Troubleshoot Old Computer Help

Runt85

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2017
What can i run on this?antivirus and ect?

Attachments

• 55555555555555555555555555555555.PNG
    55555555555555555555555555555555.PNG
    145.4 KB · Views: 468

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
you wouldnt get any performance increase if you was to switch to windows 8
the pc is ok, but i would only use it to browse, open documents nothing else.
you can maybe use 1gb of your ram as ramcache or ramdisk to speed up your pc. i have a 4gb ram athlon x2 pc (only use it for surfing n opening documents) i use 1gb for ramcache, it feels alot smoother.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
you wouldnt get any performance increase if you was to switch to windows 8
the pc is ok, but i would only use it to browse, open documents nothing else.
you can maybe use 1gb of your ram as ramcache or ramdisk to speed up your pc. i have a 4gb ram athlon x2 pc (only use it for surfing n opening documents) i use 1gb for ramcache, it feels alot smoother.
I don't know if it would be a wise choice as newer windows are pretty smart already to cache data in ram.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I don't know if it would be a wise choice as newer windows are pretty smart already to cache data in ram.

Good point but the RAM disk does give the option to add entire apps into RAM. Can help on lower powered PCs when running high demand applications. For a 1.4 GHz APU, I would give a RAMdisk a try for sure, considering the PC does have 4 GB...

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Good point but the RAM disk does give the option to add entire apps into RAM. Can help on lower powered PCs when running high demand applications. For a 1.4 GHz APU, I would give a RAMdisk a try for sure, considering the PC does have 4 GB...
But it would only be good for those apps which are in RAMdisk and because now there is only 3 GB left (4 - 1 for RAMdisk) for all other apps, which would suffer now. I don't see the benefit-to-hassle ratio high enough to gve it a try.
Still if it works for someone, good for them.
For a low powered cpu the best thing you can do is remove the antivirus and install CFW w/ CS config

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.