Firefox and Google Chrome with HitmanPro.Alert and WOT
Maintenance tools
CCleaner and Glary Utilities 5

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
UAC is an important part of the Windows security model, you really shouldn't disable it. The impact is quite big.
I understand but i replace it with a better HIPs and it also saves ram.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The guy who was installing it he didn't put a password in the installer and UAC in Windows 7 is not like the one from Windows 10
Do you mean you have a custom version of Windows 7, or when the PC was set-up no password was entered during your account creation?

Difference between Windows 7 UAC and Windows 10 UAC, that's new to me, could you explain?

Reactions: upnorth
H

hjlbx

During installation of Windows 7 Pro, the installer will prompt user to set up a password.

User does not have to set up password.

If its a licensed copy of Windows 7 Pro, the master Windows password has nothing to do with enabling or disabling UAC.

On @nsm0220 's install of W7 Pro, my guess is that UAC has been disabled by a registry hack or group policy (secpol.msc).

Also, he can easily use the command prompt with net user and set up a Windows password easily.

He can easily re-enable UAC - but obviously he doesn't want it enabled.

There's a beat-around-the-bush going on here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I agree with hjlbx. as there is no "official" release of Windows 7 that comes without UAC, the way he is wording this it sounds like to me that UAC was removed or uninstalled somehow and not deactivated, Microsoft would not do this nor condone this, if they caught wind of they might even deactivate his key seeing that would be against user agreement (policy) I would guess.

H

hjlbx

I agree with hjlbx. as there is no "official" release of Windows 7 that comes without UAC, the way he is wording this it sounds like to me that UAC was removed or uninstalled somehow and not deactivated, Microsoft would not do this nor condone this, if they caught wind of they might even deactivate his key seeing that would be against user agreement (policy) I would guess.

Well, its not out of the realm of possibility that there is a utility out there somewhere that enables a highly modified custom install of Windows by altering the M$ *.msi(s) or some other means to modify Windows installation.

However, I think the case here is much more simple...

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
As for disabling UAC, it depends on what the PC is used for, Microsoft doesn't have any say besides that they can restrict certain programs from working if it is disabled.
Besides that, developers working with special server code do prefer it disabled since it tends to create conflicts and adds to many prompts, nothing wrong in that if the company uses proper security appliance hardware and managed endpoint protection.
A major problem is when those same developers test client code as local administrators and got UAC disabled.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
During installation of Windows 7 Pro, the installer will prompt user to set up a password.

User does not have to set up password.

If its a licensed copy of Windows 7 Pro, the master Windows password has nothing to do with enabling or disabling UAC.

On @nsm0220 's install of W7 Pro, my guess is that UAC has been disabled by a registry hack or group policy (secpol.msc).

Also, he can easily use the command prompt with net user and set up a Windows password easily.

He can easily re-enable UAC - but obviously he doesn't want it enabled.

There's a beat-around-the-bush going on here...
UAC was disabled in the control panel under system i believe and it was the guys dvd that install it: i have buy a key before he came and built it.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
UAC was disabled in the control panel under system i believe and it was the guys dvd that install it: i have buy a key before he came and built it.
Could be the black edition which is a third party modded/tweaked version of Windows 7, goal with it was to make it perform better for gamers and alike.
He might also have used a tool for stripping, modding and tweaking the iso instead.
I played a bit around with that stuff but never found it having any advantage over editing a little on a full live version.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
It's @nsm0220 's right to not enable UAC if he so chooses.

The problem that MT Staff members are concerned about is when a n00b tries to copy someone's config - with UAC dis-abled.
Don't worry i put a disclaimer on the 1st topic.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
No way i let anyone install Windows for me , not even the computer vendor ! and if it is already installed, i format and do a clean install right away.
This guy was from a tech place that builds and repair pcs, he even try to save that hard drive with nto32.exe or something like that error i got a few years back and got to my data out of there.Installing the windows was part of building the pc which once he was, my heads where full and i put a lot of data into this pc already so format isn't need here its something called windows old that fixes it.one more i like to add they are licensed in the state i live.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

This guy was from a tech place that builds and repair pcs, he even try to save that hard drive with nto32.exe or something like that error i got a few years back and got to my data out of there.Installing the windows was part of building the pc which once he was, my heads where full and i put a lot of data into this pc already so format isn't need here its something called windows old that fixes it.one more i like to add they are licensed in the state i live.
yes windows.old is a folder containing all the files of your previous windows system. You have it when you do an upgrade of the OS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Then why you said formatting my PC.
I think what @Umbra meant was the HE would personally format his PC when buying new.

The C:\Windows.old folder appears after a Windows Upgrade has been performed.
  • Windows Vista to Windows 7
  • Windows 7 to Windows 8
  • Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
  • Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10
Didn't you use to run Windows Vista, if I am not mistaken?

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
I think what @Umbra meant was the HE would personally format his PC when buying new.

The C:\Windows.old folder appears after a Windows Upgrade has been performed.
  • Windows Vista to Windows 7
  • Windows 7 to Windows 8
  • Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
  • Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10
Didn't you use to run Windows Vista, if I am not mistaken?
Yes i used be with it, i know that its just i was pointing out that most users won't want to format their hard drives that easily.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What made you decide to upgrade to Windows 7, instead of 8.1 or 10? (You are still eligible for Windows 10 Upgrade).

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Could be the black edition which is a third party modded/tweaked version of Windows 7, goal with it was to make it perform better for gamers and alike.
He might also have used a tool for stripping, modding and tweaking the iso instead.
I played a bit around with that stuff but never found it having any advantage over editing a little on a full live version.
Not really just the black edition. Nearly 80% of valid tweaked versions from a specific forum I will not name have that tweak where uac is disabled by default. In turn other tweaks are made. The actual windows isos are either trial or need a valid key. Such versions were shipped and also seeded across torrent sites etc as legitimate isos with tweaks done.

Either way the user does not wish to enable uac based on comments which is fine. I would only suggest to add a disclaimer at the config post so whoever reads it will understand

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.