Solved Not sure if I need help. A scammer accessed my computer.

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
I tried to get help on the Cannon website for my printer because my wifi was not recognizing it. . There was a chat feature on the cannon website and I used it. The person said they could hook the printer up for me and had me go to a website where they could take control of my computer. They got into my MSDOS looking for my IP information. They tried to say that there was not an open port because foreign people were accessing my computer. They said that I did not have a networking firewall. They downloaded a png of a network to show me. I became suspicious and ended the session. I immediately got in touch with the Geek Squad because I pay for that. They checked my computer and helped me with the printer. They said it was a scammer on the Cannon website. I was wondering if the png image that is still on my computer is a problem. The Geek squad tech did not think so. Could I still have a problem? I have come here before and gotten help. I am not trying to waste anyone's time since I do have the Geek Squad services. I just want to get rid of the file and knew if I just deleted it that would not be enough.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    39.3 KB · Views: 3
  • FRST.txt
    55.4 KB · Views: 1

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Your computer isn't infected. Scammers usually use scare tactics to fool you into paying them for nothing. They do not infect your computer.

Sharonp

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
Alright, thank you. I was not very smart letting them do that. I did not pay them anything.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.