to Security History to resolve risks manually"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.