Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
1.8.1414 – released September 24, 2020
  • FIX: NCSI setting upgraded to critical, as it can lead to problems under Windows 10 2004
  • Available in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Chinese (simplified)
Changelog:
Download:

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hi, maybe it is a stupid question, but if you use one these programs to "Shut Windows Up" can you then still recieve updates etc. :unsure:
I have just downloaded this particular program and it seems like a lot just to do the recomended settings.
what do you do, do you use this program/or others.
And what does Microsoft do when you apply all these settings,please help?.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
can you then still recieve updates etc.
And what does Microsoft do when you apply all these settings
You can still receive updates, but be aware that by using these anti-telemetry tools you're changing settings that Microsoft likely doesn't assume you'll mess with, and don't account for when pushing Windows updates, so it has the potential to lead to stability/functionality issues down the line.
Also some of the settings that ShutUp10 deals with have a habit of reverting back to their default state after Windows updates, so if you're that fussy about keeping these settings as you set them, you'll want to run ShutUp10 after every Patch Tuesday just to make sure they haven't reverted.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
On a personal basis I've never had issues with O&O Shut-Up, they are a reputable German company - I have had issues with other similar utilities WPD for example, I've tried most & now just use O&O, you can certainly go to far with telemetry blocking & cause issues.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It's one of safest of these tools out there.
It suggests to make a restore point before changing any settings.
I would suggest you apply the recommended settings only and go from there.
I use it with the recommended settings, but changed for example the settings for Edge back to default because I didn't like to see "managed by your organization" in Edge. I had no problems with updates caused by this tool and like @Arequire said you have to recheck your settings after an update.
O&O ShutUp 10 will show you what settings are changed after the update and you can redo them or accept the changes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks For answering me, I think I will wait with such products till I get a little more experience,Thankyou.:)(y)
Windows Privacy Dashboard (WPD) is an alternative. It is also very easy to use, with easy toggle switches on a larger UI. Check out their Documentation for help.

Blocking IPs may prevent Windows from functioning properly. Use "anti-telemetry tools" appropriately to avoid issues, else don't use at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.