Advice Request OneDrive or Google Drive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes google can read it but using gsuite means more internal controls are applied. Fortune 500 companies use gsuite, chances of identity theft via leaked documents from gsuite are infinitesimal
As far as I know Google does offer secured services but privacy-wise they are a no no. Google is a data mining company

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Google drive

Because they automatically upgrade all accounts from 1TB to 2TB recently, and you're paying a similar price for 2TB on Google Drive where you are paying for 1TB on onedrive.

You are not only getting 1 TB space on onedrive. You are also getting full office suite. Office 365 Home Edition can be shared with 6 different users and each users gets 1 TB one drive storage along with full office suite which includes free upgrade to future version of office.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I would suggest a totally different solution i.e. Box. Cloud is not the core business for MS & Google, but for Box cloud is everything. If MS & Google feel that cloud is not giving them enough return they can stop their services any time.
Also, by my experience Box is more smooth than these two.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
You are not only getting 1 TB space on onedrive. You are also getting full office suite. Office 365 Home Edition can be shared with 6 different users and each users gets 1 TB one drive storage along with full office suite which includes free upgrade to future version of office.

There is no need to constantly paying to use Office 365, I am using the 2016 version which has a license that lasts forever.

g4nu5

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2018
Mega cloud more secure encrypted E2E and for free plane take 50 Gb So its more powerful also faster than other cloud , really its amazing.
you can register go to : www.mega.nz

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Mega cloud more secure encrypted E2E and for free plane take 50 Gb So its more powerful also faster than other cloud , really its amazing.
you can register go to : www.mega.nz

E2E encrypted but they had their browser addin hijacked a few months ago.
products from big tech cos are more reliable, tend to have better internal processes etc, of course other things being equal e2e is very good to have but when other things are not equal ( product quality, price, security of their processes), e2e can’t be the only factor to take into account

Reactions: g4nu5
L

Local Host

Again, if you are focusing on the cloud aspect, google drive gives you double the space onedrive does
Cloud is more than space, I have no need for 2TB in the first place, GDrive has nothing to offer in terms of usability for me (only the fact OneDrive is integrated into W10 is already a win).

Not to mention I don't trust Google with any data, whiners can complain about Microsoft Data Collection all day long, the difference between Google and Microsoft, is that one ID tags every data it collects, while the other randomizes most of the data it gets (guess who just got fined again, like every year).

Not to mention the huge bonus that is Office 365, which I use for work.

Reactions: upnorth
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

the difference between Google and Microsoft, is that one ID tags every data it collects, while the other randomizes most of the data it gets
That's what you want to believe in and have been told to. There is no difference in terms of handling users privacy between Microsoft and Google. One is left and one is right arm, both collaborate in shower and tend to drop soap, and when they do, they pick it up fast for anyone to.. get close to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

g4nu5

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2018
that's right , but this for chrome extension affected and not all , so all products under attack big company or not , also all features from mega its amazing from security side. any way you are right , but to my mind this is best ever until now. thank you mr notabot.

E2E encrypted but they had their browser addin hijacked a few months ago.
products from big tech cos are more reliable, tend to have better internal processes etc, of course other things being equal e2e is very good to have but when other things are not equal ( product quality, price, security of their processes), e2e can’t be the only factor to take into account

L

Local Host

That's what you want to believe in and have been told to. There is no difference in terms of handling users privacy between Microsoft and Google. One is left and one is right arm, both collaborate in shower and tend to drop soap, and when they do, they pick it up fast for anyone to.. get close to them.
Is actually what I know not what I been told, as I been at Microsoft in multiple times during my lifetime, and know multiple people who work there. The telemetry data everyone complains about can't be reassembled nor tied to anyone.

As is just that, telemetry data which everyone company has, Google gathers personal information and ties it all to an ID (regardless if you have an account or not, they use IPs and HWIDs to identify you).

At most Microsoft has your Account ID which can be used for other more personal data, but that is your choice, like location data, history, favorites, settings, all that can be turned OFF and ON with no fuss.

If you don't have a Microsoft Account tied to Windows 10, they don't gather any of that data in the first place, only the telemetry data which I mentioned in the first paragraph.

People can whine all they want about Microsoft, but is Google who pays fines every year, not Microsoft.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft doesn't scan your files unless you get high traffic from multiple sources (your account gets flagged), I don't know about Dropbox.
Should be noted that both Google and Microsoft scan files before they are downloaded from OneDrive.com for malware.

Reactions: ZeroDay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.