Edge
strict tracking prevention
Privacy Badger
Brave search

Firefox
strict tracking | total cookie protection
µBO hard mode
Brave search
Privacy features enabled via internal settings only for usability Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection

Brave
Brave shields @ aggressive + per-site switches
Brave search
All internal privacy settings enabled
Secure DNS
Quad9 DOH
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Brain.exe
Little Black Book
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in
File and Photo backup
External - Free Agent drive
System recovery
Aoemi Backupper
Restore points - weekly scheduled task
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Lenovo l340 i3 8145U CPU @ 2.10 GHz 2.300 GHz 8GB DDR4 RAM 1 TB HDD
Notable changes
7-1-21 Updated config as above
7-10-21 Switched out µBO & ClearURLs for Trace
7-13-21 Switched ClearURLs for Trace in Brave
7-16-21 Updated config as above - Edge as main browser
7-18-21 Brave uninstalled
7-21-21 Reverted to µBO as sole extension in browsers.
Updated Firefox search engines
Replaced Adguard DNS with Cloudfare DNS
8-24-21 Replaced µBO with Privacy Badger
8-28-21 Configured three browsers for compartmentalization
8.30.21 Back to µBO hard mode all three browsers
9.29.21 Back to Microsoft Defender and NextDNS
10.1.21 Added VoodooShield Pro
11.11.21 Removed VoodooShield & added TinyWall. Switched to Trace from µBO in Edge.
12.5.21 Replaced Trace with Privacy Badger
12.20.21 Reverted to Firefox internal settings only.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I changed the dns in adapter setting but it did not work maybe because of AVG web protection which uses a DNs service to protect against redirects to malicious urls.
This is the Payments Protection module, it can be turned off only for HTTPS (it’s a DNS over HTTPS itself) or can be disabled completely. It prevents DNS poisoning/DNS Hijacking attacks where a genuine website will be resolved to a fake one. These attacks sometimes happen on router level.

Enabling this module will cause all traffic to be resolved by AVG dns, which renders the attack impossible.

G

Guilhermesene

May I ask how did you setup your DNS? Is it set up in the router, or you changed the parameters in adapter settings?

Hi @The Cog in the Machine

I use NextDNS and configured it directly on my router (Mikrotik).

On my cell phone I configured it in the DNS network settings, since at home it is automatically used because the router that provides you with the wi-fi signal with filtering settings, but when I'm on the street or at a friend's house, protection continues due to having configured it in the cellular network settings, then inside and outside the home I continue with DNS filtering either on Wi-Fi or on the internet plan of my telephone operator.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I found the NextDNS app a little buggy with Brave, not showing continuous connection.

I'll try Cloudfare again.
DNS performance varies location to location. For me here NextDNS's ping often fluctuates which causes some instability for me specially while playing online games. I also get lower ping with the secondary DNS :unsure:
Adguard DNS always works great for me without any issue. I use Adguard DNS and NextDNS is for my family.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm now using Edge as my main browser because I'm tired of Brave devs not including or fixing some basic Chromium features, e.g. cookie exceptions that work. Also, I'm a bit tired of the feature bloat. Plus, I tested Trace in Brave and its etag filtering doesn't work which I attribute to the way Brave is built because it works fine in Edge. I guess love isn't always eternal! 🤔😀

Edit: Also using µBO in Easy Medium mode as suggested by @Lenny_Fox in both Edge and Firefox.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm now using Edge as my main browser because I'm tired of Brave devs not including or fixing some basic Chromium features, e.g. cookie exceptions that work. Also, I'm a bit tired of the feature bloat. I also tested Trace in Brave and its etag filtering doesn't work, which I attribute to the way Brave is built because it works fine in Edge. I guess love isn't always eternal! 🤔😀

Edit: Also using µBO in Easy Medium mode as suggested by @Lenny_Fox in both Edge and Firefox.
Good move (y)

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I'm now using Edge as my main browser because I'm tired of Brave devs not including or fixing some basic Chromium features, e.g. cookie exceptions that work. Also, I'm a bit tired of the feature bloat. I also tested Trace in Brave and its etag filtering doesn't work, which I attribute to the way Brave is built because it works fine in Edge. I guess love isn't always eternal! 🤔😀

Edit: Also using µBO in Easy Medium mode as suggested by @Lenny_Fox in both Edge and Firefox
Which one do you like more? Firefox or Edge and why?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.