Advice Request Norton?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Guys, is norton a good anti virus to buy? I've heard good and bad parts about it, so I don't know. What do you guys think?(I use Kaspersky for now, but it is going to expire in like 20 days)

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Only one way to find out. Hopefully this extended trial is still working. The best would be to evaluate the product yourself.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
based on what I think it is good
Many anti-malware companies offer trials for their AV products. I agree with the other suggestions here, try Norton, and then a few other well reputed ones to compare with each other and your current Kaspersky AV. Devices and the ways that they are used vary considerably, what might work well for me on my devices and for the way that I use them may not work so well for you and your devices. In the end it comes down to what you think from how various products have behaved in the trial periods. The linked trial for Norton in this thread is for 90 days, which should be more than enough time to try it out thoroughly. During the coronavirus epidemic many AV providers have offered their products for extended free trial periods. if I was you I'd make the most of that.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Many anti-malware companies offer trials for their AV products. I agree with the other suggestions here, try Norton, and then a few other well reputed ones to compare with each other and your current Kaspersky AV. Devices and the ways that they are used vary considerably, what might work well for me on my devices and for the way that I use them may not work so well for you and your devices. In the end it comes down to what you think from how various products have behaved in the trial periods. The linked trial for Norton in this thread is for 90 days, which should be more than enough time to try it out thoroughly. During the coronavirus epidemic many AV providers have offered their products for extended free trial periods. if I was you I'd make the most of that.

Quite a few three month trials from well-regarded AV providers are mentioned in this section of MT.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Guys, is norton a good anti virus to buy?
Norton has a pretty good reputation protection. For example, when you have downloaded an application, if there are very few users who have previously used it, then Norton will notify you of this, which will serve as a good reminder to check the application on VirusTotal. Also, reputation protection will not allow little-known applications to the network, which will protect against possible data leaks. Only this all needs to be configured by setting the "Aggressive Protection" and "Ask me" options in the antivirus and firewall settings. In my opinion, this is the strongest side of Norton.

From the cons: the built-in system optimizer is completely useless and outdated, the firewall is inconvenient for managing large black lists of URLs and IPs, the VPN from reviews is not very good (I did not use it), there is no built-in secure browser for banking, it is not entirely clear who owns the technologies currently used in the product and how Norton will develop in the future.

In general, so far this is a good product with its pros and cons. You need to use the trial version, as the guys wrote above.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Norton has a pretty good reputation protection. For example, when you have downloaded an application, if there are very few users who have previously used it, then Norton will notify you of this, which will serve as a good reminder to check the application on VirusTotal. Also, reputation protection will not allow little-known applications to the network, which will protect against possible data leaks. Only this all needs to be configured by setting the "Aggressive Protection" and "Ask me" options in the antivirus and firewall settings. In my opinion, this is the strongest side of Norton.

From the cons: the built-in system optimizer is completely useless and outdated, the firewall is inconvenient for managing large black lists of URLs and IPs, the VPN from reviews is not very good (I did not use it), there is no built-in secure browser for banking, it is not entirely clear who owns the technologies currently used in the product and how Norton will develop in the future.

In general, so far this is a good product with its pros and cons. You need to use the trial version, as the guys wrote above.
what do you mean by it is not entirely clear who owns the technologies currently used in the product ?

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
what do you mean by it is not entirely clear who owns the technologies currently used in the product ?
It's a long story :) On August 9, 2019, Broadcom acquired the Norton business division, which releases Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). SEP and Norton share a common signature and reputation base. How they separated technology, developers, and patents is not at all clear. But, recently, Norton bought Avira and Bullguard, what will happen next, I do not know. )

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Guys, is norton a good anti virus to buy? I've heard good and bad parts about it, so I don't know. What do you guys think?(I use Kaspersky for now, but it is going to expire in like 20 days)
Yes it is good Antivirus software to use. You can find a few good deals, or use an extended trial for a better feel for the product.

There are Pro's and Con's for all Antivirus software, no product fits the bill for every user type.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
It's a long story :) On August 9, 2019, Broadcom acquired the Norton business division, which releases Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). SEP and Norton share a common signature and reputation base. How they separated technology, developers, and patents is not at all clear. But, recently, Norton bought Avira and Bullguard, what will happen next, I do not know. )
oof, now I am confused

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus
G

Guilhermesene

Hi :)

I found what you said interesting, I didn't know Norton worked like that. Would it be something like Kaspersky application control? Is there any other software in which I can make the same configuration based on "Application Control" similar or identical to Kaspersky? Would Norton be one of them?

Thanks for your help and tip @CyberDevil

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I found what you said interesting, I didn't know Norton worked like that. Would it be something like Kaspersky application control? Is there any other software in which I can make the same configuration based on "Application Control" similar or identical to Kaspersky? Would Norton be one of them?
Hi! :) Kaspersky mainly uses a digital signature to identify applications, and not reputation among users, as I noticed when I used it, although, as I remember from the help page, it downloads rules for specific applications from the cloud. It also allows you to make more detailed settings, for example, allow access to documents only for Microsoft programs or deny access to the browser folder to everything except the browser itself. I'm not sure if there are similar settings elsewhere. Perhaps something similar can be configured in Comodo or SpyShelter, but I have very limited experience with these products, it is also possible that something similar to application control will appear in a future version of WiseVector. Norton only prohibits the launch and / or access to the network for applications unknown of its cloud and nothing else, but I think that for those who do not like to configure antiviruses for a very long time, it will be more convenient. :) Of course, Norton also detects suspicious changes in the system on the basis of the cloud, but this happens completely automatically and is not configured in any way. )

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
there is no built-in secure browser for banking,
FWIW ~
Norton Safe Web feature: Online Banking Protection
Online banking threats (such as banking Trojans) can infect computers and mobile devices alike, and can be used to steal bank log-in credentials.
Norton customers have told us that they want extra peace of mind when they are performing financial transactions online, so we have added the Online Banking Protection feature in Norton Safe Web.
With Online Banking Protection, Norton Safe Web automatically detects when you visit a banking site, and then it launches the banking session in an isolated and protected mode.
https://us.norton.com/feature/safe-web

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.