Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ocsi said:
A new combination of security:
- CIS 5.8 + Router Firewall (security settings = WPA2-PSK)
- Sandboxie - browser protect
- Shadow Defender - virtualization
- Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware - on-demand scan
- Firefox - add-ons: WOT and NoScript
A very solid security configuration...... +1 (BTW you can use the Full Edit option in the 1st post in order to refresh your security config with the new details)
Any special settings for CIS ?

Additional browser plugins

VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Additional on-demand scanner:
Hitman Pro (Trial) - link
An on-demand scanner using multiple anti-malware engines and cloud technology. It offers unlimited free scanning but once you use it to remove detected malware it switches to a 30-day trial version. I recommend using it after you've scanned your hard-drive with the other products you have installed.

PS : Salut si bine ai venit!:D

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello ocsi,
have you got any backup solutions?

If not here is a list of some that you could use and try.

Acronis True Image Home 2012
314-acronis-true-image11.jpg

Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional
315-paragon-drive-backup1.jpg

Norton Ghost 15
316-norton-ghost1.jpg

O&O DiskImage 5 Professional Edition
2778-oo-diskimage14.jpg

Image for Windows 2.58
320-image-for-windows1.jpg

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Nice post McLovin ( Rep +) now have you tried all of them, by any chance? And ocsi having a rock solid backup solution is crucial if you value your data.

Currently use CB 4 myself.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
Nice post McLovin ( Rep +) now have you tried all of them, by any chance? And ocsi having a rock solid backup solution is crucial if you value your data.

I have tried all except Image for Windows 2.58 and out of those I prefer Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional.

Account

Oct 19, 2011
McLovin said:
AyeAyeCaptain said:

I have tried all except Image for Windows 2.58 and out of those I prefer Paragon Drive Backup 10 Professional.

Image for Windows Version 2.66 made available since September 20, 2011
better than 2.58

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
@Jack
"Any special settings for CIS ?"
Not really!
Major settings CIS:
1) Comodo
- Proactive Security
2) Antivirus:
a) Real Time scanning
- On Acces
- checked: "Automatically update virus database" and "Show alerts/notification messeges"
- heuristics - high
b) Manual scanning
- checked all positions
- heuristics - high
3) Firewall:
- Custom Policy
- Stealth Ports = "Block all incoming ..."
- Firewall Behavior Settings = General Settings - Custom Policy; Alert Settings - Low; Advanced - not check "Monitor NDIS protocols ..."
4) Defense+:
- Safe Mode
- General Settings - Safe Mode
- Executions Control Settings enabled; "Treat unrecognized file as" - Partially Limited
- Sandbox - Enabled;
Etc, etc, etc, ..... :rolleyes:

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
You're pretty much secured with that configuration for Comodo Internet Security but I do think that your AV settings are cranked up way too high in my opinion! Try setting it at default levels as cranking up the Heuristics might give you some False Positives! No need to have your AV on On Access since you have the Firewall, Defense +, The cloud scanning and behavior blocking and the Sandbox to protect you.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
BoXX28 said:
You're pretty much secured with that configuration for Comodo Internet Security but I do think that your AV settings are cranked up way too high in my opinion! Try setting it at default levels as cranking up the Heuristics might give you some no! No need to have your AV on On Access since you have the Firewall, Defense +, The cloud scanning and behavior blocking and the Sandbox to protect you.
I agree with you! But I want to test it for a while with these settings (AV settings). So far nothing wrong, no F / P and normal running.
I will return to the settings provided by you (it was).

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
I did a attempt.
I returned to the old security combination (I quit CIS - for moment):
- Avast Free + Malware Defender
- Sandboxie + Shadow Defender
- Malwarebytes'Anti-Malware Free

It seems to me better than CIS. Why? Because:
1) CLT test:
a) CIS = 340/340 if ruls in sandboxie (CIS sandboxie); 290/340 if not ruls in sandboxie
b) Avast Free + Malware Defender = 320/340

2) Spyshelter KEYLOGGER test:
a) CIS =
Keylogging - PASSED
Webcam capture - not test
Screenshot - FAIL
Clipboard monitoring - FAIL
System protection:
- registry access 1 - PASSED
- registry acces 2 - PASSED
- driver registering - FAIL
Sound record - not test
b) Avast Free + Malware Defender =
Keylogging - PASSED
Webcam capture - not test
Screenshot - FAIL
Clipboard monitoring - FAIL
System protection:
- registry access 1 - PASSED
- registry acces 2 - PASSED
- driver registering - PASSED
Sound record - not test

3) MDL test (Malware Domain List):
Detection rate Avast Free + Malware Defender > CIS

CIS and Avast Free + Malware Defender (action / detection - both) = high security settings (heuristic, detection, etc.)
Conclusions: CIS = data security depends too much of user's decisions / Avast free + Malware Defender is lighter than CIS (CPU and RAM) / Detection rate (total/overall) Avast Free + Malware Defender > CIS
I know this test is not professionally test, but ... may be indicative. :blush:

D

Deleted member 178

you are wrong. CLT must be ran outside any sandbox (sandboxie or comodo sandbox) and with the Av component of CIS disabled. i got 340/340 (if you dont have this result means you made a mistake during the test, CLT was made by comodo so CIS must succeed at it)

For spyshelter, CIS block all (maybe i set it differently than yours) except the last test that is exclusive to Spyshelter (only it passed it). you made a decision after 2 leaktests, this is not relevant.

my spyshelter fast test: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Spyshelter-Anti-logger-test-program

of course CIS depend on User, it is not an apps for beginners but for advanced users, who like to know anything happening in their system. even if comodo try to make it friendly to users.

btw, users must use apps they are comfortable with, even if it they are not the best of the best. "i like to use a 1000cc sport motorbike but i dont know drive it, so i stick to my scooter" :D

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
you are wrong. CLT must be ran outside any sandbox (sandboxie or comodo sandbox) and with the Av component of CIS disabled. i got 340/340 (if you dont have this result means you made a mistake during the test, CLT was made by comodo so CIS must succeed at it)

For spyshelter, CIS block all except the last test that is exclusive to Spyshelter (only it passed it). you made a decision after 2 leaktests, this is not relevant.

my spyshelter fast test: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Spyshelter-Anti-logger-test-program

of course CIS depend on User, it is not an apps for beginners but for advanced users, who like to know anything happening in their system. even if comodo try to make it friendly to users
What we aprezentat previous is a challenge (for discussions - pro and contra). :angel:

D

Deleted member 178

updated my post, i just tell you that you did a mistake during CLT test.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
CLT doesn't make sense these days since most of the attacks used are being barely used now.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
BoXX28 said:
CLT doesn't make sense these days since most of the attacks used are being barely used now.
But, MDL test (Malware Domain List) makes sense? Detection rate Avast Free + Malware Defender > CIS!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Malware Defender works more in the lines of a classic HIPS application. It can provide an excellent level of protection if used by a knowledgeable user with lots of spare time to set-up rules :D . CIS is suited for a wider audience. CIS should achieve 340/340 on the CLT test... maybe switch CIS to proactive security?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.