Old Smartphones

Are old Smartphones (5 to 10 years + years old) a security risk for the user ?

• No

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Like any brand. If they are a security risk when ? Like for example are they if you use them like a ultra small tablet just at home?

Reactions: Stopspying

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Example.

Previously, Samsung supports old phones for 3 yrs of OS updates and 4 yrs of security updates
For the latest phones, Samsung supports 4 yrs of OS updates and 5 yrs of security updates

And one more thing. Your old phone may not work with the latest features for these features likely to take advantage of the new CPU

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The only way you can be secure with old Android phones is by downloading APKs from official website/source and blocking everything Google/Samsung at the network level so it can't update/beacon out to the mothership 👽.

New phones are a different matter, you can block Google/Samsung services/apps, but you have to unblock to receive monthly roll up security/version updates so your vulnerable then 👎.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
This can not be a serious question considering, that people replace their smartphones every 6 months to 2 years (5 years tops), since it is literally for free as a part of subscription.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This can not be a serious question considering, that people replace their smartphones every 6 months to 2 years (5 years tops),...

I'm not certain that's correct. Mine is from 2016 or '17. No plans to get a new one.
since it is literally for free as a part of subscription.
Those days are over, my friend. Here's a current offer with our carrier, which is Verizon.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
apple is still providing security updates for 15 year old iphones that include firmware updates
They aren't. The original iPhone is just over 15 years old and the second iPhone model, the iPhone 3g is nearly 15 years old. They both received their final firmware updates in 2010.
iPhone OS 3.1.3 was the last version of iPhone OS (now iOS) to be released for this phone in February 2010
On November 22, 2010, the iPhone 3G received the iOS 4.2 software update (as iOS 4.2.1)

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
They aren't. The original iPhone is just over 15 years old and the second iPhone model, the iPhone 3g is nearly 15 years old. They both received their final firmware updates in 2010.

apologies, iphone 5 @ 10 years

"Apple has released software updates for its older iPhone and MacBook models – some as old and “obsolete” as the iPhone 5s, which launched 10 years ago in September 2013."

apple just made these security updates

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
apologies, iphone 5 @ 10 years

"Apple has released software updates for its older iPhone and MacBook models – some as old and “obsolete” as the iPhone 5s, which launched 10 years ago in September 2013."
[/URL]
That is impressive and it's a shame that support for Android phones isn't anywhere near as good. But I'm quite happy using a 6 year old Android phone and tablet. On the other hand, support for Macs is pretty terrible, considering that you can install current Windows versions on quite old hardware.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So you pass the fire risk to your mom?
It is designed to withstand temperatures up to 71C (160F), I doubt there is any chance of overheating, besides they said 5 years is the safe limit, I replace phone every 2 years, so 4 years for her.

Reactions: roger_m

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
My oneplus 5t broke so i have this old phone from 2018, latest security update is from october 2020 and its running fine for me. Of course i plan to upgrade in year or two ( not in rush)

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.