Advice Request OneDrive or Google Drive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Hello everyone

So, i am looking for a cloud storage provider. I am between OneDrive and GoogleDrive

Which do you suggest? I will mostly use it for files and stuff, my photos are stored on iCloud.

From what i read online, the most popular is Google Drive, but on the other hand, with just 50$/year i can get Office 365 along with lots of storage. I am concerned though, since i read that Microsoft does not encrypt the files that are stored on their server...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both are reliable services.

By default, Google offers more storage (15GB) than Microsoft's OneDrive (5GB). Google Backup and Sync, Gmail and Google Photos will all use your quota.

Download: google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/

Backup and Sync options for Photos.
1548094725857.png

If required, used space can be recovered at photos.google.com/settings
1548094580344.png

OneDrive may be better suited for heavy Windows 10 + Office 365 users, with the additional storage with a subscription.

If you hold a legacy Hotmail (or converted to Outlook) account, you may still hold between (15 to 30 GB free).

1548094916094.png

You can encrypt your own files.

Last edited:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
I use OneDrive for 2 years :) Office 365, 1 TB space everything I want in one place :)

PS: OneDrive app for iOS and macOS not so good, little bit buggy :) Slow upload speed and download sometime

Reactions: Fel Grossi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Google Drive

any specific reason?
It's just personal preference really, I prefer Google services. I suppose it depends on which of the two companies web services you use the most. I use a lot of Google's services so Google drive just suits me better personally, and, because I've used it for a long time I've become familiar with it. Plus I use Android and Google drive is pre-installed. Gdrive just makes more sense for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either service, they're both rock solid. Do you use Chrome, gmail and other google services? I'd make the choice based on which of the two companies services I used the most, which of the two offer app's for all your devices/platforms etc.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
It's just personal preference really, I prefer Google services. I suppose it depends on which of the two companies web services you use the most. I use a lot of Google's services so Google drive just suits me better personally, and, because I've used it for a long time I've become familiar with it. Plus I use Android and Google drive is pre-installed. Gdrive just makes more sense for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either service, they're both rock solid. Do you use Chrome, gmail and other google services? I'd make the choice based on which of the two companies services I used the most, which of the two offer app's for all your devices/platforms etc.

I think too that’s the best approach, if you use more google services go for gdrive if you use MS Office , Windows features go with OneDrive.

Both are top notch companies with excellent security teams. If you’re afraid about encryption use something like 7zip with AES 256, in that case though you won’t be able to use the files on the fly, and may find it too constrained and impractical - you’ll be using the online drive purely for backup purposes effectively

Reactions: kylprq and ZeroDay

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Google drive

Because they automatically upgrade all accounts from 1TB to 2TB recently, and you're paying a similar price for 2TB on Google Drive where you are paying for 1TB on onedrive.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Although reliability is there for they are big but don't use either for MS and Google will see into what you stored in their drives.... unless you encrypt your data

Reactions: SpratAttack

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Although reliability is there for they are big but don't use either for MS and Google will see into what you stored in their drives

If that’s a concern (author has not specified if files are sensitive/personal so may not be) , with gsuite (paid) if I recall external contractors & external devs no longer have access, docs no longer scanned for ads, only limited internal staff has access

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Both are really good to be fair. I would say choose OneDrive if you use Office and Windows 10 often, and opt for Google Drive if Android and Google services are your go-to option.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.