Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
His creation, he absolutely has the right to start charging for it if he chooses, if people are too cheap to purchase thats their problem. How many of you would work for free?
Of course, every developer can doing what he likes the most, the point isn't to pay for software, the point is that he haven't said anything about OSA for long time almost two years! I have no problem to purchase any software but in this case isn't worth at least to me...

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Of course, every developer can doing what he likes the most, the point isn't to pay for software, the point is that he haven't said anything about OSA for long time almost two years! I have no problem to purchase any software but in this case isn't worth at least to me...
Yup, and you have a right to choose not to use a software for any reason, just not a reason I would choose if said software was effective.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
@Digmor Crusher

Money is not the issue here. I always buy what I consider worth buying and I donate to freeware developers if I use their apps and I find them useful.
As @upnorth & @silversurfer mentioned, there is the issue of trust. After donating to NVT for using his tools and seeing him disappear for a year or more, how can I be convinced to buy a subscription? How would you feel if you bought a subscription and then see no development (or even news from the developer) for a long period of time because he gave priority to some enterprise cloud solution for example? As I've said before, I've seen open source developers with more activity and feedback to users than NVT.

The way I see it, OSA was just a way to make all of us guinea pigs for testing security methods that would be used in an enterprise solution. When the application reached a level of being stable and bug free, NVT vanished without a trace.

Thanks but no thanks..

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

That's really the key in all of this.

I don't think anyone here including myself have any issues paying for something like OSA, that's not the issue. The issue is, going awol randomly and for a very long time. To be clear, this isn't the first time it has happened either. Again, I do agree that he has every right to charge for his work. After all it's a really good pieces of software, but he needs to learn to be present. I think all of us can appreciate that when giving out a piece of software such as OSA for free, there might be some bumps in the road, as well as slower periods. However, there's a very big difference between a month, or so without anything, to going 2 years with out a peep about anything. Even a simple post to say "hey I'm still here and so on" would suffice.

All in all I really do which him all the best, I really do, but if you are going to start charging, you CANNOT go awol like this anymore.

I completely understand he has to make a living.
But don't forget these are niche tools, they can add a layer to your protection.
I can get Kaspersky Internet Security (1 YEAR / 1 DEVICE) for €11,57.
How much would be okay for OSArmor?
You bring up a good point.

The pricing has to be worth it, because like you said, it's a very niche product, so it won't get the same traction like the big names do. Kaspersky is a good example, excellent software, what can OSA add on top of it?? Nothing really, because Kaspersky does just fine without it. I would argue most major suites will be very similar in this regard. Where it could be of benefit is when using it along side say...WD, but even then you have configure defender and H_C for free. Heck you can even throw VS free in there too.

Again I am by no means saying he should't charge for it, I really think he deserves to get paid for his hard work. However, like I've said above, this business of going Awol for extremly long periods of time needs to stop if he is going to charge for a product. People will be a little forgiving when it's free, not so much when you are going to charge them for it.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
So everyone agrees it is a superb piece of software. Some argue its worth paying for , some not, either its a part of your protection or not , what do any other softs have to do with it? VS, HC, blah blah blah. Who cares if the developer has been away for awhile, 99 % of users here are not developers so they have no clue what or why that is . For me the most important aspect is how effective the program is, not if the developer has been on vacation.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
So everyone agrees it is a superb piece of software. Some argue its worth paying for , some not, either its a part of your protection or not , what do any other softs have to do with it? VS, HC, blah blah blah. Who cares if the developer has been away for awhile, 99 % of users here are not developers so they have no clue what or why that is . For me the most important aspect is how effective the program is, not if the developer has been on vacation.
I wish I could go on vacation for two years. That would be awesome..

p.s. I would also like to see how awesome and effective this software would be on Windows 10 version 4004 after not having an update for another couple of years.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
So are you saying that because OSarmor hasn't been updated for awhile that its not effective? Firstly, it hasn't been 2 years, secondly. if you have been a member here for awhile you would know that Osamour is highly regarded here. Third, there is no Windows 4004. Finally, unlike yourself developers do not go on vacation for 2 years,

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
So are you saying that because OSarmor hasn't been updated for awhile that its not effective? Firstly, it hasn't been 2 years, secondly. if you have been a member here for awhile you would know that Osamour is highly regarded here. Third, there is no Windows 4004. Finally, unlike yourself developers do not go on vacation for 2 years,

Let's try again because I need to explain it in simpler English it seems..

not having an update for another couple of years = future tense
Windows 4004 = future version of Windows 10

I have been a member for a while and I remember the Windows 10 1809 incompatibility issues with OSA, do you?
With the lightning fast pace of Windows 10 development, this application will not work properly if it is not updated regularly. So far it has not.

You can do as you please and support whichever developer you want but I will not support uncertainty to a software that installs a driver on my system and has hooks on it that would cause me issues due to non-continuous development.

Respectfully, this is end of discussion for me and I'm leaving the thread, I don't enjoy arguing over a piece of software, I have more important things to do with my life.

p.s. Highly regarded to some, not so much to many others for a few reasons as you will read in this thread.

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The way I see it, OSA was just a way to make all of us guinea pigs for testing security methods that would be used in an enterprise solution.
Probably.

And similarly, the knowledge / assets gained via APIVoid may well be integrated into OSA or other NVT tools?

As far as I know, OSA (and other NVT softs) worked fine in his absence, so it didn't really bother me. Though there was the uncertainty if he would return, that these softs would ever be supported or developed again.

I am assuming the sub based model will ensure that. I do trust him in that regard, based on past interactions here and Wilders.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
For me the most important aspect is how effective the program is, not if the developer has been on vacation.
Fully agree...see Tony and Shadow Defender case or when we are using obsolete from years software - my example are Keriver 1-Click and much older Kerio firewall. IMHO if you have good, solid and effective tool is not needed to change it.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

The way I see it, is people want comfort knowing that the developer is there and still working the the project, as well as being present for issues, answer questions, etc... If you look back even a page, or two on this very thread you can already see people questioning where he is, some even trying to ask questions about the program, but he hasn't responded at all. So naturally, people start to get worried. People worry because, if he's no longer developing this, what happens when it does stop working after a windows update, or someone finds a major bug? OSA has broken in the past after a major W10 update (so have other programs), so it's not impossible.

Being a developer, or not has nothing to do with it. I think the vast majority of people here including myself understand that there are a lot of pressures that sometimes takes away from working on projects like this. We all have pressures in our work/personal life regardless of profession. However having a career and running your own business (as is the case here), people expect you to atleast communicate whats going on if you cannot work on something for a while. At the end of the day all this is about, is communication. It's not that he doesn't have other pressures/priorities, it's not that he shouldn't charge for a program, etc.... All people want if for him to take time (as hard as it may be sometimes), even if it's just once every week, or so to come out and answer questions and even say things like hey, I'm still here, Im really busy at the moment, so OSA, etc... will be on the back burner for a while.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If Dan from VoodooShield suddenly took off for 1 1/2 years, no word, no channels of communication but the software "works fine," maybe some folks would be singing a different tune. Thing is, if part of your core software suddenly stagnates, you can't help but wonder and maybe start asking questions. Like Raiden and Gangelo already said: we users simply want to be kept in the loop.

But the matter is esoteric. We have information now, so let's drop it. I know I will.

Edit: the developer of LMT AntiLogger just announced he's stopping his development of this software. This is what I'm talking about.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

But the matter is esoteric. We have information now, so let's drop it. I know I will.

Edit: the developer of LMT AntiLogger just announced he's stopping his development of this software. This is what I'm talking about.

Agreed.

No need to keep dragging this on. He posted whats going on, so no need to keep going on and in about it. All I want to stress though going forward, is for him to keep the communication going. Even if its to say hey, I have to take break from this project for a while.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reply wasn't detailed enough, does this mean SysHardener will get updated but remain as freeware?

Buddel#2915 said:
Now that OSA will be subscription-based (whatever that exactly means), it is to be hoped that this brilliant app will be updated more frequently and on a regular basis.
What about SysHardener? Will there also be a new version soon?

novirusthanks#2919 said:
Mostly all our programs will get updated soon, SysHardener included.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Due to its popularity, I understand this choice NVT has made. Also, it would be a bit hypocrite of us to ditch the software just because it's suscription-based now, since we all mostly loved it, apart from helping developments of similar NVT software.

Aforementioned too, I'd keep an eye on the final price, after all, it's a hardening tool, not an antivirus or suite, so if the price is reasonable I see no excuse not to buy it. I bought Binisoft's WFC back in the day, for $5 (lifetime), I also bought StarIsBack for $5 (lifetime) for good looking taskbar. I wouldn't mind paying for a security tool, of course unless it's as expensive as an antivirus, then I'd probably switch to another tool.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@NoVirusThanks
If it is a reasonably priced monthly subscription, that's fair, and if development is not up to expectations, people can just cancel and move on.
But not sure how many people would risk a long-term subscription at this point.
Also, please consider a free tier with limited features and more basic protection.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
shmu26: At Wilders, he said this would be a yearly subscription. And nothing else. But maybe now he'd consider monthly? I'd rather pay yearly myself but maybe someone else would pay a fee monthly.

The changelog for it sounds good, it makes it feel more modern. I wonder if there will be a trial period for the new/paid version. Even 15 days would be welcome.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
shmu26: At Wilders, he said this would be a yearly subscription. And nothing else. But maybe now he'd consider monthly? I'd rather pay yearly myself but maybe someone else would pay a fee monthly.

The changelog for it sounds good, it makes it feel more modern. I wonder if there will be a trial period for the new/paid version. Even 15 days would be welcome.
Agreed that yearly is usually a better deal, but since development of NVT has been sporadic...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.