Nova Launcher and Sesame Search have been acquired by Branch, an analytics company

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The popular home screen app for Android devices, Nova Launcher has been acquired by Branch Metrics, a company that specializes in analytics. Sesame Shortcuts, which supported integration with the launcher app, has also been acquired.

While this may be good for funding the development of both apps, there could be some downsides to it.

... what would an analytics company want with the app? TeslaCoil Software has promised that the core user experience including the user's privacy will remain the same, and any changes made to the app will be optional. You can't expect a company to just acquire an app's rights, and let it continue in its existing state, would you? What's the point of it, if they don't get anything out of it?

The Play Store listing for Nova Launcher says that it has had over 50 million downloads. Even if just 10% of those users are actively using it, I think it's safe to say that Nova Launcher boasts a very large user base. That means, Branch, could potentially benefit from this as well, right? This is virtually a gold mine for telemetry.

An announcement made on Nova's website sheds some more light about the acquisition.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There was a time when we considered NovaLauncher as an option to customize Android's home UI. At the time, Android versions were 3 and 4. I ended up buying a creative launcher called Lightning.

I remember having to give important authority to the launcher. I'm a little worried about the acquisition.
.....Currently, I am using Microsoft's launcher.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I think this situation is similar to security software. We don't actually know what any security software is tracking and sharing, we just trust they are not doing anything nasty with our data. We have no idea what Nova transmits now and how they profit from the free version. As far as we know, the new owner doesn't have to change anything to profit from it.

Last edited:

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
I'm now using Smart Launcher 6 paid version. Really nice alternative to Nova. Very configurable.

Reactions: show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.