NoVirusThanks OSArmor

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Please share in your configuration thread. I am very interested to know what you have going on. Always intrigued to learn more.

Not to derail the thread, so just to answer this. I will share it. I'm switching to zone based security away from so many policies. When zoning, the perspective of the actual components, users, and threats dictates a given device’s zoning requirements and what zone those devices are placed in. Theoretically perspective actually defines the security posture.

Network zoning is a traditional method, used for decades which went by the wayside in favor of policy based and VLAN networking. I'm bringing Zoning back because it has many advantages and has decades of proven track record. VLAN tagging means that data is still over the same wire (and yes, they can be intruded upon under some conditions), just that the tag is ignored or recognized if it is needed. Zoning means it's isolated at the physical hardware level and bundled up behind security necessary for each zone. This is a 'trust barrier' ensuring I can move devices in and out of various zones as needed depending on their threat surface. An attacker coming in on an untrusted (DMZ) zone would have no facilities to attack. An attacker coming in on a semi-untrusted zone such as WAN1 might have slightly more attack vectors, but largely be limited to non-user space firewall/UTM, and specific ports/protocols permitted in that zone. Someone in the green zone may have unfettered access to the network, but that will likely be a hardened system running something like Secured Debian.

You get the idea.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Note that my Living Room PC is a Chromebook - used for a couple of years and quite pleased. (Posting from mt Win 7/64 box.)

@ForgottenSeer 58943 - two ?s

1 - Are you not the person who was going to go with a bunch of Chromebooks? How happy are you with them.
2 - Can you summarize the spying settings? I want to be sure I have my bases covered.

For those unfamiliar with Chromebooks, the OS is under continuing development and the built in Chrome based browser is thus also changing periodically. Which does make it a bit difficult to keep up with.

The basics.. Elect NOT to help with development/telemetry is a huge checkbox to uncheck. Normal settings in Chrome for privacy (flags, regular sliders, etc). uBlock works nicely. VPN wise, PIA's Chrome Extension based VPN is quite good. Some stickers over the camera, just in case. If you can jim into the bios, turn a bunch of stuff off there at the hardware level. The usual stuff really. But you can make ChromeBooks as quiet as a butterfly, which is way harder to do on Windows 10. Not to mention Chromebooks are actually a fairly hardened operating system at the get go and is so regularly updated that to develop a targeted attack might be nearly impossible (or exceedingly hard). The threat surface on a CB without android apps on it is MINUSCULE.

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
Thanks. Sorry for the OT - after this back to beta on NVT OSA.

Not sure how to get into the BIOS :) [I helped start some of the Big Dummies stuff.]

WRT the OS security. Fer sure. And yes very quiet indeed. Each evening (for ~ 2 years) I have used it and have 5 - 10 windows open most of the time and I "surf" probably 200 sites a night. I do have some Privacy extensions and net-net have ~ Zero tracking by anything. Not once have I seen (felt, etc) anything mischievious Security wise.

Final question - Do you set anything down in the flags/experimental area?

Thanks again - back to OSA

Reactions: AtlBo

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
Here is a new v1.4 (pre-release) (test37):
http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/osarmor_setup_1.4_test37.exe

*** Please do not share the download link, we will delete it when we'll release the official v1.4 ***

So far this is what's new compared to the previous pre-release:

+ Improved detection of suspicious folders
+ Improved detection of suspicious command-lines
+ Improved detection of PowerShell encoded commands
+ Improved OSArmor self defense (basic)
+ Exclude "-a" execution for "Block execution of Shutdown.exe"
+ Improved detection of PsTools from Sysinternals
+ Improved detection of Nirsoft programs
+ Prevent regedit.exe from silently loading .reg scripts
+ Fixed "When uninstalled it disables: Block execution of cmd.exe\powershell.exe"
+ Fixed detection of SoftMaker Office 2012 *** Big thanks to @Andy Ful
+ Block execution of tskill.exe
+ Fixed some false positives

To install it, first uninstall the previous build, then reboot (not really needed but may help), and install the new build.

@silversurfer

That's a strange issue, is it happening also with Configurator of this new build 37?

Also is the OS 32 or 64-bit?

@annaegorov

Not yet, we'll add auto-update option in the next version (v1.5 probably).

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Here is a new v1.4 (pre-release) (test37):
http://downloads.novirusthanks.org/files/osarmor_setup_1.4_test37.exe

*** Please do not share the download link, we will delete it when we'll release the official v1.4 ***

So far this is what's new compared to the previous pre-release:

+ Improved detection of suspicious folders
+ Improved detection of suspicious command-lines
+ Improved detection of PowerShell encoded commands
+ Improved OSArmor self defense (basic)
+ Exclude "-a" execution for "Block execution of Shutdown.exe"
+ Improved detection of PsTools from Sysinternals
+ Improved detection of Nirsoft programs
+ Prevent regedit.exe from silently loading .reg scripts
+ Fixed "When uninstalled it disables: Block execution of cmd.exe\powershell.exe"
+ Fixed detection of SoftMaker Office 2012 *** Big thanks to @Andy Ful
+ Block execution of tskill.exe
+ Fixed some false positives

To install it, first uninstall the previous build, then reboot (not really needed but may help), and install the new build.

@silversurfer

That's a strange issue, is it happening also with Configurator of this new build 37?

Also is the OS 32 or 64-bit?

@annaegorov

Not yet, we'll add auto-update option in the next version (v1.5 probably).

OSArmor doesn't work with Fortnite and the 'exclude' feature that pops up doesn't fix it.

Epic Games' Fortnite

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
It worked as I wanted, because I feel that eset Hips has become soft or I do not learn to handle it perfectly. I think NVTOsArmour has an anti-money filter, and some great rules.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
test37 on win10
I had OSA running happily with windows defender and appguard.
Then I installed ERP.
Issue: sometimes OSA starts disabled. I try to enable it, but it stays disabled. When I reboot, Windows thinks there is another user logged in, even though there isn't. If I do a reboot anyways, and sign into that same user account again, usually OSA is working normally. But if I sign into a different user account, the issue comes back.

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
I gave OSarmor a try, it's really nice, lightweight and valuable addition to any sort of security setup. But today I had to run a software (taxation related) which was developed by the company where I work, I was supposed to run it from the pendrive in which it was given. Now OSarmor was blocking it as file execution from pen drive isn't allowed in it's policy. So I think it really needs an exclusion list, otherwise turning that feature on and off repeatedly isn't a pleasant experience. Otherwise really great software.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I gave OSarmor a try, it's really nice, lightweight and valuable addition to any sort of security setup. But today I had to run a software (taxation related) which was developed by the company where I work, I was supposed to run it from the pendrive in which it was given. Now OSarmor was blocking it as file execution from pen drive isn't allowed in it's policy. So I think it really needs an exclusion list, otherwise turning that feature on and off repeatedly isn't a pleasant experience. Otherwise really great software.
So if you need to run programs regularly from pen drive, then go into advanced settings, and untick the option that blocks execution from usb. It is the very last entry in the first section of the advanced tab.
If you already have it unticked, and you are still getting a block, try clicking on the prompt to add an exception for that program. And also, report the false positive to the dev, and he will probably fix it in the next version...

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
So if you need to run programs regularly from pen drive, then go into advanced settings, and untick the option that blocks execution from usb. It is the very last entry in the first section of the advanced tab.
If you already have it unticked, and you are still getting a block, try clicking on the prompt to add an exception for that program. And also, report the false positive to the dev, and he will probably fix it in the next version...
Thanks, will do it. However is there an option for exclusion in the prompt? didn't notice it. Will do it.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Look carefully in the prompt, you will see it. The letters are too light, it is hard to read the options, but they are there.
Unchecking the option to "prevent autorun.inf from running" allowed the execution, however I didn't notice any exclusion option in the notification. And the blocked process wasn't showing up in the UI while same was reflected in the log. Attaching two screenshots of the occurings.
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Unchecking the option to "prevent autorun.inf from running" allowed the execution, however I didn't notice any exclusion option in the notification. And the blocked process wasn't showing up in the UI while same was reflected in the log. Attaching two screenshots of the occurings.View attachment 181179 View attachment 181185
Glad you figured out which rule was giving you trouble. I didn't think of that one.

Yeah, there are certain rules that don't let you make exceptions, and I guess this is one of them.
If you made a rule to block cmd, or limit powershell, etc etc, or if OSA thinks it is a suspicious process, then you can make an exception. But with rules like this, there is no specific command line that you can make an exception for, so it is just a matter of on or off.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Because the number of blocks tends to be low, maybe it would be helpful if there were some kind of session permanent notification icon....like the VoodooShield badge. If it's a shield, the shield appears with a "1" in the middle when the first block of a session occurs indicating how many blocks there have been . Anything that speeds up exlcusion creation would be great. Also, afk could mean missing some kind of malware attack attempt without some kind of permanent notification...

Last edited:

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Unchecking the option to "prevent autorun.inf from running" allowed the execution, however I didn't notice any exclusion option in the notification. And the blocked process wasn't showing up in the UI while same was reflected in the log. Attaching two screenshots of the occurings.View attachment 181179 View attachment 181185
Why are you using v1.3 the latest is v1.4_test37 it has more features including exclusion in the prompts;)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Because the number of blocks tends to be low, maybe it would be helpful if there were some kind of session permanent notification icon....like the VoodooShield badge. If it's a shield, the shield appears with a "1" in the middle when the first block of a session occurs indicating how many blocks there have been . Anything that speeds up exlcusion creation would be great. Also, afk could mean missing some kind of malware attack attempt without some kind of permanent notification...

Speaking of VS.. I installed the latest version to test and it broke almost everything on my test machine and false positives rang out everywhere. That was after whitelisting and enhanced whitelisting and in autopilot mode! I downloaded the good ole' 3.59, and immediately when it executed forced an upgrade to the latest one which was causing all of the issues. Uninstalled, back to OSArmor.

Anyway, the first thing myself, and probably most people that used VS do is to turn off that always on top icon, right?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.