Advice Request One SSD on a new laptop is it ok or best not to partition it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I plan on imaging it every day or every week. Though really don't need to image the data files.

That why I was thinking if I partition OS just to 100 GB then leave the rest for data ?

Drive/SSD is 512 GB.

No they do not have a lot of data.

My only worry is 100 GB enough for Windows 11 Home as time goes on ?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It's win10, but half of 80GB.
キャプチャ.PNG

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If you are going to image it the definitely keep your data in a secondary partition for quick recovery in case you system partition gets corrupted. 100gb may be enough. If you find out later you need more, you can always resize the partition.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
It's win10, but half of 80GB.
View attachment 271024
Yes of course it's your personal PC lol not work :p. he says this is for work

If you are going to image it the definitely keep your data in a secondary partition for quick recovery in case you system partition gets corrupted. 100gb may be enough. If you find out later you need more, you can always resize the partition.
Yes for example, D:\Data as 100GB, E:\Backup OS image as 150gb that would be good

Reactions: franz and piquiteco

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Alright, 150GB would be good for OS as C:\ and the rest for DATA as D:\, E:\, etc
I agree with this.

If you install a lot of software much of it often insists on being located in the main OS C:\ drive, even if you have a separate partition set aside for software. Space can be taken up very quickly because of this.

Reactions: franz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.