NSG001's Configuration

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
I dont like the idea of Reatime AVs as well. Comodo AV aint that good and is kind of slowing my pc respsonse.

Is it ok to run Comodo Firewall plus Defense+ along with Hitman Pro as an on demand scanner and Comodo Dragon woth ABP by fanboy, script no, https everywhere and WOT?

my sytem is very light with these! But are they adequate?

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Nikos said:
I dont like the idea of Reatime AVs as well. Comodo AV aint that good and is kind of slowing my pc respsonse.

Is it ok to run Comodo Firewall plus Defense+ along with Hitman Pro as an on demand scanner and Comodo Dragon woth ABP by fanboy, script no, https everywhere and WOT?

my sytem is very light with these! But are they adequate?

Hi Nikos.
Seems fine.
I am currently using CIS with AV as the suite is extremely light.
But FW/D+ and Comodo's Sandbox should certainly keep nasties at bay :)
Your choice!

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
Comodo Firewall has built in Sandbox?

Also Comodo AV will do somethign more if i install it?

D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
Comodo Firewall has built in Sandbox?

CFW was the first one with KIS to introduce a sandbox, then avast follows.

CIS/CFW/CAV have 2 sandboxes:

one automatic that use policies to reduce the rights of the processes/executables running it it
one manual, working like Sandboxie, that virtualize the processes/executables running in it.

those sandbox are built-in CIS/CFW/CAV and part of Defense+ (Comodo's HIPS)

when you run CIS' installer, you will have the choice to install the full suite or just the AV or just the Firewall, and also Comodo Dragon (comodo's browser based on chromium) andd Geekbuddy (a kind of comodo's community help apps). finally you can select to use Comodo Secure DNS (for blocking your access to malicious website)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Nikos said:
Comodo AV aint that good

How did you come to this conclusion? Comodo is a very good av in my experience and always does very well in reviews

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Nikos said:

It gives you another layer of protection, with no real increase in memory size.
An av alone will not protect you totally, so you may as well use the full suite.

Nikos

Jul 19, 2012
In pcmag's of comodo AV reviews it said it wasnt that good since it missed things.

But i was wondering isnt CFW along with Fefense+ good enough? Comodo aV somwhow slow downed my pc since it scan everty file when opening.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Nikos said:
In pcmag's of comodo AV reviews it said it wasnt that good since it missed things.

But i was wondering isnt CFW along with Fefense+ good enough? Comodo aV somwhow slow downed my pc since it scan everty file when opening.
Yes, dependent on your computer and surfing habits :)
If you want an AV You could always use a compatible AV alongside Comodo Firewall:
Panda Cloud or Avira or Kingsoft.
If you want another lightweight suite you could try out:
Roboscan Internet Security

Please can you open your own topic for this.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Added (again) EAM 6.6 (just file guard no bb or surf protection)
And now using Comodo Lite D+ and Firewall.

P

Plexx

NSG001 said:
Added (again) EAM 6.6 (just file guard no bb or surf protection)
And now using Comodo Lite D+ and Firewall.

Didn't think you would use Comodo Lite.

You did read some of the points on both ends right?

I am still a bit skeptical about that approach.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Re: Comodo Lite (sounds like a beer)
I have been testing this without av for a few days now and feel quite comfortable :)
The only database file i have is MY trusted file list.

Quote: vix123 https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/comodo-lite-just-firewall-and-defense-t74633.0.html;msg532444#msg532444
So what we are left with? An excellent firewall with the greatest self-protection out there and Defense+, a powerful (although a little outdated) host intrusion prevention system.

Added EAM as a bonus got about 5 months left on my license and for additional peace of mind.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Comodo D+ outdated? How?

P

Plexx

I am still trying to figure it out that approach. It does remove some components. The trusted list for example is removed if I understand it correctly.

EAM on its own is good but the RAM spikes during the updates "destroy" my FPS and what not.

Might look into that and see if I can incorporate ESET, although I can imagine RAM usage going slightly higher...

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Earth said:
Comodo D+ outdated? How?
That was the quote from the guy who modded it initially (vix123)
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/comodo-lite-just-firewall-and-defense-t74633.0.html;msg532444#msg532444

Personally i feel it's very solid :cool:

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Biozfear said:
I am still trying to figure it out that approach. It does remove some components. The trusted list for example is removed if I understand it correctly.

EAM on its own is good but the RAM spikes during the updates "destroy" my FPS and what not.

Might look into that and see if I can incorporate ESET, although I can imagine RAM usage going slightly higher...

TVL is removed as is everything database wise.
I just imported my backup copy of my own trusted file list.
Using Chiron's config i have to trust everything.
Giving me the user full control.
I would never recommend this to just anyone to use, because it would generate lots of pop ups.

Good luck with all your testing, always look forward to your reviews.
Onwards and Upwards :D

P

Plexx

NSG001 said:
Biozfear said:

TVL is removed as is everything database wise.
I just imported my backup copy of my own trusted file list.
Using Chiron's config i have to trust everything.
Giving me the user full control.
I would never recommend this to just anyone to use, because it would generate lots of pop ups.

Good luck with all your testing, always look forward to your reviews.
Onwards and Upwards :D

Yeah Chiron's guide can create some popups but still solid as proven in my last video.

Let's hope Nikos doesn't decide to go Comodo Lite, otherwise you will have a lot of work to do!

I am going to test run and optimize ESET to run along CFW and D+ since I highly doubt I can have solely D+....

Might do a video if I am successful during the tests.

As for video reviews, next lot will be up in a few days. Taking the night off for a change :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Because there is no Trusted Vendor list you have to allow or block everything.
Fortunately i don't install lots of software :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Removed:

Sandboxie.
K9 Web protection.
MVPS HOSTS.

no real reason just shedding some layers.

UPdated to latest Dragon browser 21.1

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Settled security for some while.
All machines running Windows 7 64 bit.

Everyday Laptop: CIS 6.1 modified with other tweaks -- k9 web filter
Office Desktop: Emsisoft Internet Security (3 year license) --
Family Laptop: NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro (lockdown) -- Windows Firewall -- k9 web filter -- NO realtime AV
Son's Desktop: Avira Internet Security (web filter disabled) -- k9 web filter
Browsers: Comodo Dragon using Comodo DNS

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are they all running with administrative privileges?

If so, recommended to password protect the security applications to prevent accidental uninstallations, or settings from being modified.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.