ocsi's free security combination

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
A new combination of security:
- AVG IS 2014l + Router Firewall (security settings = WPA2-PSK)
- Hitman Pro
- Sandboxie
- Shadow Defender - sistem virtualization
- Firefox - add-ons: WOT and AdBlock Plus

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: free security combination

Good setup, you can add Hitman Pro as another on demand scanner.

For Firefox what are your addons installed?

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011

I would suggest you try EMET:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1677

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
What say this security setup:
- Panda Cloud Antivirus Free + SpyShelter Premium
- Windows XP SP3 Firewall + Router Firewall (security settings: WPA2-PSK)
- Sandboxie + Wondershare Time Freeze
- Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware Free (for on-demand scan)

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Cannot comment on the post above as I've not used some of the programs, even though they're good from reviews... my input/question is, also what add-ons do you have, and why have you settled on the basic/less secure XP Firewall as opposed to Comodo or Outpost? :)

Apart from that, still a nice setup you have.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011

jamescv7 said:
Good setup, you can add Hitman Pro as another on demand scanner.

For Firefox what are your addons installed?

"For Firefox what are your addons installed?" - just WOT

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For that case you can add Adblock Plus and Lastpass and your complete.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
Cannot comment on the post above as I've not used some of the programs, even though they're good from reviews... my input/question is, also what add-ons do you have, and why have you settled on the basic/less secure XP Firewall as opposed to Comodo or Outpost? :)

I asked because I need security solutions for weak PC.
Currently my security setup is:
- CIS 5.8
- Sandboxie
- Wondershare Time Freeze
- Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware
But I have weak PC: Laptop IBM, 512 Mb/RAM, 40 Gb, processor: 1,6 GHz. And, I want to change CIS.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
ocsi said:
AyeAyeCaptain said:

- CIS 5.8
- Sandboxie
But I have weak PC: Laptop IBM, 512 Mb/RAM, 40 Gb, processor: 1,6 GHz. And, I want to change CIS.

Thanks for the clarification, and to top it off NoScript is another good offering. So you're switching from CIS to something more simple (like you shown in your first post) that is more or less turn on and forget? Fair enough and let us know how your new setup turns out compared to your old one when you do it. :biggrin:

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
ocsi said:
AyeAyeCaptain said:

- CIS 5.8
- Sandboxie

Thanks for the clarification, and to top it off NoScript is another good offering. So you're switching from CIS to something more simple (like you shown in your first post) that is more or less turn on and forget? Fair enough and let us know how your new setup turns out compared to your old one when you do it. :biggrin:
CIS is good. Only when updated consume a lot of resources. The rest is OK.

Now my problem is that I can not decide between:
1) To stay with CIS (Router Firewall (WPA2-PSK)) + Sandboxie, Wondershare Time Freeze (I think I will stay at Shadow Defender) and MBAM

or

2) Avas! 6 Free + Malware defender (Windows XP Firewall + Router Firewall (WPA2-PSK)), Sandboxie, Wondershare Time Freeze (or Shadow Defender) and MBAM

or

3) Panda Cloud Antivirus Free + Malware defender (Windows XP Firewall + Router Firewall (WPA2-PSK)), Sandboxie, Wondershare Time Freeze (or Shadow Defender) and MBAM

I do not know!!! That's why I posted here to seek help.

D

Deleted member 178

i will say : CIS + Sandboxie + shadow defender + MBAM + NAT Wifi router ! heyyy !! it is my config !!! :D

go for it

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you want an offline protection then go to the setup no.2 or if you want less hassle as your connected to the internet then Panda Cloud automatically updated then go to setup no.3

For CIS if you can handle the resources during updating then go for it.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
umbrapolaris, jamescv7

Thanks for the prompt responses!:)
Finally I remain to CIS (Router Firewall (WPA2-PSK)) + Sandboxie, Shadow Defender and MBAM (for on-demans scan), Firefox (add-ons: WOT and NoScipt).
Thats all!! I think?! :huh:

D

Deleted member 178

you may add EMET ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544) and set it like there (http://rationallyparanoid.com/articles/microsoft-emet-2.html)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
A great solid config in my opinion, Comodo Internet Security can protect you well against malware. Both Known and Unknown Malware. While Sandboxie can increase your overall security more since everything is virtualized. Don't forget to Force Run your vulnerable programs and folders such as your browsers and almost any application that connects to the internet.

D

Deleted member 178

And i can tell you (because i tested it) a Malware that may bypass CIS , kept inside sandboxie, and your system is inside Shadow Defender's Shadow mode, has an almost zero chances to infect you :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
You're correct but nothing is invincible apparently. Not even that Virtualized setup of yours. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.